Sarciadong tokwa is a dish made of crunchy tofu coated with thick egg and tomato sauce. It is a savory and low-fat dish which can be served with hot steaming rice or you can eat it on its own. Cook this and it will surely amaze your family!
The term “sarciado” is based on the Spanish term “sarsa” which means sauce. Sarciado dishes are basically dishes cooked with thick sauce. The classic sarciado dishes are made with onions, garlic, tomatoes, scrambled eggs and a meat of your choice. I grew up with my lola cooking sarciadong isda for lunch. It was literally one of my favorites. The flavors from the different sautéed aromatics added with a rich tomato taste and combo-ed with scrambled eggs—give me some extra rice!
As I cook my own meals now, I tried to experiment with other ingredients instead of using the fish. And I am proud to share this sarciadong tokwa recipe to you. Tofu is one of the best protein alternatives to meat. One bonus point is that it is relatively cheaper! The thick and savoury sauce matched with the creaminess of the egg partnered with the crunchy tokwa is one of the best tastes that could burst all together in my mouth. What I like best with the tokwa is that it is crunchy on the outside but is soft on the inside. Try this recipe and let’s talk about your experience!
HOW TO COOK SARCIADONG TOKWA
Believe me when I say that this dish is super easy. To cook the sarciadong tokwa, start by preparing the tofu. Remember to choose the firm but fresh ones. If you buy the tofu today, cook it today. Cut the tofu into bite-sized pieces. Before frying, try to remove all the remaining liquid in the tofu by using a paper towel. The liquid in the tofu might cause oil splattering if not controlled. You may also want to use a non-stick pan in frying to have an easier frying experience. Once the tofu is crunchy and light brown, transfer them to a strainer to drain the excess oil. Do not overcook the tofu as it will give you a dry one.
When the tofu pieces are done, time to make the sarsa. Saute the aromatics and then add the tomatoes. Crush the tomatoes gently. This will give the sauce a rich taste. Season with salt and pepper. Pour some water into the mixture. The amount of water depends on how saucy you want the dish to be. In this recipe, I used a cup of water, enough for the resulting sauce to coat the tofu. If you want a soup-y one, you may add more water. Season again with salt and pepper and balance the taste using sugar. As the sarsa boils, add a beaten egg and quickly stir. This will help the egg distribute within the sauce and let it cook faster. This step is like cooking an egg drop soup. Add the fried tofu into the sarsa and coat it well. Serve this sarciadong tokwa with hot steaming rice and enjoy!
½ kilo firm tofu
5 pieces of tomatoes (chopped)
1 medium-sized onion (minced)
4 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 cup water
Sugar (to taste)
Salt and pepper (to taste)
1 large egg
Oil for frying
- Cut the tofu into small, bite-sized squares. Heat some oil in a pan and deep-fry the tofu pieces until crunchy and light brown. Transfer them to a strainer or a paper towel to drain excess oil. Set aside.
- Heat some oil in a pan. Saute the chopped onion and garlic until aromatic and light brown. Then, add the chopped tomatoes. Continue sautéing until the tomatoes softened. Press gently to crush the tomatoes. Season with salt and black pepper. Add a cup of water and stir the ingredients until well-combined. Let it boil and simmer for a few minutes.
- Perform a taste test and add some sugar to balance the taste. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Whisk an egg in a small bowl. Pour the egg to the tomato mixture and stir to cook and distribute the egg.
- Add the fried tofu pieces and coat with the sauce.
- Transfer the sarciadong tokwa to a serving dish and serve with hot rice. Enjoy!
Watch how to Cook Sarciadong Tokwa
Sarciadong Tokwa Recipe (tagalog)
- ½ kilo ng tokwa
- 5 pirasong kamatis (hiniwa)
- 1 sibuyas (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 tasang tubig
- asin at paminta
- 1 pirasong itlog
- Hiwain ang tokwa ng maliliit na squares. Magpainit ng kawali at lagyan ito ng maraming mantika. I-deep fry ang mga piraso ng tokwa hanggang maging crunchy at light brown. Ilipat ang mga ito sa isang strainer o paper towel para tumulo ang sobrang mantika.
- Magpainit ng isa pang kawali at lagyan ito ng mantika. Igisa ang sibuyas at bawang hanggang maging light brown. Ilagay ang mga hiniwang kamatis. Haluin ito at hayaang maluto hanggang lumambot ang mga kamatis. I-press ng bahagya ang mga kamatis para madurog. Lagyan ang tomato mixture ng asin at paminta. Sunod na ilagay ang tubig at haluin ang mga ito ng mabuti. Hayaan itong kumulo ng ilang minuto.
- Tikman ang tomato mixture at lagyan ng asukal kung kailangan. Haluin ito hanggang matunaw ang asukal.
- Mag-bate ng itlog sa isang maliit na bowl. Ilagay ang itlog sa tomato mixture at ihalo para maluto at kumalat ang itlog.
- Ilagay ang mga pritong tokwa sa kawali at ihalo ito sa sarsa.
- Ilipat ang sarciadong tokwa sa isang lalagyan at i-serve kasama ang mainit na kanin. Enjoy!