Hotdog cheese rolls are cheesy savory rolls, where hotdog and cheese rolled in a flattened bread and fried in oil after dipping in egg water mix and bread crumbs. This simple snack can be done with just a few ingredients you can easily find at home. This Hotdog cheese rolls are easy and fun afternoon snack surprise for kids and young adults at heart.
How was the hotdog and corndog invented?
Hot dogs are a steamed sausage, similar to a frankfurter, or wiener that is grilled or steamed, slathered with condiments like ketchup, pickles and or mustard. It dates back to the 9thcentury but is well recognized to have originated in Germany but the modern version that we know today was made from the United States. These were then called ‘red hots’ because of its bright red color. Even as it got popular in the United States, a Jewish immigrant names Nathan Handwerker from Poland was the person that popularized the dish as he lived working in a hot dog stand at Coney Island and succeeded to compete with other food stands.
Though nowadays there is a fine line of distinction of a hot dog and a sausage. Hot dogs were then seen as a ‘working class street food’ available at stands and pushcarts easily seen at baseball or ball games in American culture. The hot dogs are usually paired with a long white bread that perfectly fits the hot dog. Before the buns were invented, white gloves were used to hold on to the hot dogs to avoid from putting grease or getting scalded. And thus started making bread to contain the hot dogs. For other the start of the hot dogs on a bun was made by Charles Feltman who wanted to sell his sandwiches with something different to compare with other sandwich stands, and decided to try adding hot dogs or frankfurters because of it’s popularity.
But aside the Hot dogs on a bun, Corndogs are also a well-known street food, which is essentially a deep fried snack made with sausages or hotdogs, battered with dough and sometimes breadcrumbs, fried to a crispy golden hue. Corndogs originated in the 1920’s introduced by German Texans in the United States. They were then added with sticks to make it more convenience and became once of the first fried food on a stick which were popular at the time as it could be eaten in a cleaner way. These days’ corndogs are made with other ingredients like cheese, bacon or even vegetarian to suit the taste of each individual.
What are Hotdog cheese rolls?
Bread, hotdogs, and cheese are usually common ingredients you can find at home. These combinations in some cases are eaten separately for breakfast or an afternoon snack after school or a quick break at work. Corn dogs are a common street food seen outside and inside malls, or sold by street vendors outside work and schools. This recipe will be a quick and easy alternative that can be done in less than 10 minutes!
You can easily freeze this snack and cook it in a pinch!
Hot Dog Cheese RollsCourse: Easy Meals, Snacks
An easy cheesy snack
5 pieces of white bread
Slices of any cheese
1 large egg
1 tablespoon of water
1 – 2 cups breadcrumbs
Oil for frying
- Prepare the white bread, slice the brown corners and flatten with a rolling pin. Place the hotdog and the cheese slices in one end and roll till the end.
- Optional: pin with toothpicks.
- Prepare a bowl with an egg and water mixed together, and another with breadcrumbs. Dip the hotdog bread in the egg then coat this with breadcrumbs. Make sure this is fully coated with breadcrumbs. You can also leave the breaded hotdog in freezer for 10 minutes for the ‘crust’ to stick better.
- In a pan at medium heat, add oil, drop some breadcrumbs on the oil, if it starts sizzling add the corndogs flipping it each side after 2 – 3 minutes or till it looks golden.
- Place on a wire rack or paper towel to remove the excess oil. Serve while warm.
- Use any kind of hotdog or bread. Just make sure that it has enough space to roll the hotdog and cheese together.
Hot dog roll Recipe (tagalog):
- 5 hotdogs
- 5 pirasong puting tinapay
- Pahabang hiwa ng keso
- 1 malaking itlog
- 1 kutsarang tubig
- 1 o 2 tasa ng breadcrumbs
- Mantika pang prito
- Maghanda ng tinapay, Hatiin ang mga kayumangging gilid at patagin gamit ang rodilyo. Ilugar ang hotdog at keso sa isang dulo at irolyo hangang sa isang dulo.
- Opsyonal: gumamit ng toothpick para maayos ang pagrolyo ng hotdog.
- Maghanda ng tasa para haluin ang itlog at tubig, at isa pa para sa breadcrumbs. Isawsaw ang hotdogs sa itlog tapos sa breadcrumbs. Siguraduhing na natakpan ang tinapay ng breadcrumbs ng mabuti. Pwede ding iwanin ang mga ito sa freezer ng 10 na minuto para mas madikit ang mga breadcrumbs.
- Ilagay ang kawali sa taas ng kalan na may katamtammang init, lagyan ng mantika. Wisikan ng breadcrumbs at pag naluto ito handa na ang mantika, ipaltik ng 2 o 3 na minuto sa bawat gilid o hanggang mag kulay kayumanggi.
- Ilugar sa raketa o sa tissue para matangal ang sobrang mantika. Ihanda habang mainit-init pa.