If you have cream, chicken and some vegetables lying in your pantry, then it’s time to transform them into an extravagant dish! Level up your creamy chicken dish and partner it with some pastry. Chicken pot pie is a famous meat pie dish around the world which uses chicken and vegetables in a creamy gravy with a flaky pie crust on top. It is best eaten as a snack or appetizer. Try one today!
CHICKEN POT PIE
The very first time I made chicken pot pie was for one of our visitors. They saw my stock of chicken and heavy cream in my pantry and specifically requested to make some for them. I was a bit clueless that time since I have never made one but my mom says it is just similar to the classic creamy chicken pastel, only with a crust. I became confident since one of my best recipes was chicken pastel. I learned that the chicken filling for the chicken pot pie is actually the chicken pastel’s sister. The only difference is that the ingredients were chopped smaller and the filling is a thicker one. Our visitors ended up liking it, leaving them wanting for more.
Unlike dessert pies, chicken pot pie is a savoury type of pie filled with chicken and gravy with a flaky crust on top. It is called “pot pie” since the pie is baked in a pot and stays in the pot. These chicken pot pies are best eaten as a snack or an appetizer. Some people confuse chicken pot pie with the chicken pie. Chicken pot pie have top crust only and includes a lot of vegetables in the filling while chicken pie has both top and bottom crusts and includes only a few vegetables to heighten the chicken flavor.
Chicken pot pie is a hearty and creamy dish which is a good way to use up leftovers vegetables. With the different ingredients used in the filling, it is definitely loaded not just with lot of flavors and textures but also nutrients. There are no rules on what vegetables you can use alongside the chicken so choose the ones you like. If you got curious on how to make a chicken pot pie, continue reading the recipe below.
HOW TO COOK CHICKEN POT PIE
To make the best chicken pot pie, you need to be mindful of the two basic elements—the crust and the filling. In some places, there are available crust dough in the grocery. The crusts is truly easy to make and you can even make it from scratch.
Let us talk about the crust first. This is the first thing to be seen once the chicken pot pie is served. It must make a good impression and our goal is to make a flaky crust. In order to achieve a good crust, you need to ensure that your crust ingredients are in the right temperature. Mix your powders and then incorporate cold butter in the flour. Use your hands to make things easier. You will have butter lumps which will go smaller and smaller until well-incorporated. Use cold water in making the dough. This is to not let the butter melt while waiting for the filling. When baked, the small blobs of butter will melt, making the crust flaky.
When the crust is ready, then it’s time to make the filling. Simply saute all the filling ingredients until they come together. The filling should be thick enough that you can eat the entire pie with your fork. To make it thick, stir in the flour continuously as you pour the cream and the broth. When the filling is done, transfer it to a round pan and place the crust on the top. Trim the excess and decorate your pie. I made leaf-shaped dough which I placed on the sides for a fancier look. For a pretty finish to the crust, brush it with an egg wash. Remember to make a slit at the center of the pie or else your pie will bulge. The last thing to do is to bake your pie. Serve your freshly-baked pie and enjoy!
With our visitors wanting more of my chicken pot pie, I recommend you to try making smaller versions of it for a single serving. You can use llaneras or other molders if you would like. This can ensure that everyone can enjoy the savoury goodness of the chicken pot pie.
Chicken Pot PieCourse: Uncategorized
- For the Filling:
6 tablespoons butter
2 cups onions (minced)
2 tablespoons garlic (minced)
5 pieces chicken breast (cut into small pieces)
1 tablespoon salt and pepper
2/3 cup carrots
2/3 cup green peas
½ cup all purpose flour
1 tablespoon thyme
½ cup heavy cream
2 cups chicken broth
- For the Crust:
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup butter
½ cup iced water
- For the Crust:
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl and mix well.
- Add the unsalted butter and mix it well using your hands until the butter is fully-incorporated.
- Add cold water if the dough is too dry. Flatten the dough using a rolling pin and then set aside.
- For the Filling:
- Melt some butter in a pan. Sauté the onions and garlic until light brown.
- Add the chicken pieces and season with salt and pepper. Sauté the chicken until it changes color.
- Add the carrots and green peas. Sauté them well until soft.
- Add the all purpose flour and mix well. Sprinkle some thyme.
- Pour the heavy cream and chicken broth. Mix the filling well until it thickens.
- For the Chicken Pot Pie:
- On a round pan, add the filling. Even the top using a spatula.
- Carefully place the dough crust on top. Trim the excess dough and press the edges using a fork. You can use the excess dough to decorate the pie. Brush the crust with egg wash or melted butter. Make slits on the middle of the pie to let the air out from the filling.
- Bake the chicken pot pie for 15 to 20 minutes using 220C or 425F.
- Serve the chicken pot pie straight out of the oven. Take a slice of the pie or eat the whole pie for yourself! Enjoy!
Chicken Pot Pie Recipe (TAGALOG)
Para sa Filling:
- 6 kutsara ng butter
- 2 tasa ng sibuyas (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 2 kutsara ng bawang (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 5 piraso ng pitso ng manok (hiniwa sa maliliit na piraso)
- 1 kutsara ng asin at paminta
- 2/3 tasa ng carrots
- 2/3 tasa ng green peas
- ½ tasa ng harina
- 1 kutsara ng thyme
- ½ tasa ng heavy cream
- 2 tasa ng chicken broth
Para sa Crust:
- 3 tasa ng harina
- 1 kutsarita ng baking powder
- 1 kutsarita ng kosher salt
- 1 tasa ng butter
- ½ tasa ng malamig na tubig
Para sa Crust:
- Para sa crust, paghaluhaluin ang harina baking powder at asin sa isang malaking bowl.
- Sunod na ilagay ang unsalted butter at haluin gamit ang mga kamay.
- Maglagay ng malamig na tubig kapag tuyo ang dough. I-flatten ang dough gamit ang rolling pin.
Para sa Filling:
- Tunawin ang butter sa isang kawali. Igisa ang sibuyas at bawang.
- Sunod na ilagay ang pitso at budburan ng asin at paminta.
- Ilagay ang carrots at green peas at igisa hanggang maging malambot.
- Ilagay ang harina at haluin ng mabuti. Budburan ng thyme.
- Ilagay ang heavy cream at chicken broth. Haluin ang filling hanggang maging malapot.
Para sa Chicken Pot Pie:
- Sa isang round pan, ilagay ang filling. Patagin ito gamit ang spatula.
- Dahan-dahang ilagay ang crust sa ibabaw ng pan. Alisin ang sobrang dough at ipress ang edges nito gamit ang tinidor. Pwede mong gamiting pangdecorate ng pie ang sobrang dough. Gumawa ng slits sa gitna ng pie para makalabas ang hangin galing sa filling.
- I-bake ang chicken pot pie ng 15 hanggang 20 minuto gamit ang 220C o 425F.
- I-serve ang chicken pot pie ng mainit. Kumuha ng isang slice o kainin ang buong pie! Enjoy!