While mangoes are usually the seasonal summer fruit, Mango Bravo is a popular creamy chiffon cake filled with a crisp meringue and a chunk full of cubed mangoes. There’s nothing like a sweet chilled dessert to keep you awake in the afternoon, create this cake as a nice surprise for someone special or recreate this on special days to make the day just a bit more livelier. On this Mango Bravo recipe, we’ll be making a Mango bravo without an oven while trying to make it easier and still have it come out as delicious.
Mango Health benefits
Why are Mangoes the summer fruit we all love? The Mango of ‘Mangifera indica’ is called the king of fruits. This is considered a stone fruit because of the large seed in the middle. Native to Southeast Asia and India, and has been cultivated for over 4,000 years, there are around a hundred or more variety of mangoes each with its distinguishable shape, color, size, and taste. Mangoes aren’t just the golden sweet fruit that we all love to flavor our shakes, creamy desserts, or smoothie bowls with. It also has a lot of health benefits like the following:
- Mangoes are packed full of nutrients, a cup of mango provides vitamin C, calcium, iron, and many more that helps aid the immune system and promote growth.
- These are high in Antioxidants, mangoes are packed with polyphenols which are plant compounds that are also antioxidants. These are important because antioxidants are needed to protect cells from free radical damage.
- Helps boost immunity, mangoes also have nutrients like Vitamin A, B, C, K, E, and folate that help fight infections
- Can support heath health, mangoes offer magnesium and potation that promotes low blood pressure and helps the blood vessels relax.
- Improve digestive health; mangoes contain amylases which are digestive enzymes. These are needed to break down molecules so it could be easily absorbed.
- Keeps your eyesight sharp, while carrot are more well known to help the eyes, mangoes also have carotenoids like lutein, zeaxanthin, beta carotene, that help with maintaining eyesight.
- May improve skin and hair health; Vitamin C which mangoes do have also help in producing collagen which prevents the wrinkling and sagging of the skin, while vitamin A helps keep the scalp healthy.
Any which way you do come to eat the mango, from any of the benefits, of because of its overall natural sweetness or pop of color it gives to a dish. You’re sure to enjoy a bite of this refreshingly gratifying summer fruit.
What is a Mango Bravo?
Conti’s Bakeshop popularly created Mango Bravo. Its described as a cake made with layers of chiffon, meringue wafers, cream, and ripened mangoes. Topped with more mangoes and drizzled with chocolate syrup. Its been a best seller since it was created and is still being sold as one of it’s most popular cakes till today.
In this recipe, all you need is to prepare the cake layer, which is a simple chiffon cake that is steamed into a nice soft and fluffy cake, left to the side to be cooled. For the 2ndpart, the meringue mixture is just an easy whip of egg whites, vinegar, and sugar, to be folded with flour and cashews, molded to a circle and dry steamed to a flattened meringue like cracker. The 3ndpart is to create the whipping cream, all one needs to do is to make sure the whipping cream used has been chilled overnight to make sure it stabilizes and then it’ll be ready to get whipped with gelatin to help it stabilize better and powdered sugar to give it a sweeter taste. And finally the chocolate is melted with warm milk to create a nice chocolate syrup used to decorate the cake. These are all arranged together to create a sweet and satisfyingly textural melt in your mouth cake that your sure to be proud to have made!
Try out this decadent summer favorite cake that no one can say no to! This mango-overloaded dessert is a balance between sweet, creamy, and juicy that just makes you moan in delight!
No Oven Mango BravoCourse: DessertCuisine: Filipino
A sweet creamy mango-licious summer favorite!
1 and ½ to 2 cups mango (cubed)
- Cake layer
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2/3 cup sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon white vinegar
¼ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup milk
½ tablespoon vanilla
- Meringue layer
2 egg whites
½ teaspoon white vinegar
1/3 cup white sugar
¼ cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup crushed cashews
- Chocolate syrup
1 cup chocolate chunks
1/3 cup hot milk
- Whip cream
2 tablespoons unflavored clear gelatin
2 tablespoons hot water
2 packs all purpose cream (chilled overnight)
1 cup powdered sugar
- Cake layer
- In a bowl, sift together flour and baking powder. Add sugar and salt, mix well and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk 4 egg whites till foamy, add white vinegar and gradually add sugar while whisking in medium high speed. Whisk till you reach stiff peaks. Set aside.
