“Small but terrible”. This quote best fits a lot of people but also fits as a nice description for a mushroom. Mushrooms are one of the underrated ingredients. When I was still a child, my mom usually cooks dishes with mushrooms but the first time I truly appreciated it was when my mom made a simple stir fried brocolli and mushrooms. I was able to really know its subtle taste, texture, flavor, and everything about it. The mushrooms at that time was one of the main characters and not just a sidekick.
Mushrooms do not have a strong taste but you’ll know it when it’s there. In KFC, even though they are unli gravy, you can easily determine which among the gravies is the mushroom infused ones (and mushroom gravy is not unli :((( ).
Technically speaking, there is a wide variety of mushrooms and not all of them are edible and safe. Edible mushrooms are usually foraged or bred at specific environments. If you are interested in the traditional way of foraging mushrooms, be sure that you have an expert with you.
As of today, mushrooms are much more available than ever and are very afforable in price. No need to hike and forage for hours since canned mushrooms are always available at supermarkets. For added knowledge, canned mushrooms are usually the white button kind. This is also the mushroom which will be used in this recipe. They are available as whole and sliced.
If you want a mushroom infused dish, then this dish is the perfect one for you! Try and make some chicken in mushroom sauce today!
HOW TO COOK CHICKEN IN MUSHROOM SAUCE
Making chicken in mushroom sauce is truly simple and straightforward. This dish can be prepared in less than an hour, perfect for some busy days.
The two main components of this dish is the chicken and the mushroom sauce. For the chicken, it would be highly recommended to use boneless and tender parts like the chicken breast. Start by marinating the chicken cuts in a dry marinade made with seasonings, herbs and spices. Even with the mushroom sauce, the flavor of the chicken must be unleashed to make it stand out on its own. In this recipe, I used herbs and spices such as salt, pepper, garlic powder and rosemary. You can add other seasonings if you like.
I am cooking the chicken cuts in batches so I coated them with flour once done with the herbs and spices. After that step, sear the chicken until the crusts are crisp and brown. Remove them from the pan.
Use the same pan in making the mushroom sauce. Don’t let the leftover chicken flavors go to a waste. First, saute the onions and garlic. In this recipe, using white onions are highly recommendable. They become translucent after a few minutes of sauteing and releases an extra sweetness flavor infused in the oil. Next, add the mushrooms and saute to also infuse its flavor in the oil.
Put the chicken back to the pan and saute to capture the onion and mushroom flavor. In this recipe, I added some white wine just for some added elite aroma and flavor. This is totally optional so only add white wine if you have one at home (don’t confuse this with red wine!).
The last ingredient to add is the all purpose cream. This type of cream is the creamiest among the milks you can find in the grocery and best fits this recipe. Adding some fresh parsley is totally optional but it adds some freshness and color to the dish.
Dishes like this makes me want to grab a large bowl of hot steaming rice and put the chicken in mushroom sauce all over it. Tara kain!
Chicken in Mushroom SauceCourse: Chicken Recipes
¾ kilo chicken breast fillet (sliced)
¼ cup flour
½ teaspoon rosemary (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion (chopped)
5 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 can (115 g) mushroom (drained)
¼ cup white wine (optional)
1 pack (250 ml) all purpose cream
- Prepare the chicken cuts and put them in a bowl. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and rosemary. Mix until well combined.
- Add flour into the chicken and mix until well coated.
- Melt some butter in a pan. Add a spoon of any cooking oil. Add the coated chicken into the pan and lightly sear using medium to high heat. Flip to cook the other side. Once the crusts are seared, remove them from the pan.
- In the same pan, add some oil. Add the onions and garlic. Saute for a few minutes (do not let the onions turn brown). Add the mushrooms and saute a bit. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the seared chicken back to the pan. Next, add the white wine (optional). Once the aroma of the white wine evaporates, add the all purpose cream. Stir gently until all chicken is coated with the sauce. Cover the pan and let it simmer for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add some fresh parsley. Stir and let it cook for a minute. Then, turn the heat off.
- Transfer the chicken in mushroom sauce to a serving dish. Serve this with hot steaming rice. Enjoy!
Chicken in Mushroom Sauce Recipe (TAGALOG)
- ¾ kilo ng pitso ng manok (hiniwa)
- ¼ tasa ng harina
- ½ kutsarita ng rosemary (optional)
- asin at paminta
- 3 kutsara ng butter
- 2 kutsara ng olive oil
- 1 sibuyas (hiniwa)
- 5 butil ng bawang (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 1 lata (115 g) ng mushroom (walang syrup)
- ¼ tasa ng white wine (optional)
- 1 pack (250 ml) ng all purpose cream
- Ihanda at hiwain ang manok at ilagay sa bowl. Budburan ito ng asin, paminta, garlic powder at rosemary. Haluin ng mabuti.
- Maglagay ng harina sa manok at icoat ang mga ito.
- Tunawin ang butter sa kawali. Magdagdag ng 1 kutsara ng cooking oil. Ilagay ang coated chicken at lutuin gamit ang katamtamang hanggang malakas na apoy. Baliktarin para maluto ang kabilang side. Kapag luto na, alisin ang mga ito sa kawali.
- Sa parehas na kawali, maglagay ng mantika. Ilagay ang sibuyas at bawang at igisa ng ilang minuto (wag paabuting maging brown ang sibuyas). Ilagay ang mga mushrooms at igisa ng konti. Budburan ng asin at paminta.
- Ibalik ang mga manok sa kawali. Sunod na ilagay ang white wine (optional). Kapag nawala na ang aroma ng wine, saka ilagay ang all purpose cream. Haluin ito hanggang malagyan lahat ng sauce. Takpan ang kawali at hayaan ito maluto ng 1 – 2 minutes.
- Maglagay ng parsley. Haluin ito at hayaang maluto pa ng konti bago patayin ang apoy.
- Ilipat ang chicken in mushroom sauce sa serving dish. Ihain ito sa ibabaw ng mainit na kanin. Enjoy!