Wanting some churros but got nowhere to buy? Make your homemade churros using this recipe! Churros is a fried pastry which will satisfy your sweet cravings!
Churros is a snack popular to Mexico, Spain and the US. It is a fried pastry which is often compare to fried doughnuts. A churro dough is thicker and denser, making the churros unique from the fried doughnuts. Unlike the classic round doughnuts, the churros are usually short straight thick sticks either coated with sugar or dipped in chocolate or caramel sauce. It has a crispy outside but the inside are surprisingly spongy soft and tender, which makes it one of the best desserts ever existed. It can be enjoyed as a snack or a dessert. Find out in this recipe how to make the best churros in town!
HOW TO COOK CHURROS
Some people I know are hesitant in making homemade churros since they are not confident with their baking skills. But actually, making a churros dough is much easier than most pastry goods which requires extensive kneading.
For the churros, you first need to melt some butter in water with salt. If you will be using salted butter, there is no need to add salt. Turn the heat off. At this point, you can work from your stove to your countertop. Add the flour and mix it to make a dough. You might be wondering by not just mix all the ingredients. The hot base actually has science behind it. Starting with this hot base makes the resulting churro gummy and chewy. As you mix the dough, it cools down. That’s where you add an egg. Mix it with the dough. And finally, the churros dough is now ready for frying. Place the dough in a piping bag so it will be easier to shape it later. If you have no piping bag, you can use any thick bag. Cut the end for at least half an inch diameter.
Heat some oil for deep-frying and prepare to witness the magic from your own hands. Squeeze the piping bag gently until some of the churros come out. Usually a churro is 4 to 5 inches. But it is up to you if wanna make super long churros! The common churros are just plain straight but you can try turning it to different shapes! Cut the churros to your desired length. Try to make it smooth and uniform. Fry the churros until golden brown in color. For some, they want their churros coated with cinnamon sugar. But here at Yummy Kitchen, we are going extra.
By extra, we are making a chocolate dipping sauce! Making a chocolate glaze for our churros is plain simple. Just mix all the ingredients and heat until it thickens. So before you take a bite on this sweet and yummy dessert, do not forget to dip it with chocolate sauce! Some churros I know poke a hole on their churros, somewhat making it a tube. Chocolate sauce will be put in the whole, making the chocolate more of a filling. But dipping sauce is just easier and taste the same. So what are you waiting for? Make some churros today!
- For the churros:
1 cup water
1 tablespoon sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
4 tablespoon butter or ½ stick butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 piece medium-sized egg
oil (for deep-frying)
- For the chocolate sauce:
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
½ cup sugar
1 cup milk (evaporated, fresh or whole milk)
- For the churros:
- In a pot, add water, sugar, salt and butter. Cook in low heat until the butter melts. Turn the heat off.
- Add the all-purpose flour and then mix well until fully-combined. This will form a sticky wet dough.
- Add the egg. Mix until the egg is well-incorporated into the dough.
- Grab a piping bag and place the churros dough into the bag.
- Heat some oil in a pan for deep frying.
- Squeeze the piping bag gently. The churros should come out smoothly. Cut the churros according to your preferred length using scissors. Fry the churros until golden brown.
- Transfer to a strainer or paper towel to drain excess oil.
- For the chocolate sauce:
- Sift the cocoa powder and all-purpose flour in a saucepan to remove lumps. Add the sugar and stir until well-mixed.
- Add the milk and mix well until the all the powder are dissolved.
- Cook the mixture in low heat until it thickens. Stir continuously to avoid burning.
- Once thickened and smooth, remove the pan from the heat.
- Transfer the chocolate sauce into a bowl and let it cool. Dip the churros in the chocolate sauce and enjoy!
Churros Recipe with Homemade Chocolate Sauce (TAGALOG)
Para sa churros:
- 1 tasa ng tubig
- 1 kutsarang asukal
- ¼ kutsaritang asin
- 4 na kutsara o kalahating stick ng butter
- 1 tasang harina
- 1 piraso ng itlog
- mantika (pangprito)
Para sa chocolate sauce:
- 1/3 tasa ng unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 kutsaritang harina
- ½ tasa ng asukal
- 1 tasa ng gatas (evaporated fresh o whole milk)
For the churros:
- Ilagay ang tubig, asukal at butter sa isang kawali. Painitin ito hanggang matunaw ang butter. Kapag tunaw na ang butter, patayin ang apoy.
- Ilagay ang harina. Haluin ito ng mabuti. Pagkatapos ng pangmalakasang paghalo, makakaform ka ng malagkita at medyo wet na dough.
- Ilagay ang itlog. Haluin ang churros dough hanggang sa humalo ang itlog.
- Kumuha ng isang piping bag at ilagay ang churros dough sa loob nito. Gumamit ng baso para mas mapadali ang paglalagay.
- Magpainit ng mantika sa kawali.
- Dahan-dahang isqueeze ang piping bag. Kapag lumabas na ang churros, gupitin ito gamit ang gunting sa iyong desired length. Iprito ang churros hanggang maging golden brown.
- Ilipat ang mga napritong churros sa isang strainer o paper towel para tumulo ang sobrang mantika.
For the chocolate sauce:
- I-sift ang cocoa powder at harina sa isang kaldero para matanggal ang mga lumps.
- Ilagay ang asukal at haluin ang mga ito ng mabuti.
- Ilagay ang gatas at haluin ito hanggang sa madissolve na ang dry ingredients.
- Iluto ang mixture hanggang lumapot. Haluin ito ng tuloy-tuloy para hindi masunog.
- Kapag malapot at smooth na ang mixture, patayin ang apoy.
- Ilipat ang chocolate sauce sa isang serving bowl at hayaan itong lumamig ng konti.
- Isawsaw ang churros sa chocolate sauce bago kainin. Enjoy!