Bangus steak is a Filipino fish steak made by sautéing fried fish pieces in a savoury sauce made by soy sauce, calamansi juice, water, pepper and sugar. This yummy kitchen Fish steak recipe will show you how to make a fishs steak in easy and simple way..
How to Prepare the Bangus
Bangus is infamous for having to many fish bones in it. I hate it when I have to stop eating just to pick and remove each fish bone with a fear of choking with it. My family don’t want Bangus as well if they are not boneless. So in this recipe, I used boneless bangus.
Basically, you have to remove the scales and gills of the bangus. Then, cut lengthwise, from the back of the head up to the tales, exposing the belly. You will then need to pluck the bones from three lines of the flesh. In the market, they use special “plucking tool” to remove the bones.
If you don’t know how to remove the fish bones of the Bangus, you can ask in the seller (in the market) to remove it for you. Just say that you want it cleaned and boneless. You can also buy the bangus already boneless.
How to Fry Bangus
Another intimidating part of cooking bangus is its infamous oil-splattering quality. I have so many bad experiences in frying fish when I was young. I used to hold a pan lid to cover myself from splattering hot oil. I also wear long sleeves clothing when I know that I’m gonna be frying some fish because I get scared with hot oil.
Until I found out how to fry the fish without oil splattering. You have to drench it with flour and lightly coat with it. This will not only prevent the hot oil from splattering (and hurt you in the process), it can also keep your fish crunchy.
Make sure that the oil is hot enough before putting the fish to fry. Fry the fish until golden brown. Flip once to cook the other side.
Bangus SteakCourse: Fish RecipesCuisine: Filipino
1/2 kilo Bangus (boneless / no scales)
salt for seasoning
all-purpose flour for coating (optional)
1 large onion (cut into rings)
oil for frying
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup calamansi juice (or lemon juice) adjust as needed
1/4 cup water
ground black pepper to taste
1/2 tbsp. sugar (optional)
- Season the bangus with salt, both sides. Set aside and let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Then coat each fish with all-purpose flour. This will prevent the oil from splattering too much. you may skip this step and fry directly. (Brace yourself from the oil impact 😃 ).
- Fry the fish in medium heat. Flip to cook the other side. then set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sauce ingredients. Mix well. Set aside.
- In the same pan, saute’ onion. Reserve some for topping. Saute’ for a minute (just half-cooked). Then, add the sauce mixture. Cook for a minute or until slightly reduced.
- Then add the fried bangus. Simmer for a minute until the sauce sips in the fish. Top with onion rings. Serve.
Watch how to cook Bangus Steak
Bangus Steak or Milkfish steak Is a very popular and tasty. If you are looking for how to cook fish steak then this fish steak recipe will guide you step by step to make tasty and mouth watering steak fish