Can you imagine a baby nugget? No need to go to KFC and make your own popcorn chicken at home! Popcorn chicken is a no-fail snack made with bite-sized chicken crusted with a crispy and spiced coating dipped in your favorite sauce.
Popcorn chicken are bite-sized chicken pieces enjoyed with a variety of dipping sauces. It is called popcorn chicken because the size and the crispy coating resembles a popcorn. The chicken snack become famous with its crispy and spiced crust with a tender and juicy meat inside. Popcorn chicken is always ready to accompany you during binge watching or enjoyed with your friends during drinking on a Friday night.
This dish is made popular by KFC worldwide. KFC or Kentucky Fried Chicken is famous for making the best spiced chicken best admired by almost everyone around the world. And KFC adding a new chicken dish will always be a phenomenal craze! Before being made famous by KFC, these little chicken popcorn was first made to fit small pieces of fried chicken in small lunchboxes. Unfortunately, some KFC restaurants removed this dish from their menu but the chicken popcorn remained a trademark of KFC. People from different parts of the world tried making their own versions of the popcorn chicken using the spices mostly associated with KFC like paprika powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
If you have read our previous blogs, you’ll know that I love unlocking restaurant-style recipes. And as a chicken lover, I am one of those who tried figuring out the 1 secret herbs and spices used by KFC in their chicken coating. Or was it really 11? I also believe that homemade popcorn chicken is better since it is healthier on the fact that I can use the tyoe of oil I want. Some popcorn chicken recipes also used boneless thigh. In my version, I used the low-fat chicken breast. The popcorn chicken are fun to be eaten as it is but you can try it with some sauce like garlic mayo, barbecue, honey mustard, sweet and sour, and ranch. Instead of dipping, you can opt to make a sauce coating to make it more convenient to eat.
HOW TO COOK POPCORN CHICKEN
The popcorn chicken is a very simple chicken dish and you can make it in a few easy steps. This dish is very easy to make and can be prepared in less than 15 minutes, suited for people who are always on-the-go who likes to have a good snack on the road.
Start with preparing your chicken breast and cut them into 1-inch cubes. This size gives the best texture out of every bite and still retains moisture, making the resulting chicken juicy. Place the chicken in a large bowl and add the other ingredients to make a thin batter. This thin batter will let the dry coating stick to the chicken cubes better. You can make a large batch of the chicken cubes in thin batter and just store them in the fridge until you feel like enjoying some.
You might actually wonder what makes this dish is so special. The secret lies in the coating. KFC has their secret coating using 11 spices which are still making everyone curious about. Prepare the dry flour coating by mixing the coating ingredients until well-combined. Now, coat the chicken cubes with the dry flour mixture well. Tap excess flour as those will only sink and burn at the bottom of the pan later. Deep fry the popcorn chicken and do not move them too much. Cook in batches to give the popcorn chicken space to cook evenly. Grab your favorite dipping sauce and dunk the crispy and flavorful popcorn chicken. Hear the loud crunch on every bite!
Popcorn ChickenCourse: Chicken Recipes
½ kilo chicken breast (chopped into cubes)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1 medium-sized egg
2 tablespoons cornstarch
- For the coating:
¾ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken cubes, ground black pepper, paprika powder, salt and soy sauce. Crack an egg and then mix everything until well-combined. Add the cornstarch and mix well. Set aside.
- For the flour coating, combine the all-purpose flour, chili powder, salt, pepper and garlic powder (optional) in a shallow plate. Mix until well-combined.
- Coat the chicken cube with the flour mixture. Transfer to a container and tap to remove excess flour. Do these steps with the rest of the chicken cubes.
- Heat some oil in a pan for deep-frying. Fry the chicken cubes for 10 minutes using low-medium heat until golden brown.
- Transfer the popcorn chicken to a strainer or paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Serve the popcorn chicken with your favorite dip and enjoy!
Watch How to Cook Popcorn Chicken
Paano Magluto ng Popcorn Chicken Tagalog
- ½ kilo pitso ng manok (hiwain ng cubes)
- 1 kutsara ng toyo
- ½ kutsarita ng asin
- 1 kutsarita ng paminta
- 1 kutsarita ng paprika powder
- 1 itlog
- 2 kutsara ng cornstarch
Para sa coating:
- ¾ tasa ng harina
- 1 kutsarita ng chili powder
- 1 kutsarita ng asin
- 1 kutsarita ng paminta
- 1 kutsarita ng garlic powder (optional)
- Sa isang malaking bowl, paghaluhaluin ang manok, durog na paminta, paprika powder, asin, toyo at itlog. Haluin ang mga ito ng mabuti. Ilagay ang cornstarch at haluin. Isantabi.
- Para sa flour coating, paghaluhaluin ang harina, chili powder, asin, paminta at garlic powder (optional) sa isang mababaw na pinggan. Haluin ang mga ito ng mabuti.
- I-coat ang mga manok gamit ang flour mixture. Ilipat ang mga ito sa isang lalagyan at i-tap para matanggal ang sobrang coating. Gawin ang steps na ito sa iba pang piraso ng manok.
- Magpainit ng maraming mantika. Iprito ang mga manok ng 10 minuto gamit ang mababang katamtamang apoy hanggang maging golden brown.
- Ilipat ang popcorn chicken sa isang strainer o paper towel para tumulo ang sobrang mantika.
- Ihain ang popcorn chicken kasama ang iyong favorite ng dip. Enjoy!