Indulge yourself with this combo of Filipino favorites! Sweet crunch of buttery graham base joined with a creamy sweet and smooth custard flan. These Graham Leche Flan Cupcakes are a delicious treat is so easy to make even the kids can join in!
How was the Graham Crackers invented?
Graham crackers weren’t originally made to keep the warm chocolaty marshmallow combo to make s’mores. It was actually made to keep certain frustrations in bay in the 1800’s. In the Victorian ‘desires’ were then seen as an evil act by the Devil which made people suffer from insanity, epilepsy and headaches and led others to ‘self abuse’ or mutilation, a common practice in the colloquialism times. To keep people from doing such acts Reverend Sylvester Graham created the graham cracker to help his fellow citizens, graham crackers back then lacked sugar, honey, and cinnamon and were extremely bland pieces of hard flour. He taught others that eating a bland diet could cure oneself from evil urges. He was then mobbed because of his extreme views.
The available and commonly known Graham crackers ne know today are a sweet crunchy take that only resembles the image of older form it once took. After the debacle of ‘purity’ with the help of graham crackers, the food item reached another gentleman named John Harvey Kellogg, who was very interested in breakfast culture, which were common healthy items. He caught on the idea of the cracker and with the brother Will Keith Kellogg, developed the iconic ‘Corn Flakes’.
What makes up a Graham Leche Flan Cupcakes?
Leche Flan is a Filipino version of the caramel custard dessert with European origins. In the 20thcentury European restaurant dessert menus were filled with crème caramels because of it’s convenience. This traditional dessert is usually formed with a saucy caramel top with soft custard akin to a crème brulee.
This dessert-snack is based on a popular ‘Graham de Leche’ cake made with layers of cream, leche flan, and graham biscuits, which made other desserts such as Graham de Leche iceboxes, flans, and cupcakes. The custardy flan made of eggs, sugar, and milk layered with buttery graham. This enticing dessert will just make your mouth water! This recipe is foolproof and a great alternative to a quick and easy dessert that you won’t even need to bake, but will still taste as great as the regular leche flan.
A cool summer styled version, perfect for the hot weather!What’s better than a serving of leche flan? A serving of creamy leche flan cupcake with a graham base!
Graham Leche Flan CupcakesCourse: Dessert
A sweet easy to do dessert kids and adults will love!
1 cup crushed graham crackers
1/3 cup melted butter
1 or 9 g pack gelatin or gulaman powder
1/3 cup warm water
1 can (370g) evaporated milk
1 can (380g) condensed milk
5 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a bowl, mix together crushed graham crackers and butter. Mix till this looks like wet sand. Prepare a cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Press 1 – 2 tablespons of graham to make the crust.
- In another bowl, mix water and gelatin. Set aside for 5 to 7 minutes. Till it looks a bit lumpy.
- In a pot at medium heat, add the evaporated milk, condensed milk, gelatin, egg yolks, and vanilla. Whisk till you get an almost smooth and thick texture. When this boils, take this out of the stove.
- Strain to remove lumps.
- Pour into cupcake molds. Carefully tap them to remove air bubbles.
- Chill for 3 hours to overnight.
- Take this out to enjoy with coffee!
- You can also just use cupcake liners. Make sure these are thick enough so the flan mixture will not spill.
- If the graham bits fly to the top of the Leche flan mixture when pouring. Simply freeze the cupcake base before pouring the Leche flan mixture to have a clean top.
- Freeze the cupcakes to make them to a custard like ‘ice cream’.
Graham Leche Flan Cupcakes (Tagalog)
- 1 tasa crushed graham crackers
- 1/3 tasa tunaw na mantikilya
- 1 or 9 g pakete gelatin or gulaman powder
- 1/3 tasa maligamgam na tubig
- 1 can (370g) evaporated milk
- 1 can (380g) condensed milk
- 5 dilaw ng itllog
- 1 kutsarang vanilla
- Sa isang mangkok, haluin ang crushed graham at mantikilya. Haluin hangang magmukang basing buhangin ito Maghanda ng cupcake pan na may liners. Ilagay ang 1 o 2 kutsarang graham at pindutin pababa para magawa ang crust.
- Sa ibang mangkok, haluin ang tubig at gelatin. Itabi ng 5 o 7 na minute. O hangang mag mukang makapal ito.
- Sa palayok na nasa katamtamang init, idagdag ang evaporated milk, condensed milk, gelatin, dilaw ng itlog, at vanilla. Haluin hangang maypagkakapal ang pakiramdam ng mixture pag hinalo. Pag kumulo, itangal ito sa kalan.
- Salain para matangal ang nga buo buo.
- Ilagay ito sa cupcake na molde. Itaktak ng maingat para matangal ang mga bula.
- Palamigin ng 3 oras o magdamag.
- Tangalin sa liner at kainin kasama ng kape!