Wanna try a next level dessert? Take you dining table to Italy and impress your family with this tiramisu recipe! The Filipino-style tiramisu is a coffee flavoured dessert made with alternating layers of coffee-soaked biscuits and sweetened cream.
FILIPINO STYLE TIRAMISU
Tiramisu is an elegant and rich coffee-flavored dessert from Italy. It is best known for its alternating cream and bread layers which resembles a cake when sliced. Another name for tiramisu is “Italian trifle”. The traditional tiramisu is made with ladyfinger biscuits soaked in a mixture of espresso, rum and sugar while the cream layer is made with raw egg yolks, sugar, mascarpone cheese and cocoa. The word tiramisu translates to “pick me up”. This made sense since the tiramisu will literally keep you alive within the day due to the bold flavors of cocoa and espresso. Tiramisu is usually served as a dessert and best made ahead of time to let bread soften and absorb the flavors more.
Since the classic tiramisu requires expensive and hard to acquire ingredients, Filipinos started to reinvent this dish to a more affordable but delectable Filipino-style tiramisu. The Filipino-style recipes do not include raw egg yolks for a 100% no fail recipe. The mascarpone cheese is replaced with a more affordable cream cheese and the lady finger biscuits may be substituted with the local broas bread sticks.
To know the best Filipino-style tiramisu recipe and how to do it, give this recipe a try and may be share some with me! Yum!
HOW TO COOK FILIPINO STYLE TIRAMISU
Making a Filipino-style tiramisu is much similar to making the famous graham dessert. The only difference lies on the ingredients used. Like the grahams, the tiramisu consist of alternating layers of cream and bread. To start, we need to prepare the cream and bread layers.
Before everything else, dissolve some powdered coffee in hot water. We do this first because it needs to cool down before we use it. Set it aside for later.
For the cream layer, grab two large bowls and whip the chilled cream and cream cheese separately. Make both of them sweet by adding powdered sugar. The cream cheese is relatively thicker and creamier than the all-purpose cream. So to make it fluffy and smooth, add some of the whipped all-purpose cream and whip. Mix the two mixtures in a bowl and your cream layer is done.
Prepare everything you need to make the layers: the cream mixture, lady finger biscuits, the coffee mixture and the square pan. Dip the biscuits in the coffee mixture to make it soft and to also incorporate the coffee flavor. Make an alternating layer of biscuits and cream until you fill the pan. In this recipe, I was able to make 4 layers. Chill the tiramisu for at least 6 hours to let everything set.
Slice a serving piece of tiramisu in a plate and sprinkle some sweetened cocoa powder. Make sure to get a big piece and enjoy this powerful dessert!
Filipino-style TiramisuCourse: Uncategorized
250 mL all-purpose cream (chilled overnight)
1 block cream cheese (chilled overnight)
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons instant coffee
2 cups hot water
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
25 pieces ladyfinger biscuits
cocoa powder (for toppings)
- In a shallow bowl, dissolve the instant coffee in hot water. Set it aside and let it cool.
- In a large bowl, add the chilled all-purpose cream and beat until fluffy. Add half cup of powdered sugar and mix well until fully-combined.
- In a separate bowl, add the chilled cream cheese and beat using high speed for a few seconds. Add around a half cup of cream mixture to the cream cheese to make it fluffy and smooth. Add half cup of powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Combine the two mixtures and then mix until well-blended.
- Prepare the cream mixtures, the coffee mixture, the ladyfinger biscuits and a square pan.
- Dip the biscuit quickly in the coffee mixture and then transfer it to the square pan. Repeat these steps until you make a layer of ladyfinger biscuits. Next, spread a layer of cream mixture. Make an alternating layer of ladyfinger biscuits and cream mixture until you fill the pan.
- Chill the tiramisu for at least 6 hours.
- Slice a piece of the tiramisu in a plate. Sprinkle some cocoa powder using a fine sieve before serving. Enjoy!
Easy Filipino-style Tiramisu Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 250 mL all-purpose cream (pinalamig overnight)
- 1 bloke ng cream cheese (pinalamig overnight)
- 1 tasa ng powdered sugar
- 2 kutsara ng powdered na kape
- 2 tasa ng mainit ng tubig
- 1 ½ kutsarita ng vanilla extract
- 25 piraso ng ladyfinger biscuits o ng broas
- cocoa powder (para sa toppings)
- Sa isang mababaw na bowl, tunawin ang kape sa mainit na tubig. Isantabi ito para lumamig.
- Sa isang malaking bowl, ilagay ang pinalamig na all-purpose cream at i-whisk hanggang maging fluffy. Idagdag ang powdered sugar at haluin ng mabuti.
- Sa isa pang malaking bowl, ilagay ang pinalamig na cream cheese at i-whisk ito gamit ang high speed ng ilang segundo. Lagyan ng kalahating tasa ng all-purpose cream mixture para maging fluffy. Sunod na ilagay ang powdered sugar at vanilla extract. Haluin ito ng mabuti.
- Pagsamahin ang dalawang cream mixtures sa isang bowl at haluing mabuti.
- Ihanda ang cream mixture, tinunaw na kape, lady finger biscuits at and square pan.
- Isawsaw ng mabilis ang lady finger biscuits sa tinunaw na kape at ilagay sa baking pan. Gawin ito sa iba pang lady finger biscuits hanggang makabuo ng isang layer nito. Maglagay ng isang layer ng cream mixture at i-spread ito. Gumawa ng halinhinang layer ng biscuits at cream hanggang mapuno ang pan.
- Palamigin ang tiramisu ng 6 oras.
- Mag-slice ng tiramisu sa isang plato. Budburan ng cocoa powder ang ibabaw bago i-serve. Enjoy!