Perfect creamy chicken lasagna you don’t need an oven. This could be your favorite dish next year!
WHAT IS LASAGNA?
The origin of Pasta was a long time back in ancient Greece. Lasagna or “Lasagne” was derived from the Greek word “Laganon” and is the first known type of the pasta which used to be layers of pasta and sauce. Eventually, Italy claims that it was them, but they can only be credited with perfecting the layers and layers of the scrumptious dish we call Lasagna. Later, most of the Filipinos adopted this recipe. Most pasta is made from fresh, flat dough, but we prefer to use instant pasta noodles here in the Philippines.
Most lasagnas are baked in oven but in this recipe I improvised the “no oven ” process specially for those who love lasagna but doesn’t have any oven to bake it. So instead, I improvised it by using a pan or pot with a wire rack in the middle. Just like the oven, I preheated first the pan by covering it and then I place my Lasagna inside the pan and bake it. The result is just almost the same as it was been baked in the oven. This is a life saver hack. You should try it.
WHAT IT IS MADE OF?
Lasagna is a basic and highly versatile dish that can be made with meat, vegetables, ham, cheese, etc. If you do not own an oven that keeps you from eating your favorite lasagna, with this recipe, we will help you prepare your favorite lasagna with basic ingredients and use a pan as an alternative for baking your pasta. Yes , yes! You have read it right, a Lasagna baking in a pan.
All you need to prepare are the typical ingredients for making lasagna and these are lasagna noodles, ground chicken, but you can use ground beef or ground pork depending on the meat you choose to use, some vegetables such as carrots, meat sauce, cheese and white sauce. Adding any herbs like oregano, rosemary, thyme or Italian spices to your lasagna will improve the taste of your recipe. So do not be afraid to add a little bit to it. You should make this no-bake lasagna recipe no matter how hectic the time for dinner is. Find out the recipe included here.
No-Oven Chicken Lasagna
1 pack Lasagna Noodles (around 10 sheets)
Water (as needed enough to cook the entire lasagna noodles)
Quickmelt Cheese, grated (for toppings)
- FOR MEAT SAUCE
2 tablespoon Oil
1 medium Onion, minced
3 cloves Garlic, minced
500 grams Ground chicken
1/2 cup Carrots, grated
2 tablespoon Tomato Paste
2 cups Tomato Sauce
1 teaspoon Oregano, optional
1 teaspoon Pepper
1 teaspoon Salt
1 piece Chicken broth cube
2 teaspoon Sugar, optional
1/2 cup Water (or chicken stock)
- WHITE SAUCE
3 tablespoon Butter, unsalted
3 tablespoon All Purpose Flour
2 cups Milk (evaporated, fresh or whole milk)
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup Cheddar Cheese (grated)
- Boil water in a stock pot with a little of salt then add lasagna noodles.
- Cook lasagna noodles until well done or “al dente”.
- Once it is cooked, drain water and set aside the pasta.
- Meat sauce:
- In a sauce pan, sauté minced onion and garlic.
- Add ground chicken and continue sautéing until slightly brown.
- Add grated carrots and sauté for a minute.
- Add tomato paste and tomato sauce then mix well.
- Add oregano, pepper, salt, chicken broth cubes and sugar to your pasta sauce and stir.
- Add water or chicken stock to your pasta sauce and mix completely.
- Cover your pan and simmer the sauce for 10 minutes in medium low heat. After simmering, set aside the meat sauce.
- White Sauce:
- In a sauce pan, melt the unsalted butter in low heat.
- Add the all purpose flour and mix it well with melted butter.
- Add gradually or small amount of milk onto your butter mixture and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper then cook in low heat until it thickens. Stir gradually.
- Once the mixture becomes thick, turn off the heat.
- Add the cheddar cheese to the white sauce mixture.
- Stir until the cheese is completely melted. Set aside.
- Place first a meat sauce on a microwavable food container or in an aluminum pan.
- Then add a cooked lasagna noodles on top of the meat sauce. Let it overlap to hold the sauce better.
- Add another layer of meat sauce on top of the cooked lasagna noodles.
- Add a layer of white sauce on top of the meat sauce. Spread it evenly.
- Add another layer of cooked lasagna noodle on top of the white sauce.
- Then do it all over again the process.
- The last layer on top should be the meat sauce and white sauce.
- Top a grated cheese and spread it evenly.
- “BAKING” lasagna without oven
- Preheat a pan or pot with lid for 10 minutes with a wired rack inside.
- Place the lasagna inside the pan and cover it.
- Bake for 30 minutes in low heat.
- Rest the lasagna for at least 30 minutes before cutting and serving. Enjoy!
- For cooking lasagna noodles, avoid stirring excessively as this will break down the noodles into tiny particles.
- Adding some salt and oil to your boiling water when preparing your pasta noodles will help add some taste and keep the pasta from sticking together.
- You can also use other meat depending on your preferences.
- Tomato paste helps to improve the taste of your meat sauce.
- You can also use marinara or pasta sauce or whichever sauce you choose.
- Using any herbs like oregano will improve the Italian taste of your pasta.
- Sweet tomato sauce is more popular with Filipino meat sauce.
- Stock helps to enhance the taste of your meat. When making a stock, use a chicken bone or, depending on the type of meat you prefer you used for your lasagna recipe and boil it in a water. You can also use chicken broth cubes and dissolve in boiling water.
- Melting the butter should be done in low heat to prevent heating the butter that turns into fat or oil.
- By gradually adding milk or small batches to your white sauce, it helps to combine well.
- If using a pan or a pot to bake your lasagna, make sure the pan is large enough to fit your lasagna container.