Treat yourself with a guilt-free vegan doughnut! Kamote doughnuts are not just a healthier option but is also naturally sweet and appetizing snack or dessert. This no-bake recipe will help you make your homemade sweet potato doughnuts any time you crave for it.
Sweet potato is the highlight ingredient in this delicious treat. Compared to regular potatoes, it is naturally sweet and is very smooth and cream-like when boiled and mashed. This is why sweet potatoes are considered a versatile root vegetable often used in many desserts.
Kamote doughnuts has been one of the classic Filipino doughnuts to ever exist. My very first memory of kamote doughnuts was way back when my aunty made a lot of them for her son’s birthday. Due to the pandemic, the people are starting to re-invent this dessert. Many upgraded versions of kamote doughnuts are now competing in the market.
You might be surprised how easy this mouth-watering doughnut can be. With just few and simple ingredients, you can make a large batch of it at a low cost. Aside from being cost-effective, kamote doughnuts also offer a pack of vitamins and minerals which cannot be obtained from the regular doughnut. The recipe is very simple, with no baking needed.
HOW TO COOK KAMOTE DONUT
Kamote doughnut is a very easy treat to make. This treat can be enjoyed by people of all ages, especially children. Have your kids help and bond with you as you make this simple and amazing snack. Some steps in this recipe will be needing some arm work, so it is best to have some extra helping hands.
To start with the doughnuts, prepare the main ingredient, the sweet potatoes. Wash them, peel them, and cut into wedges. You can cut them smaller if you want them to soften faster. Soak the chopped sweet potatoes in water to avoid darkening. Boil the sweet potatoes and let them become fork-tender and soft. The next step would be mashing the potatoes. If you will be making a large batch of this recipe, prepare your arms as this can be an arm work for some. Once done, add the mashed sweet potatoes in a large bowl together with the other ingredients. Mix and knead them using the hands until a sticky smooth dough is formed. The consistency must be clay-like but softer.
The next step would be portioning the dough. Portioning is important so you can have uniform doughnut sizes. In this recipe, I used a 1/8 measuring cup. Roll the dough into balls and then flatten. Lastly, poke a hole at the center using your finger. To help remain the doughnut into shape while frying, dip each doughnut into the eggs and breadcrumbs. Deep fry the doughnuts until both sides are golden brown.
Serve warm. Take time on every bite and enjoy the crispy outside and the cottony soft inside. Now that you have learned the classic type of sweet potato doughnut, you can experiment with your favorite toppings.
Kamote Donut (Sweet Potato Donut)
½ kilo sweet potato
½ cup sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup powdered milk
2 eggs (for coating)
1 cup breadcrumbs
Oil (for frying)
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into wedges. Wash the pieces and place into a saucepan. Cover the sweet potatoes with water and let it boil to soften. Poke to test if the sweet potatoes are soft and tender.
- Drain the boiled sweet potatoes and then transfer to a container. Mash gently using a fork.
- In a large bowl, add the mashed sweet potatoes, sugar, powdered milk and all-purpose flour. Mix the ingredients until well-combined.
- Use the hands to knead the mixture. As you knead, the mixture will turn into a sticky and smooth dough.
- Use a 1/8 measuring cup to portion the dough. Roll the dough in your palm to make a small ball. Press gently to flatten. Using your finger, poke the center to make a doughnut hole. Repeat this step with the rest of the dough.
- Crack the eggs in a shallow plate and whisk gently. Add some breadcrumbs in a separate plate. Dip each doughnut in eggs then in breadcrumbs. Repeat this step with the rest of the doughnuts.
- Heat some oil in a pan. Deep-fry the sweet potato doughnuts under low heat. After a few minutes, flip the doughnuts to cook the other side. Fry until golden brown.
- Transfer the fried doughnuts into a strainer or paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Watch how to Cook Kamote Donuts
Paano Magluto ng Kamote Donut
- ½ kilo kamote
- ½ tasang asukal
- 1 tasa harina
- ½ tasa powdered milk
- 2 piraso itlog (para sa coating)
- 1 tasa ng breadcrumbs
- mantika (pangprito)
- Balatan ang mga kamote at hiwain ng malalaki. Hugasan ang mga ito at ilagay sa isang kaldero. Lagyan ng tubig at hayaang kumulo hanggang lumambot ang kamote. Para malaman kung malambot na, subukang tusukin ang isang piraso ng kamote gamit ang tinidor.
- Alisin sa tubig ang pinakuluang kamote at ilagay ito sa isang pinggan. Durugin ito gamit ang tinidor.
- Sa isang malaking bowl, ilagay ang mashed kamote, asukal, powdered milk at harina. Haluin ang mga ito ng mabuti.
- Gamit ang malinis na kamay, masahin ang mixture. Habang minamasa ang mixture, magiging sticky at smooth dough ito.
- Gumamit ng 1/8 measuring cup para ma-portion ang dough. Bilugin ang dough gamit ang mga palad. Pisilin ito ng bahagya para umimpis. Gamitin ang daliri para makagawa ng butas sa gitna ng doughnut. Gawin ang steps na ito sa natitira pang dough.
- Magbati ng mga itlog sa isang pinggan. Maglagay ng breadcrumbs isa pang pinggan. I-coat ang bawat doughnut sa itlog at breadcrumbs. Ulitin ang steps na ito sa iba pang doughnut.
- Magpainit ng mantika. I-deep fry ang kamote doughnuts gamit ang mahinang apoy. I-flip ang doughnuts para maluto rin ang kabilang side.
- Ilipat ang mga fried kamote doughnuts sa isang strainer o paper towel para tumulo ang sobrang mantika.
- I-serve at i-enjoy!