Bistek is one of the classic Filipino dishes which is made with thin slices of meat simmered in a sauce made with the umami seasonings such as the soy sauce, calamansi juice, peppers, topped with some softened white onion rings. Aside from the usual, this recipe holds a special ingredient which makes the bistek sweeter and more tender. See the recipe for yourself to find out!
It would be really funny if what my lolo told me about our favorite bistek is true. He told me that bistek is a much shorter version of beef steak, or that some Pinoy’s said the beef steak so fast that it sounded “bistek”.
Anyways, we all know that beef steak or bistek is that one dish with many onion rings on top. As an onion lover, I really look forward when my lolo makes this dish for us. It is one of my lolo’s favorite dish so we always prepare this dish during regular days, especially when white onions are in sale.
And yep, talking about the sale. I just recently bought a half sack of white onions for a discounted price!! I’m so happy. These might look many at first but when made into caramelized onions and added in bistek, this half sack of onions will be gone in a blink of an eye.
Beef steak is one of my favorites and I’m very sure you’ll like it too. If beef is a bit heavy on the budget for you, you can also try this recipe using pork and chicken. Read and follow the simple steps below. Happy cooking!
HOW TO COOK BEEF STEAK
Preparing a beef steak is very simple and straight forward.
To start, marinate the beef with all the ingredients (except the garlic and onions). In this recipe, I added some lemon soda as a source of sweetness. Actually, I added it because this is my lolo’s secret ingredient. Aside from adding a hint of fruity flavor, this will also help in tenderizing the meat.
Next, saute the onions until it softens but still a bit crunchy (ya know). The white onions are cut into thin ring especially for this type of dish.
Fry the beef first just to have the crust crispy and brown. But if you have a limited time only, you can simply put everything in the pan until the beef is cooked and tender. Just be careful on overcooking the beef as it might become chewy.
When the sauce is thick, it usually means that the beef steak is ready. Don’t forget to top it with the onion rings and crispy garlic. I love this so much with hot steaming rice. Yum!
Beef Steak (Bistek)Course: Beef Recipes
1/2 kilo beef sirloin
1/4 cup soy sauce
8 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 teaspoon ground pepper
1 cup sprite (or any lemon soda)
1 medium onion (sliced in rings)
3 tablespoon calamansi juice (or lemon juice)
- Prepare the beef sirloin and place them in a bowl. Add the soy sauce, calamansi juice, 4 tablespoons minced garlic, ground pepper and Sprite. Mix all the ingredients well. Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and then let it marinate for 1 hour or overnight.
- Heat some oil in a pan and saute the onion rings. Once the onion softens, remove them from the pan.
- Saute the rest of the minced garlic and saute until golden and crispy. Set aside.
- Using the same pan, sear the beef first (reserve the marinade). Then, add the marinade. Allow it to cook until the sauce thickens.
- Transfer the beef steak in a serving dish and top it with onion rings and crispy fried garlic. Serve this with a bowl of hot steaming rice. Yummy!
Beef Steak (Bistek) Recipe TAGALOG
- 1/2 kilo ng beef sirloin
- 1/4 tasa ng toyo
- 8 butil ng bawang (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 1 kutsarita ng durog na paminta
- 1 tasa ng Sprite (o kahit anong lemon soda)
- 1 sibuyas na puti (hiniwa)
- Ihanda ang beef sirloin at ilagay ang mga ito sa bowl. Sunod na ilagay ang toyo, calamansi juice, 4 kutsara ng bawang, paminta at Sprite. Haluin ang mga ito at takpan ang bowl ng plastic wrap. Imarinate ang karne ng 1 hour o overnight.
- Magpainit ng mantika at igisa ang mga sibuyas. Kapag lumambot na ito, alisin sa kawali at isantabi.
- Igisa ang natitirang bawang hanggang maging golden brown at crispy. Isantabi.
- Gamit ang parehong kawali, iprito ang mga karne (isantabi ang marinade). Saka ilagay ang marinade. Hayaan itong maluto hanggang lumapot ang sauce.
- Ilipat ang beef steak sa serving dish at lagyan ng onion rings at fried garlic sa iabbaw. Samahan ito ng mainit na kanin. Yummy!