Chicken potato drumsticks is very popular in Philippines, is made with scraping cooked chicken meat from chicken thigh, mixing it with mashed potato and marinade. It is again added to thigh bone to imitate as chicken thighs and fried it in oil, after dipping, in bread crumps and fried it again. The combination of cheese, potato and chicken will surely capture your heart. Very convenient to eat as the bone will be your stick. Super crispy on the outside while heavenly soft on the inside. Drizzle them with your favorite sauces!
CHICKEN POTATO DRUMSTICKS
Chicken potato drumstick is a dish requested by my niece since she saw one on facebook and drooled over it. She was really excited when she showed me the video for it because she knows I’m gonna like it too (which is true).
The chicken potato drumsticks recipe really holds my top three favorite food items: chicken, potato and cheese. If you love them too, then this is the sign for you to make some of these at home!
At the first glance, you’ll never know that a chicken potato drumstick is not a modified chicken. Maybe you’ll just notice that the “meat” part was slightly bigger than the normal ones. As you take a bite of it, you will surely be dreaming of clouds! (Literally what I felt). The cheese and potato mixture was bomb! Cheese + potato = never goes wrong
If you have a lot of chicken and has extra time, I highly suggest making some chicken potato drumsticks! Best eaten as an afternoon snack. Yummy!
HOW TO COOK CHICKEN POTATO DRUMSTICKS
Making some chicken potato drumstick is as easy as it looks like. This may take awhile to cook so use this experience as a bonding time with your kids and family.
Start by choosing the best and chunkiest chicken drumsticks you can get from the grocery store. The bigger the drumstick, the better they will be for this recipe.
First, we are going to cook the chicken. Get a large pan and arrange the chicken drumsticks. Before pouring some water. To make it delicious and enhance its meaty flavor, add our basic aromatics. Allow them to boil for around half an hour until tender. You can check the tenderness by using the fork test.
When the chicken are cooked, remove them from the pan. Do not discard the yummy broth as we will use it to cook the potatoes. Separate the meat from the bone using your hands. They are much easier to separate when cooked than when raw. (It is sometimes very tempting to taste the chicken, but you can do it HAHAHA)
Cook the potatoes in the chicken broth. When the potatoes are soft, transfer them to a bowl. The next step to do is to turn them into mash potatoes. You can either use a potato masher or simply with fork, in which way is much more convenient for you.
When both the chicken and the potatoes are ready, time to make them into a nice mixture. Before combining, chop the chicken meat into tiny bits. The mixture we want to achieve is a smooth mixture which will be meat and soft in texture when cooked later. Make sure that the ratio of chicken to potatoes are almost the same, since too much chicken might make out chicken potato drumstick a bit chunky. Also, don’t forget to mix in the grated cheese (best if you can have different types of cheeses).
This might be the time consuming part but is the most fun part. The following steps would feel like we are reviving a chicken zombie. Scoop some chicken and potato mixture in your hand and flatten it a bit, then add a drumstick bone in the middle. Shape the mixture into a drumstick shape, just like its original shape when the meat hasn’t been deboned. The resulting drumstick would be much larger and of course, yummier.
The last steps would include coating the chicken potato drumsticks in the necessary coatings (flour, egg, breadcrumbs) to give it a nice and crispy layer before indulging with the soft inner core. Fry the chicken potato drumsticks until golden brown on all sides.
Serve the chicken potato drumsticks fresh out of the pan. Choose your own dressing and I highly suggest the mayo, ketchup and mustard combination just like in corndogs. Yummy!! Best paired with sago’t gulaman!
Chicken Potato DrumsticksCourse: Chicken Recipes
3/4 kilo (750 grams) chicken drumstick
3/4 kilo (750 grams) potatoes (cut into wedges)
3 cloves of garlic (crushed)
1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon paprika powder (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup grated cheese
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
Eggs (for coating)
Breadcrumbs (for coating)
All purpose flour (for coating)
- Wash and prepare the chicken drumstick and then arrange them in a pan. Add the peppercorns, salt and crushed garlic. Add enough water to cover the chicken. Cover the pan and let the chicken cook for 25 to 30 minutes until fully cooked.