- In a new bowl, mix 4 egg yolks, vegetable oil, milk, and vanilla. Add the dry mixture in two parts mixing well each time.
- Fold in the egg white mixture in two parts, folding well each time till there are no white streaks left. Set aside.
- Prepare a 2 pans lined below with a parchment paper. Fill both equally with the batter. Tap 3 times only when the steamer is ready.
- To prepare the steamer, boil enough water making sure this does not hit the pan once the rack is placed. Place the cake pan and cover for 20 – 25 minutes.
- To check if the cake is ready, poke the middle of the cake with a toothpick. This should come out clean or with dry bits. Remove from the heat and let this cool to room temperature.
- Scrape the sides and flip, remove the parchment and set this aside to cool fully.
- Meringue layer
- Prepare a parchment and trace the pan’s size. Cut to the outline; prepare a plate or pan and place the cut paper ink down. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk egg whites till foamy, add white vinegar and gradually add the sugar while whisking. Whisk till you get soft peaks.
- Fold in flour and cashews. This can make 2 meringue layers.
- Place all or half of the meringue mixture on the parchment paper. Clean it with a tissue to form the correct shape.
- Cover a pan at medium-high heat for 5 to 7 minutes. Place a wire rack and the meringue pan; cover for 15 to 20 minutes or till the meringue has browned. This will harden as it cools.
- Remove this from the parchment only after it cools. Repeat for the remaining meringue batter if you still have some.
- Chocolate syrup
- Prepare a bowl of chocolate chunks. Pour in the hot milk.
- Mix till there are no white steaks left.
- Leave this in the fridge for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Whip cream
- Mix 2 tablespoons gelatin with hot water. Set aside.
- In another bowl whip the all purpose cream till it doubles in size.
- Add powdered sugar and whisk well. Scrape the sides and add the gelatin mixture. Mix well ad let it chill in the fridge for 20 – 30 minutes before using.
- For the optional chocolate cream; take ¼ or 1/3 of the whipped cream and add 3 – 5 tablespoons chocolate syrup and mix well. Taste and add more if you want it chocolatier. Leave in the fridge to chill.
- To assemble
- Place the bottom cake layer, top with chocolate cream. Chill in the fridge it feels too soft.
- Place the meringue mixture and trim the sides if needed.
- Spread a thin layer of cream, add mangoes and top with more cream to lever the mangoes.
- Top with the 2nd layer of cake. Lightly cream the whole cake. Freeze in the fridge if it feels too soft.
- Place the remaining whipped cream in a piping bag with a star tip. Pipe from the bottom to the top of the sides. Then pipe stars around the tip of the edges.
- Top with mangoes and drizzles chocolate syrup.
- Chill before serving.
- To bake the cake, using the oven, place this in a 180°C or 350°F preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- When steaming cover the pan’s cover with a cloth to avoid water droplets from hitting the cake, or cover the cake with an aluminum cover,
- To bake the meringue using the oven, place this in a 180°C or 350°F preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
Mango Bravo recipe (tagalog)
1 at ½ o 2 tasa mangga (hati hati)
- 1 tasa harina
- 1 kutsaritang baking powder
- 2/3 tasa asukal
- ¼ kutsaritang asin
- 4 itlog
- 1 kutsaritang white vinegar
- ¼ tasa vegetable oil
- ¼ tasa gatas
- ½ kutsarang vanilla
- 2 puti ng itlog
- ½ kutsaritang white vinegar
- 1/3 tasa asukal
- ¼ tasa harina
- 1/3 tasa tinadtad na kasuy
- 2 kutsarang unflavored clear gelatin
- 2 kutsarang mainit na tubig
- 2 packete ng all purpose cream (pinalamig magdamag)
- 1 tasa powdered sugar
- 1 tasa tinadtad na tsokolate
- 1/3 tasa mainit na gatas
Keyk na pantig
- Sa isang mangkok, salain ang harina at baking powder. Ihalo ditto ang asukal at asin. Itabi.
