This bread pudding leche flan like hybrid makes a delectably yummy dessert with just 4 ingredients and with less than an hour you’ll be enjoying a deliciously sweet bite! Often overshadowed despite being an iconic and beloved dessert, bread pudding is still one of the best ways you can use up your leftover bread or spruce up whatever leftover items you may have. Try out this Bread pudding with just four ingredients recipe and we’re sure you’ll be enjoying your afternoon and after dinner dessert positively.
A brief history of the bread Pudding
The bread pudding came from humble beginnings, made as early as the 13thcentury England. Known as the ‘poor man’s pudding’ back then, it was made with stale leftover bread, soaked in water with a bit of sugar and some spices and other ingredients. Nowadays our bread puddings have now been replaced with the usual stale bread to certain breads that the usual white bread like croissants, Danishes, sweet breads and many more to suit the bread pudding type we’re looking for. Some even ranging from the brioche, panettone, and raisin bread or even scones. The bread puddings of today are now moisten with a buttery milky mixture or custard made of cream, butter, vanilla extract, and sugar. No longer looking like a poor man’s dessert and has not established its hold in the dessert world seen at households and in dessert menus found in restaurants.
How to make this simple recipe ?
The bread pudding has different versions, from the chunky with bits of the bread still being seen decorated with a drizzle of honey or condensed milk, to smooth puddings mashed or blended together to give it a nice silky texture decorated with a caramel top. All you need to do this Bread Pudding is use 4 pieces of pandesal that needs to be cut to bite sized pieces, placed in a bowl and soaked in evaporated milk that not just helps with the sweetness and helps soften the bread, it also helps with the creaminess of the pudding later on, setting this aside till most of the milk has been sucked by the bread, once thing to make sure you get the smooth bread pudding instead of the chunky bread pudding is making sure the bread has been fully covered by the milk or adding a little bit more milk when you’ve seen most of the evaporated milk is gone. This sometimes also depends on the bread you use as drier bread may need more liquids. This is then blended with a blender or hand blender, mixing in more sugar to add more sweetness and contrast with the egg-y taste when adding the 2 large eggs or 3 medium sized eggs after. Once all these are blended and smooth pour it over a mold with cooled caramel made of white sugar and a little bit of water heated over a pan till its all sugar granules are dissolved and the syrup has turned into a honey color. Make sure before pouring the pudding that the caramel has hardened or cooled down as if its still warm and watery, this might mix with the pudding mixture and it wont come out with a beautifully glazed top. Covering the pan with a foil top to prevent water droplets from falling into the cake once its steaming. Checking for it to be fully cooked then cooling it down before flipping it over to remove it from the mold or scraping the size to make sure its staple. You can all cook this in the fridge to lessen cool down time or make it into a chilled dessert.
This deliciously wonderful simple and easy cake is just so worth it to make you cant help but love it once you take a bite!
Bread PuddingCourse: Dessert, Snacks
A sweet and easily tasty way to use up your old bread
4 pieces pandesal
1 large can (410ml) evaporated milk
5 tablespoons sugar
6 tablespoon sugar (for the caramel)
- Cut the pandesal or any bread into small pieces, place them into a bowl and pour over the evaporated milk. Make sure everything is drenched in milk and let this soak these for 15 minutes.
- On a pan at low heat, add in 6 tablespoons sugar and 3 tablespoons water. Mix till it caramelizes; take it off the heat once it turns into honey color.
- Pour the caramel into a mold, spread this around the bottom and let it cool.
- Blend the soaked bread with a hand blender or a normal blender. Add 2 to 3 eggs and 5 tablespoons sugar and blend well.
- Pour this into the mold with caramel. Cover with foil and place it in a steamer in low to medium heat. Steam for 30-35 minutes.
- To check if the pudding is ready, poke a toothpick in the middle of the pudding; this should come out clean or not too sticky. Take it off the heat.
- Let this cool uncovered. Once cooled, use a bread knife to scrape the sides. Flip using a large plate and take it out of the mold.
- Serve and enjoy!
Bread pudding is a delicious dessert that’s not just an option to use leftover bread from, you can also use new bread, just make sure its cooled down and cut to pieces before soaking it with the milk mixture. To make it extra creamy you can also use condensed milk instead of white sugar. Use any mold you like if you want to be a holiday themed cake, use a nice Bundt pan or a character themed pan for kids to enjoy. This Bread pudding with just 4 ingredients isn’t just a last minute dessert, it’s a dish that anyone can make and everyone has a version of it they love.
Bread Pudding with just 4 ingredients recipe (tagalog)
- 4 piraso pandesal
- 1 malaking lata (410ml) evaporated milk
- 5 kutsarang asukal
- 3 itlog
- 6 kutsarang asukal (para sa Karamel)
- Hiwain ang mga pandesal o kahit anong tinapay ng maliliit, ilgay ang mga ito sa mangkok at buhusan ng evaporated milk. Siguraduhing natatakpan ang mga tinapay ng gatas at itabi ng 15 minuto.
- Sa kawali na may mahinang init, lagyan ng 6 kutsarang asukal at 3 kutsarang tubig. Haluin hanggang mag caramel. Tanggalin sa init ag nagmukang pulot ang kulay nito.
- Ibuhos ang karamel sa molde, ikalat ito sa ibaba at palamigin.
- Iblend anf mga tinapay gamit ang hand blender o normal na blender. Lagyan ng 2 o 3 itlog at 5 kutsarang asukal at iblend ng maiigi.
- Ibuhos ito sa molde na may karamel. Takpan ang ga ito ng foil at ilagay sa steamer na may katamtamang init. Isteam ng 30-35 na minuto.
- Para malaman kung handa na ang pudding, sundutin ang gitna gamit ang toothpick. Dapat lumabas ito ng malinis o di padikit. Tanggalin sa init.
- Palamigin na walang takip. Paglumamig na, gumamit ng kutsiluo para kutkotin ang mga gilid. Ibaliktad gamit ang plato at tanggali into sa molde.
- Ihanda at ienjoy!