Chicken menudo is a traditional Filipino dish made with a stew of chicken braised in savoury tomato sauce. Chicken menudo made with a variety of vegetables like potatos, bell peppers and carrots and with special ingredients like hotdogs and raisins. This Chicken menudo is cooked with soy sauce, calamansi juice, tomato paste minced onion,garlic,bay leaf etc. It is best eaten with rice during lunch time.
Like lumpia and pancit, menudo is one of the dishes always present during birthday parties and other fiesta celebrations. Menudo is a tomato-based dish commonly confused with the other ones. One unique feature of the menudo is having hotdogs and raisins in it. This dish looked so appetizing to me as a kid because I really love hotdogs.
Menudo is a classic Filipino dish where the meat and vegetables like carrots, potatoes and bell peppers were braised in a savoury and rich tomato gravy. Different versions of menudo usually uses pork and beef. We used chicken more often when we prepare our menudo for a healthier version. If you are a fan of hearty and tasty tomato-based dishes, try this chicken menudo recipes today!
HOW TO COOK CHICKEN MENUDO
The steps might look long but cooking the chicken menudo is actually very simple and easy. For the first steps, you are going to prepare your raw meat, the chicken pieces and chicken liver, by marinating them in a mixture of soy sauce and calamansi juice. After marinating, the next steps would involve frying or searing the other ingredients of the menudo separately. These includes the potatoes, carrots, hotdogs and the marinated chicken liver. Remember not to overcook the liver as it may become dry and tough. After that, this is where the chicken menudo really starts.
Sauté your aromatics and then add your chicken pieces. Some of the liquid from the chicken would come out. Imagine how flavorful the sauce would be! Yum! Add the tomato paste or tomato sauce and stir to blend with the chicken. Next, add the bay leaves, chicken broth cube and water and let it simmer for a few minutes. The following steps would involve adding the previously seared ingredients and incorporating them well in the dish. Let it simmer for a few minutes until the veggies are thoroughly cooked. The chicken menudo is nearly done. Are you getting excited? Don’t forget to season it with salt and pepper. Lastly, add the bell peppers and the raisins. Some people do not like raisins but it really adds some hints of sweetness in the dish. Let the chicken menudo simmer for 2 minutes and it is now ready to be served. Make sure to prepare a lot of rice! Enjoy the chicken menudo with your friends and family.
Chicken MenudoCourse: Uncategorized
1 kilo boneless chicken (cut into cubes)
¼ kilo chicken liver (cut into cubes)
1 ½ tablespoon soy sauce
1 ½ tablespoon calamansi juice
1 large onion
5 cloves of garlic
2 small potatoes
1 small carrot
3 pieces hotdogs
3 tablespoon tomato paste (or 1 cup tomato sauce)
½ cup red and green bell pepper (diced)
1 piece chicken broth cube
¼ cup raisins (optional)
3 to 5 pieces dried bay leaves
1 cup water
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons sugar
- Prepare the chicken. Remove the skin and cut into serving pieces. Place into a bowl.
- In the same bowl, add the soy sauce and calamansi juice. Mix well and coat each piece of chicken with the marinade. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, add the chicken liver, soy sauce, calamansi juice and mix well to coat each piece with the marinade. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat some oil in a pan. Sauté the potatoes until light brown. Set aside.
- Sauté the carrots until light brown. Set aside.
- Sauté the hotdogs until light brown. Set aside.
- In the same pan, sauté the marinated chicken liver until it changes color. Set aside.
- Sauté the onions and garlic until aromatic and light brown. Add the marinated chicken and sauté until it changes color.
- Add the tomato paste and stir to blend with the chicken.
- Add some bay leaves, chicken broth cube and water. Cover the pan and let it simmer for 10 to 15 minutes using medium heat.
- Add the seared chicken liver, potatoes, carrots, hotdogs. Stir gently until well-incorporated. Cover the pan and let it simmer for 5 to 8 minutes until all the veggies are cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add the sugar and stir until well-incorporated.
- Add the bell peppers and raisins. Cook for another 2 minutes until the sauce is thick.
- Transfer the chicken menudo to a serving plate and serve with a bowl of hot steaming rice. Enjoy!
Paano Magluto ng Menudong Manok (TAGALOG)
- 1 kilo boneless chicken (hatiin ng maliliit na piraso)
- ¼ kilo atay ng manok (hatiin ng maliliit na piraso)
- 1 ½ kutsara ng toyo
- 1 ½ kutsara ng calamansi juice
- 1 malaking sibuyas (hiniwa)
- 5 butil ng bawang (hiniwa)
- 2 maliit na patatas (hiniwa)
- 1 maliit na carrot (hiniwa)
- 3 hotdogs
- 3 kutsara ng tomato paste (o 1 tasa ng tomato sauce)
- ½ tasa red at green bell pepper (hiniwa ng maliliit na squares)
- 1 piraso ng chicken broth cube
- ¼ tasa ng raisins (optional)
- 3 hanggang 5 pieces dried bay leaves
- 1 tasa ng tubig
- asin at paminta
- 2 kutsara ng asukal
- Ihanda ang manok. Tanggalin ang balat nito at hiwaan ng maliliit na squares. Ilagay ito sa isang bowl.
- Sa parehas na bowl, ilagay ang toyo at calamansi juice. Haluin ito ng mabuti hanggang malagyan ng marinade ang bawat piraso ng manok. Imarinate ito ng 30 minuto.
- Sa isa pang bowl, ilagay ang atay ng manok, toyo at calamansi juice. Haluin ito ng mabuti hanggang malagyan ng marinade ang bawat piraso ng atay ng manok. Imarinate ito ng 30 minuto.
- Magpainit ng mantika. Iprito ang mga patatas hanggang maging light brown. Ilipat ito sa isang lalagyan.
- Iprito ang mga carrots hanggang maging light brown. Ilipat ito sa isang lalagyan.
- Iprito ang mga hotdogs hanggang maging light brown. Ilipat ito sa isang lalagyan.
- Sa parehas na kawali, iprito ang minarinate na atay ng manok hanggang mag-iba ang kulay nito. Ilipat ito sa isang lalagyan.
- Mag-gisa ng sibuyas at bawang hanggang maging light brown. Ilagay ang minarinate na manok at igisa hanggang mag-iba ang kulay.
- Ilagay ang tomato paste. Haluin ito hanggang malagyan ang bawat piraso ng manok.
- Ilagay ang bay leaves, chicken broth cube at tubig. Takpan ang kawali at hayaan itong maluto ng 10 hanggang 15 minuto gamit ang katamtamang apoy.
- Ilagay ang pinritong atay ng manok, patatas, carrots at hotdogs. Haluin ito ng mabuti. Takpan ang kawali at hayaan itong maluto ng 5 hanggang 8 minuto hanggang maluto ang mga gulay.
- Budburan ng asin at paminta. Ilagay ang asukal at haluin ng mabuti.
- Ilagay ang bell peppers at raisins. Hayaan itong maluto ng 2 pang minuto hanggang maging malapot ang sauce.
- Ilipat ang chicken menudo sa isang serving plate at iserve kasama ng isang bowl ng mainit na kanin. Enjoy!