Eat your chicken with a lot of ease and convenience. If you’re missing the chicken lollipop craze in the past, it is now time to make some on your own. The chicken lollipop is a crispy and crunchy chicken with its bone acting like a lollipop handle, making it the easiest way to eat your favorite fried chicken! Dip it with some gravy and ketchup and your kids will surely love it! Munch the crunch!
Chicken lollipop was a nationwide craze in 2010. There are a lot of restaurants which offered chicken lollipop and one of the first I tasted was from Red Ribbon. Before I saw the commercials, I actually thought that chicken lollipop is a sweet chicken, as sweet as a lollipop. My aunty ask the whole family to come and try it. As a child in this era, I was expecting a sweet chicken but was amazed on what was served at our table. My first words were “the chicken has a handle that’s why it’s called a chicken lollipop!”. My light bulb moment a bit late but at least I had an actual experience of the famous chicken lollipop.
Chicken lollipop is a dish adapted from the Indo-Chinese cuisine. Many do not know this but chicken lollipops are made from chicken wings! The chicken meat are pushed on one side of the bone to imitate that lollipop look. The authentic chicken lollipop are usually served with Szechuan sauce but here in our country, gravy or ketchup pairs it well.
What I like the most about these chicken is the ease of handling. Like a lollipop, the bone acts as the handle, making it easier to eat. The crispy chicken is also found on just one side bone and you can easily munch the whole thing if you like.
Chicken lollipop slowly fade out from restaurant menus with the birth of more and more new dishes. This is why it became nostalgic when I prepared some chicken lollipop for my nieces and nephews who never heard of it. If you’re like me who misses chicken lollipops or want to introduce them to your chikitings, here’s a quick recipe guide to help you make your homemade chicken lollipops.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN LOLLIPOP
Chicken lollipop is prepared just like your favorite fried chicken wings but with a few extra steps. It will take you a few minutes to prepare the chicken wings but the steps after that would be quick and easy.
The best wings to choose are the big ones. These will give you big chicken lollipops. Prepare your wings by cutting it into three parts using the joints. The parts you will use are the meaty ones—the drumette and the wingette. The drumette has only one bone so simply push the meat on one side of the bone and kind of shape it like a circle. The wingette has 2 bones. Remove the smaller bone and do the same steps you did on the drumette.
Now that your chicken wings are prepared, the next steps would just involve dredging them in different coatings to make them crispy and frying them until you have crunchy and golden brown chicken lollipops. You can eat this as a snack or serve it with hot steaming rice. Make sure to serve them with your favorite dipping sauce! Enjoy!
Chicken LollipopCourse: Uncategorized
8 pieces chicken wings
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 cup panko bread crumbs
- Cut the chicken wings in three parts. Slice through the joints and discard the wingtip. For the two-boned part, remove the smaller bone. Push the meat to one end of the bone and shape into a lollipop. Repeat these steps with the rest of the chicken wings.
- Season the chicken lollipops with salt and pepper.
- For the flour breading, combine flour, garlic powder and white pepper.
- Prepare three plates with the flour breading, beaten eggs and panko bread crumbs separately.
- Dredge the chicken lollipop in the flour breading, and then in the eggs. Do this twice. Lastly, dredge the chicken in panko bread crumbs. Repeat these steps with the rest of the chicken lollipops.
- Heat some oil in a pan and fry the chicken lollipops for about 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Transfer the fried chicken lollipops to a strainer or paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Serve the crispy and crunchy chicken lollipops with your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy!
Paano Magluto ng Chicken Lollipops (TAGALOG)
- 8 piraso ng pakpak ng manok
- 1 tasa ng harina
- 2 itlog
- 1 kutsarita ng garlic powder
- 1 kutsarita ng white pepper
- 1 tasa ng panko bread crumbs
- Hatiin ang pakpak sa tatlong piraso. Hiwain ito sa joints at alisin ang wingtip. Para sa part na may dalawang buto, alisin ang mas maliit na buto. I-push ang manok sa isang end ng buto at i-shape na parang lollipop. Gawin ang mga steps na ito sa iba pang chicken wings.
- Budburan ng asin at paminta ang mga chicken lollipops.
- Para sa flour breading, paghaluin ang harina, garlic powder at white pepper sa isang bowl.
- Maghanda ng tatlong pinggan, tigigisa para sa flour breading, itlog at panko bread crumbs.
- I-dredge ang chicken lollipop sa flour breading at sa itlog. Gawin ito ng dalawang beses. I-dredge ito sa panko bread crumbs. Gawin ang mga steps na ito sa iba pang chicken lollipops.
- Magpainit ng mantika at iprito ang chicken lollipops ng 10 minuto hanggang maging golden brown.
- Ilipat ang pritong chicken lollipops sa strainer o paper towel para tumulo ang sobrang mantika.
- Ihain ang crispy at crunchy chicken lollipops kasama ng iyong favorite dipping sauce. Enjoy!