Pork Adobo with Sprite is a sweet version of Filipino adobo made by cooking pork pieces in a sauce made with soy sauce, vinegar, pepper, garlic, onion, bay leaves, sprite and water. This dish is tangy, sweet and savoury with balanced flavours from the soy sauce, vinegar, aromatics and of course, the lemon soda. Pork Adobo with Sprite is best served during lunchtime with a whole pot of hot steaming rice! Totally winner, Filipino dinner!
WHAT IS PORK ADOBO?
The word “adobo” is actually a way of cooking wherein meat is simmered in a mixture of vinegar, soy sauce and garlic. This is the real traditional way of making adobo dishes, commonly with chicken or pork. Fatty pork cuts are usually used which is neutralized by the acidity of the vinegar. Modern versions of adobo also includes onions, which became one of the staple aromatics aside from garlic, and sliced potatoes.
Adobo is a super easy dish without needing any fancy ingredients. Whenever we ran out of pantry ingredients, we resort to cooking adobo since it involves only the basic Filipino condiments. With the simplest ingredients, pork adobo remains one of the crowd’s favorite and definitely one of my comfort foods.
ADOBO MAGIC USING SPRITE
Making pork adobo with the magic of sprite follows the same steps on how to make the classic adobo you know. You may use any pork cut you like. In making this adobo, I would highly recommend pork cuts with both lean and fat parts, such as the liempo or pork belly. The fat will later melt and this natural meat oil will contribute a lot to the flavor of this dish.
To start, marinate the pork cuts. The marinade will also be our sauce base for later. Sear the pork to seal the juices inside. Browning the edges will also add a bit smoky flavor. Remove the pork from the pan and sauté your aromatics. Add the seared pork, marinade, the sprite and the rest of the aromatics. Let it simmer until the pork is tender. If you want “nagmamantikang adobo”, continue cooking for a longer period using high heat. Prepare a lot of rice because this dish will unleash the hungry you!
Pork Adobo with SpriteCourse: Uncategorized
1 kilo pork (cut into serving pieces)
½ cup soy sauce
1/3 cup vinegar
½ teaspoon black pepper
7 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 medium-sized onion (minced)
1 tablespoon peppercorns (whole)
3 – 4 pieces dried bay leaves
1 small bottle of sprite (295mL)
1 cup water
- In a large bowl, add the pork cuts, soy sauce, vinegar and black pepper. Mix well and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Strain the meat and reserve the marinade. Sear the pork cuts until brown on both sides or until oil has been rendered from the fat. When browned, remove the meat from the pan.
- In the same pan, sauté the garlic and onions until aromatic. Add the seared pork back to the pan and sauté for a minute.
- Add the marinade and let it cook for 2 minutes. Do not stir. After a while, stir to coat with the sauce. Add the peppercorns, bay leaves, sprite and water.
- Cover the pan and let it simmer for 30 – 45 minutes using medium low heat or until the pork is tender. Stir occasionally to cook the pork evenly.
- Use the fork test to check if the pork is tender. If you want a dry adobo, cook it for a few more minutes until the sauce almost dries up.
- Transfer the pork adobo with sprite to a serving plate. Serve with hot steaming rice. Enjoy!
Adobong Baboy with Sprite Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 1 kilo ng baboy (hiniwa sa serving pieces)
- ½ tasa ng toyo
- 1/3 tasa ng suka
- ½ kutsarita ng paminta
- 7 butil ng bawang (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 1 sibuyas (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 1 kutsara ng buong paminta
- 3 – 4 piraso ng tuyong bay leaves
- 1 maliit na bote ng sprite (295mL)
- 1 tasa ng tubig
- Ilagay ang baboy, toyo, suka at paminta sa isang malaking bowl. Haluing mabuti at imarinate ng 30 minutes.
- I-strain ang baboy at isantabi ang marinade. Iprito ng bahagya ang baboy hanggang maging brown at lumabas ang mantika nito. Ilipat ang baboy sa ibang lalagyan.
- Sa parehas na kawali, igisa ng bawang at sibuyas ng ilang minuto. Ilagay ang baboy at igisa ng isang minuto.
- Ilagay ang marinade at hayaan itong maluto ng 2 minuto nang hindi hinahalo. Haluin ito para malagyan ng sauce ang baboy. Ilagay ang buong paminta, bay leaves, sprite at tubig.
- Takpan ang kawali at hayaan itong maluto ng 30 – 45 minuto gamit ang katamtamang mababang apoy o hanggang lumambot ang baboy. Haluin paminsan-minsan para maging pantay ang luto.
- Tusukin ng tinidor ang baboy para malaman kung malambot na. Kung gusto mo ng tuyong adobo, lutuin pa ito ng ilang minuto hanggang halos maiga na.
- Ilipat ang pork adobo with sprite sa isang serving plate. Samahan ito ng mainit na kanin. Enjoy!