- When the chicken are cooked, remove them from the pan and set them aside.
- In the same pan with the chicken broth, add the potatoes. Cover the pan and allow them to cook until tender.
- When the potatoes are tender, shake off the aromatics (especially the peppercorns) and then transfer them to a large bowl. Mash them thoroughly until smooth.
- Next, add some salt, black pepper, garlic powder, paprika powder, all purpose flour and grated cheese. Mix until well combined.
- Grab your cooked chicken drumsticks and remove the meat from the bones using your hands. Save the clean drumstick bone.
- Chop the chicken meat into finer pieces. Add this meat to the potato mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Scoop some potato-chicken mixture in your hand and flatten them a bit. Get a chicken bone and put it in the middle, then coat it with the potato-chicken mixture, imitating a chicken drumstick shape. Do these steps with the rest of the ingredients.
- Prepare the coatings by placing the flour, eggs and breadcrumbs into three separate plates. Dip the chicken potato drumstick in the coatings starting with the flour, then in the eggs, and lastly, in the breadcrumbs. Do this will all the drumsticks.
- Heat a lot of oil in a pan. Deep fry the chicken potato drumsticks until golden brown on all sides. Transfer the fried chicken potato drumsticks into a strainer or paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Serve the hot and crispy chicken potato drumsticks and don’t forget to drizzle them with your favorite mayonnaise, ketchup and mustard sauce. Munch the crunch!
Chicken Potato Drumsticks Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 3/4 kilo (750 grams) ng drumstick
- 3/4 kilo (750 grams) ng patatas (hiwain ng wedges)
- 3 butil ng bawang (tinadtad)
- 1/2 kutsara ng garlic powder
- 1 kutsarita ng paprika powder (optional)
- Asin at paminta
- Malalaking paminta
- 1/3 tasa ng grated cheese
- 3 kutsara ng harina
- itlog (pang coat)
- breadcrumbs (pang coat)
- harina (pang coat)
- Ihanda ang drumstick at hugasan. I-arrange ang mga ito sa kawali at lagyan ng pamintang buo, asin at tinadtad na bawang. Pakuluan ito ng 25 – 30 minuto hanggang maluto at lumambot.
- Kapag luto na ang manok, alisin ang mga ito sa kawali at isantabi.
- Sa parehong kawali na may pinagpakuluan ng manok, doon lutuin ang mga patatas. Takpan ang kawali at hayaan itong lumambot.
- Kapag malambot na ang mga patatas, alisin ang mga paminta at ilipat ang mga ito sa isang bowl.
- Maglagay ng asin, paminta, garlic powder, paprika powder, harina at grated cheese sa patatas. Haluin ng mabuti
- Kunin ang mga nilutong manok at alisin sa buto. Isantabi ang mga buto.
- Hiwain ang mga manok sa maliliit na piraso. Ihalo ito sa potato mixture. Haluin ng mabuti.
- Kumuha ng potato chicken mixture at ilagay sa kamay. I-flatten ito saka lagyan ng buto sa gitna. Medyo I-wrap or ibalot sa buto ang mixture, hanggang maging kaparehas nito ang shape ng drumstick. Gawin ito sa iba pang ingredients.
- Ihanda ang mga coatings at ilagay na sa kani-kanilang pinggan (harina, itlog, breadcrumbs). I-coat ang bawat chicken potato drumstick sa harina, sa itlog at sa breadcrumbs. Gawin ito sa lahat ng drumsticks.
- Magpainit ng maraming mantika. Ideep fry ang mga chicken potato drumsticks hanggang maging brown ang lahat ng sides. Ilipat ang mga ito sa strainer o paper towel para tumulo ang sobrang mantika.
- Iserve ang chicken potato drumstick pagkahango sa mantika. Lagyan ng itong favorite mayonnaise, ketchup at mustard. Yummy!