- Sa panibagong mangkok, batihin ang 4 na puti ng itlog hangang magbula, dadagan ng white vinegar at konting konting ibuhos ang asukal habang binatati. Ibati hangang mag stiff peaks. Itabi.
- Gamit ang ibang mangkok, haluin ang dilaw ng itlog, vegetable oil, gatas, at vanilla. Idagdag ang tuyong mixture ng dalawang parte, haluin ng mabuti bawat beses,
- Itupi ang puti ng itlog ng 2 parte, itupi bawat beses hangangang walang nang puto makita. Itabi.
- Maghanda ng 2 pan na may parchment paper sa ibaba. Punuin ang bawat nito ng batter. Tapikin lamang ng 3 beses kung handa na ang steamer.
- Para handain ang steamer, magkulo ng tubgi sa malaking kawali, siguraduting hindi ito sobrang puno na madididkit ng tubig ang cake pan kahit may rack na nakalugar sa ibaba ng cake pan. Takpan ang kawali ng 20-15 na minuto.
- Para malaman kung luto na ang keyk, sundutin ang gitna gamit ang toothpick. Dapat lumabas ito ng malinis o may konting tuyong piraso ng keyk. Tangalin ito sa init at palamigin.
- Simutin ang gilid at ibaliktad, tangalin ang parchment at itabi para palamigin muli.
- Maghanda ng parchment at itrace ang sukat ng keyk pan. Gupitin sa tamang sukat at maghanda ng plato o pan at ilugar ang parchment ng nakaharap sa plato ang may tinta. Itabi.
- Sa sang mangkok, batihin ang mga puti ng itlog hangang mabual, dagdagin ng white vinegar, and pakonti-konti ibuhos ang asukal habang binabati. Batihin hangang magkasoft peaks.
- Idagdag ang harina at kasuy. Tiklupin ito ng mabuti. Pwede gumawa ng 2 meringue na pantig gamit ng batter na ito.
- Ilagay ang lahat o kalahati ng meringue mixture sa parchment paper. Linisin gamit ang tissue para buuin ng tamang sukat.
- Takpan ang kawali na may katamtamang init ng 5-7 na minuto. Pagkatapos ilagay ang rack sa gitna nito kasama ang meringue na pan at takpan ito ng 15-20 na minute, o hanggang magkayumanggi ang kulay nito. Titigas ito pag lumamig.
- Tangalin lamang ito sa parchment pag hindi na ito mainit. Ulitin kung may natitirang meringue na batter.
- Maghanda ng mangkok na may chocolate chunks at isama ang mainit na gatas.
- Haluin hanggang wala nang natitirang putting kulay.
- Iwanin ito sa red ng 10 na minute para kumapal.
- Haluin ang 2 kutsarang gelatin sa mainit na tubig. Itabi.
- Sa ibang mangkok batihin ang all purpose cream hanggang magdoble ng laki.
- Idagdag ang powdered sugar at batihin. Ikayod ang mga gilid at idagdag ang gelatin, haluin ng mabuti at palamigin ito sa ref ng 20-30 na minute bago gamitin.
- Para sa opsyonal na chocolate cream; kumuha ng ¼ o 1/3 ng ginawang creama at ihali ito ng 3-5 kustarang chocolate syrup. Tikman at dagdagan ng chocolate syrup kung kunakailangan. Iwanin sa ref para lumamig.
- Ilagay ang pambaba na keyk, ipatong ang chocolate cream. Palamigin sa ref kung masyado itong malambot.
- Ilugar ang meringue sa taas nito ang itrim ang mga gilid kung kinakailangan.
- Ipahid ang manipis na layer ng whip cream, lagyan ng mangga, at takpan ito ng whip cream.
- Ilagya ng 2ndlayer ng keyk. Ipahid ang buong keyk ng cream. Palamigin sa ref kung lumambot ang cream.
- Ilagay ang natitirang whipped cream sa piping bag na may star tip. Ipipe galing baba pataas sa mga gilid. Pagkatapos magpipe sa taas ng mga gilid ng mga stars.
- Ilgay ang mga natitirang mangga sa taas at ibuhos ang chocolate syrup pag dekorasyon.
- Palamigin bago ihanda.