Potato cheese roll is a popular snack, made out of mashed potato stuffed with elegant stick of cheddar cheese, mixed with pepper and salt. It has a crispy coating on the outside made of egg and breadcrumbs and a very soft layer of mashed potatoes on the inside with oozing cheddar cheese in the middle. It can be eaten as a snack or an appetizer depending on its size. Potato cheese rolls are commonly skewed in bamboo sticks for easy consumption. It is best enjoyed with different sauces like mayonnaise, ketchup and mustard.
POTATO CHEESE ROLLS
Potatoes and cheese are two of my most favorite food items in this world. I love them so much that I go crazy whenever I put them together in one dish. Potato cheese roll was an accidental discovery for me at first. But now, it became one of my comfort food. I made my very first potato cheese roll as I was particularly making potato cheese balls. I made a large batch of potato cheese balls for my family. As a reward for the labor I did, I decided to make a very big potato cheese ball just for me. But I remembered that the potato cheese balls must not be too big so that there would be even heat throughout the ball. This had me stretching the potato cheese ball into a potato cheese roll. Later on, I discovered that potato cheese roll was a thing. The mashed potatoes from my very first accidental cheese rolls were plain. The next time I did it, I put a lot of flavors into the mashed potato coatings. And with my current knowledge on potato cheese rolls, I now put these rolls in a skewers so I can hold them easily and eat them literally anywhere I want! Potato rolls are soft and sweeter taste dish loved by all.
HOW TO MAKE POTATO CHEESE ROLLS
Prepare the potatoes. Wash the potatoes and peel the skin off. Cut the potatoes into quarters for faster cooking. Soak the peeled potatoes in water when preparing other potatoes to prevent darkening. Heat a saucepan and boil some water. Add the prepared potatoes and cover the pan. Let the potatoes boil until it softens. To check if the potatoes are soft, use the fork test. Try to mash a piece of potato. If the potatoes are easily mashable, then the potatoes are done. If not, continue boiling for a few minutes and do the fork test again. Another way of checking the softness of the potatoes is by tasting it. Get a small piece of potato and try to mash it in your mouth. When the potatoes are soft enough, drain the potatoes and transfer to a large mixing bowl. You can also opt to boil the potatoes with the skin on. It is easier to peel the potatoes when they are boiled.
Mash the potatoes using a fork. If you will be dealing with a large batch of boiled potatoes, it would be easier to mash the potatoes using a wire whisk. Make sure that there are no lumps. To help make the mashed potatoes extra smooth with no lumps, let the mashed potatoes pass through a strainer. Set the mashed potatoes aside.
Get the block of cheddar cheese and cut it into fingerlike size. This cheese stick will be at the middle of the potato cheese balls later. If you want some pulling action on your potato cheese rolls later, you may add mozzarella cheese on the side of the cheddar cheese. Skew each cheese stick into bamboo sticks.
Time to add flavor to the mashed potatoes. Add the chopped ham and spring onions. You may opt to add other vegetables with different taste and color to make it more appealing. Mix the mashed potatoes using a spatula and season with salt and pepper. Continue mixing the mashed potatoes until the components are well-blended and smooth.
Scoop some mashed potato mixture and flatten it in your palm. Place the cheese in a stick in the middle and coat the cheese with the potato mixture. Make sure that all parts of the cheese is well-coated. Do not put to much thick mashed potato coating. The ratio of the mashed potato coating to the cheese stick must be considered. Repeat this step until the cheese sticks and mashed potato mixture is fully consumed.
Before frying, coat the potato cheese rolls in egg and in breadcrumbs. Heat a pan under medium heat and pour some oil for shallow-frying. Make sure that the oil is hot before adding the potato cheese rolls. Add the potato cheese rolls in the pan and fry for a few minutes. Do not remove the bamboo skewer. Roll the potato cheese rolls in the pan to make sure that all sides are cooked. The potato cheese rolls are cooked when golden brown. Transfer the cooked potato cheese rolls in a strainer or on a tissue paper to drain the excess oil. Place the cooked product in a serving plate and drizzle with your favorite sauce before consuming. Enjoy eating! Potato roll burger is the food especially that creates strong emotional connections to the people eating it. They are sturdy and strong, at the same time soft and moist with slightly sweet flavor.
Some of the sauces which can complement the potato cheese rolls include mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard sauce, garlic mayonnaise or if you’re a real fan of cheese, try adding more cheese sauce. Mashed potato roll recipes are for making the best traditional simple food.
Potato Cheese RollsCourse: Snacks
500 grams potatoes
1 block cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup pre-cooked ham (optional)
2 tablespoons spring onion
1 cup breadcrumbs
oil for frying
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut into quarters. Soak in water to prevent darkening.
- Boil some water in a saucepan. Add the potatoes. Cover the pan and let the potatoes cook until they are soft. Use the fork test to check on the softness of the potatoes. Remove from the heat and drain. Mash the potatoes using a fork. Set aside.
- Cut the cheddar cheese bar into finger-sized sticks. Skew each cheese piece using a bamboo stick. Set aside.
- Transfer the mashed potatoes in a large mixing bowl. Add chopped pre-cooked ham and spring onions. Mix using a spatula. Season with salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Scoop some potato mixture and flatten it using your palm. Place the cheese in a stick in the middle and coat the cheese with the potato mixture. Make sure that all parts of the cheese is well-coated.
- Prepare 2 plates. On the first plate, crack the egg and scramble. On the second plate, add some breadcrumbs.
- Coat the potato cheese roll in the egg wash. Then coat with breadcrumbs. Repeat this process with the rest of the potato cheese rolls.
- Heat some oil in a pan under medium heat for shallow-frying. Fry the potato cheese rolls in batches. Make sure that they have enough space to cook. Roll the potato cheese rolls in the pan to make sure that all sides are cooked. Continue cooking until the potato cheese rolls are golden brown.
- Transfer the cooked potato cheese rolls in a strainer or on a tissue paper to drain excess oil.
- Serve hot and enjoy with your favorite sauce.