Want something korean over the weekend or family dinner? Here’s a quick and easy Korean BBQ dish you can whip up when you need a savory fix! This will definitely make any hang-out or weekend extra special, savouring the taste of beefy goodness!
What is Beef Bulgogi?
Bul-gogi or “Fire-meat” when translated, is made with the tender part of the beef, chicken or pork. Though Bulgogi specifically is often made with beef. Tender and thin slices are ideal because it easily soaks up the marinade and can be cooked over the pan in just a few minutes. This makes it an ideal dish to do on days when you’re in a rush for time.
More commonly known as a traditional Korean dish dating back to the Kingdom of Goguryeo around 37 BC or 668 AD, the cooking method has been changed and has evolved to the flavor profile we now know. These days there are many ways to handle and serve the dish. Depending on which region, country, and personal preferences the Bulgogi may be more savory or sweet. But all in all the dish has been a fan favorite for many that one could even eat this everyday.
Eat over rice or wrapped around in lettuce with red pepper paste!
Beef BulgogiCourse: Beef Recipes
500g thinly sliced beef (beef bulgogi)
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons mirin
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
3 – 4 tablespoons garlic (chopped)
1 cup onion (sliced)
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon oil
sesame seeds & green onions for garnish
- Prepare the marinade; mix together, soy sauce, mirin, brown sugar, sesame oil, garlic and onion.
- Add the meat in the marinade and make sure to massage and coat this well. Season with salt and pepper and mix well. Set aside in the fridge for an hour or overnight.
- In a pan at medium heat, add oil and 1/3 of the meat. Make sure to cook this in batches as the beef cook easily and may over cooked. Once this changes in color, flip these and cook till there are no pink spots left.
- Take these out and serve over rice. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions.
- You can marinade the meat for 20 to 30 minutes if your in a rush for time. Marinating the meat overnight can help give this a stronger flavor.
- Other beef strip options can be tenderloin, flank steak and sirloion.
Watch Beef Bulgogi Recipe Video
Beef Bulgogi Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 500g baka na manipis ang pagkahiwa
- 1/3 tasa soy sauce
- 2 kutsarang mirin
- 2 kutsarang brown sugar
- 1 kutsarang sesame oil
- 3 – 4 kutsarang bawang (tadtad)
- 1 tasa sibuyas (hiwa)
- ½ kutsaritang asin
- ½ kutsaritang paminta
- 1 kutsarang mantika
- sesame seeds at dahon ng sibuyas pang dekorasyon
- Ihanda ang marinade, paghaluin ang soy sauce, mirin, brown sugar, sesame oi, bawag, at sibuyas.
- Idagdag ang baka sa marinade at imasahe ang baka hangang natakpan ang lahat nito ng sarsa. Lagyan ng asin at paminta and haluin ng mabuti. Itabi sa ref ng 1 oras o magdamag.
- Maghanda ng kawali sa kalan na may katamtamang init, lagyan ng mantika at 1/3 ng baka. Lutuin ito ng mag pangkat dahil mabilis lang ito maluto and para di ito masobrahan ng pagluto at tumigas. Pag nagiba na ito ng kulay, ipabaligtad ito hanggang mawalan ng rosas na kulay.
- Itangal ito sa kawali at ilagay sa taas ng kanin, dekorasyonan ng sesame seeds at dahon ng sibuyas.