Enjoy your two favorite treats in one – MILO CAKE! And if you don’t have oven, worry no more! This Milo Cake is cooked using a steamer so you can still make one. We also include a recipe for rich and chocolatey Milo frosting so you can whip this goodie up in no time!
Milo is one of my childhood favorite chocolate drink. I grew up drinking a cup of Milo in the morning, partnered with any breakfast that our mom prepare for us. Growing up, aside from drinking this, I used to eat this treat straight from its packet. It has this distinct chocolate flavor that is kinda different from cocoa. Today, I’ve experimented in the kitchen and whip up a yummy steamed Milo cake!
No-bake Milo Cake Recipe (Steamed)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (100g)
- 4 packets milo (88g) (around 3/4 cup)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (150g)
- 3/4 cup milk (180ml) (evap, whole or fresh milk)
- 2 medium-sized eggs
- 1/4 cup oil (60ml) (vegetable oil)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
1. In a mixing bowl, sift all purpose flour, milo, baking soda, baking powder ang salt. Sift to remove clumps then mix well.
2. Add milk, eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla extract. Mix well until smooth. DO NOT OVERMIX.
2. Line the baking pan with baking or parchment paper. I used a loaf pan in this recipe. You can use round or square pan.
3. Pour the cake batter to your baking pan. Tap against the surface to remove bubbles. Cover with foil (for steaming) to prevent the steam water from dripping to the cake.
3. Steam for 35 to 40 minutes in or until toothpick comes out clean. Use medium heat. For baking, bake at 180C for 30 to 35 minutes or do toothpick test.
4. Once cooked, remove from baking pan, remove the baking paper and let it cool. Set aside while making frosting
How to Make Milo Choco Frosting
- 3 packets milo (66g) (around 1/2 cup)
- 2 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose cream (or milk / heavy cream)
- 1 tsp. all purpose flour (to thicken the frosting)
- 1 tbsp. butter (or margarine)
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
- sugar as needed (OPTIONAL) (I added1/4 cup)
1. In a pot, sift milo, cocoa powder, flour and salt. Then add all purpose cream. Stir and mix well until all powder is dissolved. Taste for sweetness. Add sugar as needed. Then cook in low heat until thick while stirring continuously.
2. Once the frosting thickened, turn off heat then add butter and vanilla extract. Stir until butter melted and become smooth.
Frost your cake however you like. I added some chocolate chips.
- If baking paper is not available, you can create a layer by greasing the baking pan with softened butter and dust it with flour.
- Make sure that the water in the steamer is already boiling before putting the cake.
- Putting milo choco frosting is optional. You can you any of your favorite or go-to frosting / icing.
- You may also add nuts or choco chips in the mixture to add more flavor.