Want a zesty brighter flavored fish for a change? Well this recipe is for you. This Bangus with Lemon Garlic Sauce is a great way to stray away from the usual fish sauces and flavors. This with delicious buttery garlicky lemon sauce, takes away any bad aroma or fishy taste and gives you a clean flavored fish dish that’s so easy to do you’ll only need 10 minutes.
What is a Bangus?
Bangus or ‘Milkfish’ is the National fish of the Philippines. It’s a fish readily available all around the Philippines since it’s an adaptable fish that can survive in confined spaces which makes it easier to bred in fish farms. It lays millions of eggs from March to May in shallow brackish water. This fish had been found to date back from the Cretaceous Period, around 145.5 to 65.5 million years ago. Aside from the Philippines this fish can also be found across the Indian and Pacific ocean from South Hawaii and the Marquesas, north japan, California to the Galapagos, and south Australia, typically found in tropical offshore island and marin waters.
Milkfish has a distinctive silver color and mild flavor that can easily compliment any ingredient, spices, and vegetables. Bangus can also be cooked in many ways like frilled, fried, barbecued, stewed, steamed and stuffed with various fillings like garlic, leeks, spring onions, and ginger, and sometimes even other meats. With numerous ways of cooking the Bangus dishes like rellenong bangus that’s eaten in holidays or on celebratory events, added into sinigang which one of the most popular soup dishes eaten in the Philippines, marinated and fried, dried and added into pasta, and more delicacies to list. Bangus is a Filipino ingredient that you shouldn’t miss.
Bangus Health Benefits
Bangus is a cheap and tasty way to get your omega-3 fatty acids that’s great for cardiovascular health. This unsaturated fat found in seafood and fish like bangus, mackerel, and Tilapia. Studies recommend that eating at least 1-2 servings of seafood help reduce the risk or developing cardiovascular problems. This silvery fish also contributes to infant development and health, lowers the risk of getting Alzheimer’s disease, problems with cognitive function, and dementia, this also helps reduce inflammation in arthritis. All in all the need to consume seafood to maintain our body’s health needs to be added to our diet to have a balanced choice of dishes and achieve our daily nutrient needs.
Bangus with Lemon Garlic Sauce?
This beautifully flavored dish with a crispy texture is made easy by just patting the fish to remove any liquids which help keep it from reacting to the oil and making it easier to fry, seasoned with salt and pepper, pan fried with a bit of oil till the skin is crispy and both sides have turned into a nice brown color. This is essential because this is the time when you’ll feel the crispy outside before cooling it on the side while making the lemon garlic sauce, garlic is then added into the pan to be cooked till aromatic, butter is added and melted, with the lemon zest and lemon juice added and stirred till its simmering and bubbling, bubbling means the sauce is really hot and a is thick enough to cover the fried bangus, add the bangus back stirring and coating it well with the sauce and taking it off the heat once most of the lemon garlic sauce has been absorbed by the bangus. Serve on a platter drizzled with any leftover sauces.
Lemon garlic sauce is a rich and tangy combo that makes any dish delicious so why not try it on Bangus? This recipe will make you smile in delight!
Bangus with Lemon Garlic SauceCourse: MainCuisine: Filipino
a healthy brightly flavored fish dish
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 cloves garlic (minced)
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoon pepper
1 whole boneless milkfish
- Use a paper towel to dry the milkfish. After patting them dry season both sides with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a pan at medium heat, add oil and place the milkfish in skin side down. Fry till the skin turns a golden brown and its 75% cooked through. Flip till both sides are a golden brown color. Take these off the head.
- In the same pan, sauté the garlic and add the butter and melt this. Add the lemon zest and lemon juice and stir well.
- Place the milkfish back in the pan and coat these well with the sauce cooking each side for 2-3 minutes or till the sauce has been absorbed.
- Place it on a plate with the sauce and serve.
Bangus with Lemon Garlic Sauce recipe (tagalog)
- 3 kutsarang limon juice
- 3 kutsarang mantikilya na walang asin
- 4 butil ng bawang (tinadtad)
- 2 kutsaritang asin
- 1 kutsaritang limon zest
- 2 kutsaritang paminta
- 1 buong bangus na walang tinik
- Gamit ang paper towel punasan ang bangus. Wisikan ang bawat gilid ng asin at paminta. Itabi.
- Sa kawali na may katamtamang init, lagyan ng mantika at ang bangus. Siguraduhing nakaharap pababa ang balat ng bangus. Iprito ito hanggang krispy at 75% na naluto. Ibaliktad at lutuin hanggang mag kayumanggi ang bulay ng bawat gilid. Tanggalin sa kawali.
- Sa parehong kawali iluto ang garlic at itunaw ang mantikilya. Ilagay ang limon zest at limon juice at haluin ng mabuti.
- Ibalik ang bangus sa kawali at ipahid ang sauce sab angus. Lutuin ang bawat gilid ng 2-3 na minute o hanggang masipsip ang lahat ng sauce.
- Ilapag sa plato kasama ang sauce at ihanda.