Halabos na Hipon is made by braising large Shrimps in salted water, sweet lemon oo lime soda. The word “halabos” means “to cook in salted water”. The original version of this dish uses just salted water to simmer the shrimps. Modern versions became more creative and gave this dish a twist by using lemon soda to give the dish a hint of sweetness. In this Halabos na Hipon, shrimp is cooked in lemon soda with garlic, salt, chili flakes and garnished with spring onion.
HALABOS NA HIPON
Halabos na Hipon is usually prepared for boodle fights at the kubo during in beach outings. Nothing is happier than eating seafood during your snack time during swimming time. But since we are in a lockdown, you can still enjoy this dish while you swim at your inflatable pool on your backyard. What a good time to reminisce our beach days. It can also be enjoyed as a finger food anytime you want it.
Shrimps are relatively expensive nowadays. This dish is recommended if you want to have some fancy meal for your family dinner. If you see this dish in a special occasion, it may only mean that the celebrators really did allot money for the food.
As the modern version of halabos na hipon is becoming more and more famous, that’s the recipe I will share to you today. This dish is very simple to make and is ready in less than 20 minutes. The goal is to braise the shrimp in sweet soda and infuse shrimp flavor to the sauce together with some spices. This recipe can also be done on crabs and other seafood.
HOW TO COOK HALABOS NA HIPON
To make the best halabos na hipon dish, use the freshest shrimp you can find. I suggest you buy your shrimps from the fishermen so you’re sure it’s fresh and newly-caught.
To enjoy this appetizing dish, you will need to follow these few simple steps. Start with sautéing the aromatics and the shrimps. When the shrimps are turning orange, it means that they are starting to cook. From this point, you need to be cautious to prevent the shrimp from overcooking. This can make the shrimp dry.
Make the sauce by adding the lemon soda and letting the shrimp braise in it. Some of the most common lemon sodas used are Sprite and 7Up #NotSponsored. Some people remove the shrimp shells but I prefer not to. The shells will catch some of the sauce, making it juicy and so saucy! I’m drooling right now! Yum!
When the shrimp goodness has been infused in the sauce, remove the shrimp from the pan and let the sauce thicken. The last step is to coat the shrimp with the thick sweet sauce. The result would be a tender and juicy shrimp dish. I prefer to eat the shrimp as it is but some people enjoy it with a special vinegar dip. Halabos na hipon is usually enjoyed with green mango salad and salted egg salad especially during a boodle fight. If you’re enjoying this dish at home, you can make papak the shrimps or eat it as an ulam. Enjoy eating halabos na hipon with your friends and family.
Halabos na HiponCourse: Seafood
½ kilo shrimp
4 cloves of garlic (minced)
½ cup lemon soda or water
salt to taste
pinch of chili flakes
onion springs (for garnishing)
- Heat some oil in a pan and sauté the garlic until fragrant and light brown. Add the shrimp and sauté for a minute.
- When shrimp turns orange, add the lemon soda. Season with salt. Continue cooking for a minute.
- Remove the shrimps from the pan. Simmer the sauce until it thickens.
- When the sauce is reduced, return the shrimp into the pan and cook for a minute. Sprinkle some chili flakes and toss gently until well-seasoned.
- Transfer the halabos na hipon to a serving plate and garnish with chopped spring onions. Make papak the shrimps or eat it with hot steaming rice. Enjoy!
Halabos na Hipon Recipe (TAGALOG)
- ½ kilo ng hipon
- 4 butil ng bawang (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- ½ tasa ng lemon soda o tubig
- chili flakes
- spring onions (pang-garnish)
- Magpainit ng mantika at igisa ang bawang hanggang maging light brown. Ilagay ang hipon at igisa ng isang minuto.
- Kapag naging orange na ang mga hipon, ilagay ang lemon soda. Budburan ng asin at hayaan itong maluto ng isang minuto.
- Alisin ang mga hipon sa kawali. Hayaang maluto ang sauce hanggang lumapot.
- Kapag malapot na ang sauce, ibalik ang hipon sa kawali at haluin. Hayaan itong maluto ng isang minuto. Budburan ng chili flakes at haluin.
- Ilipat ang halabos na hipon sa isang serving plate at budburan ng spring onions sa ibabaw. Papakin o samahan ng mainit na kanin. Enjoy!