Crispy, juicy, tender, flavorful chicken that’s so good and a cheese sauce that’s stringy and packed with spices you can’t help but want to lick any leftover off your fingers. Fried Chicken is simple chicken marinated with a delicious mix of seasonings, dredged with a breading of flour and beaten eggs repeatedly to achieve a crispy exterior, dipped into a broiler or pan filled with hot oil and cooked till it’s turned into a golden brown, ready to be eaten with a side of cheese sauce. This Fried Chicken recipe with Spicy Cheese sauce is a delicious combo that you need to try!
The History of Fried Chicken
The first idea of deep-frying or rather the first dish to be deep-fried were fritters in the European Middle Ages. After this became popular, the Scottish tried deep frying their unseasoned chicken using fat. While West Africans had traditionally seasoned their fried chicken and cooked them in palm oil. With the combination of Scottish and African techniques it turned into the chicken dish, which we usually associate with Southern American cooking. The fried chicken recipe has a history of around a thousand of years coming from places like the Middle Eats, China, and West Africa, with the chicken changing in shape, flavor, and more depending on where it’s been cooked.
While fried chicken doesn’t have a certain creator to proclaim that they were the first to invent it. There are many published books to showcase how chicken were prepared back in the day. For one, Hannah Glasse is considered to be the first to publish the fried chicken recipe in 1747. The American style chicken we know now is seen as a mix of techniques from Scottish immigrants and flavors from Africa. While there is no doubt that the American fried chicken was a dish popularized by enslaved Africans. Many African Americans, mainly women began to sell fried chicek in the 1730’s, an entrepreneurial move that produced the idea of creating fast food chains like Kentucky fried chicken or Popeyes who opened in the 1950’s and are still up and running today. Up till the early 1900’s this chick dish was reserved only for special occasions or holidays, due to the scarcity of spring chickens the need for a high volume of fat. The long preparation time to create the chicken dish also meant that it took to much time of the day to bother with that you also couldn’t find it in restaurants back then. It started from a very time consuming recipe that was experimented repeatedly to create the chicken we all know today. millions of people all over the world have their own version of the ‘Fried Chicken’ from being a taste similar to the taste of their home country, to a dupe recipe from your favorite fast food chain, to a ‘how to make’ recipe to follow from your favorite chef or home cook.
Why you should try a Spicy Cheese Sauce dip?
Fried Chicken is great but Fried chicken with a side of Spicy cheese dip? Now that will send you to a food heaven. Cheese can upgrade any dish and gives it a bit of fun take especially when it’s a spicy delicious stringy cheese that compliments the dish. In this case, the Fried Chicken is a perfect pairing for the spicy cheese sauce. Smooth, rich, and spicy, add some oomph in you chicken dish rather that the usual nacho cheddar.
This Fried Chicken recipe is a easy simple how to that creates delicious fried chicken every time! All you need are cleaned chicken seasoned with salt, pepper, and calamansi to have a cleaner tasting chicken, to be breaded with flour, beaten eggs, with another coating of flour to create a barrier that keeps the chicken tender and juicy in the inside and helps suck up any moisture outside to give you that crisp golden goodness when fried in hot oil for a few minutes on each side and placed on a rack to drain out excess oil. The sauce is also just as easy, all you need is a pan with the butter melted, mixed with all purpose flour to turn into paste, milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder mixed together to get a soft and silky flavorful sauce, mix the cheese in and add paprika for that spice. Mixed till you have your smooth looking stringy eye catching cheesy sauce.
Fried Chicken with Spicy Cheese SauceCourse: MainCuisine: American
A fun Cheesy way to enjoy your usual fried chicken
1 whole chicken (cut in parts)
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon pepper
4 calamansi (juice extracted)
3 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 ¼ cups milk
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
1 ½ cups shredded cheese
1 ½ teaspoon paprika
- For the Chicken
- Prepare the cleaned chicken in a bowl. Season these with salt, pepper, calamansi juice, and massage well into the chicken. Cover with cling wrap and leave it in the fridge to marinate up to 3 hours.
- Prepare the ingredients for dredging. Place flour in a zip lock bag and beat the eggs in a bowl.
- Dip the each chicken piece in flour, coat it with the eggs mix, then thoroughly coat again with flour. Lightly shake off excess flour. Repeat the process till you’ve covered all the chicken parts.
- In a pan add oil and heat it to 350°F or 177°C, carefully place the chicken and fry each side for 5-6 minutes. Once all sides have turned golden brown take these out to cool on a wire rack over a tray or over a kitchen towel. This also helps remove any excess oil.
- For the Sauce
- In a pan at medium heat melt the butter and add in all purpose flour. Mix till it looks like a paste.
- Pour in the milk and mix till smooth. Add the garlic powder, pepper, and salt. Mix till it turns thick.
- Take this off the heat and mix in the shredded cheese. Add paprika to taste. Mix till well combined.
- Place the pan back to the heat and mix till you get your desired texture.
- Serve the chicken with a side of cheese to enjoy!
From being pan-fried, pressure fried, deep-fried, and air fried. Chicken is one of the most popular and delicious foods in the whole world. From nuggets, legs, wings, from eating is as a main dish from fast food chains, to restaurants, street food and a home cooked dish. This fan favorite dish can do almost no wrong. Just with following this easy to do recipe with a delicious paring of cheese sauce spiked with spices to give you a boost of flavor. You’ll be finding yourself cooking more chicken or making it at least once a week to enjoy!
Fried Chicken with Spicy Cheese Sauce recipe (tagalog)
- 1 buong manok (hinati sa parte)
- 1 kutsaritang asin
- 2 kutsaritang paminta
- 4 piraso katas ng kalamansi
- 3 tasa harina
- 2 itlog
- 2 kutsarang mantikilya
- 2 kutsarang harina
- 1 ¼ tasa gatas
- ¼ kutsaritang asin
- ¼ kutsaritang paminta
- ¼ kutsaritang garlic powder
- 1 ½ tasa ginadgad na keso
- 1 ½ kutsaritang paprika
Para sa Chicken
- ihanda ang nalinis na manok sa mangkok. Haluan ito ng asin, paminta, kalamansi juice, at imasahe ang mga ito sa manok. Takpan ng cling wrap at iwanin sa ref ng 3 oras para imarinate.
- Ihanda ang breading. Lagyan ng harina sa zip lock bag, at maghanda ng itlog na hinalo sa isang mankok.
- Ilagay ang mga piraso ng manok sa harina, alisin at ibabad ang mga ito sa hinalong itlog, ibalik ito sa harina at siguraduhing natatakpan ang buong manok. Tapikin ng konti para tanggalan ng sobrang harina. Ulitin hanggang lahat ng manok ay may breading.
- Sa kawali na may mantika at init ng 350°F o 177°C, ingatan ang paglagay ng mga manok sa kawali, lutuin ang bawat gilid ng 5-6 na minuto. Pag nagkayumanggi na ang mga kulay ng bawat gilid nito, alisin at ilugar sa wire rack na may trey sa baba, o sa kitchen towel. Para matanggal ang sobrang mantika.
Para sa Sauce
- Sa kawali na may katamtamtamang init, tunawin ang mantikilya at haluin ang harina hanggang magmukang gawgaw.
- Isama ang gatas at haluin hanggang makinis tingnan. Dagdagan ng garlic powder, paminta at asin. Haluin hanggang kumapal.
- Tanggalin ito sa init at ihalo ang keso. Lagyan ng paprika depende sa iyong panlasa. Haluin ng mabuti.
- Ibalik at kawali sa init at haluin hanggang makuha ang gusting itsura ng sauce.
- Ihanda ang manok kasama ang cheese sauce at ienjoy!