WARNING: Sweetness overload. Not for diabetics. If you have a massive craving for sweetness, minatamis na saging and kamote got your back! Eat this delicious treat as it is or make some saging and kamote con hielo for a refreshing experience!
MINATAMIS NA SAGING AT KAMOTE
Minatamis na saging at kamote seems to be one of the simplest desserts to be discovered by mankind. With the name itself, this minatamis dish is consisting of banana and sweet potato sweetened in a sweet caramel syrup. This dessert is very popular mainly because of its simple ingredients and ease of preparation.
Minatamis na saging at kamote is commonly eaten as it is. One of the common uses of this dish is being a sweet good base for saging and kamote con hielo. Some people also use it a nice pie filling for a sweet pie. Have your dessert prepared in less than 20 minutes and give this recipe a try today!
HOW TO COOK MINATAMIS NA SAGING AT KAMOTE
If you would take a quick peak on the ingredients list, you may realize that what you needed to make this heavenly dessert might already be sitting on your pantry.
Normally, saging na saba is used in minatamis dishes since it is mildly sweet compared to other varieties. You may use ripe or unripe bananas. Just note that unripe bananas may take extra minutes to cook since they are firmer and needed more time to absorb the caramel flavor. As you prepare the saging and kamote, the only thing you needed to do is to braise them in a mixture of brown sugar and water. If you are planning to use muscovado sugar, that would be better since the caramel flavor would be stronger. If in case only white sugar is available, you may still work with it but the final color of your minatamis would be lighter than expected. The original minatamis na saging and kamote only uses banana, sweet potatoes, brown sugar and water. The sago and vanilla extract were just add-ons but can really enhance the dessert and make it more appetizing.
Satisfy your sweet tooth cravings and enjoy the minatamis na saging at kamote. Beat the heat with saging and kamote con hielo!
Minatamis na Saging at KamoteCourse: Desserts, Filipino Recipes
10 pieces of banana (cut into three pieces)
5 pieces of sweet potato (peeled and sliced into chunks)
1 cup cooked sago or ½ cup uncooked tapioca pearls
1 ½ cup brown sugar
2 to 3 cups water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
salt to taste
- To cook the sago, add some water in a pot and add the uncooked sago. Boil the sago for 15 minutes using medium heat. Stir from time to time to prevent from sticking.
- After 15 minutes, pour some cold water to cook the middle part. Drain the cooked sago and soak in cold water until ready to use.
- Prepare the banana and sweet potatoes. Peel and slice them into serving pieces.
- Boil some water in a pan. Add the brown sugar and stir carefully to dissolve. If you are using unripe bananas, add the bananas and let it cook for 5 to 8 minutes until it absorbs the sugar before adding the sweet potatoes. If you are using ripe bananas, add the sweet potatoes and bananas at the same time. Cover the pan and let it cook until the sweet potato is tender.
- Add the cooked sago, a pinch of salt to balance the sweetness and the vanilla extract. Mix well until fully-combined. Let it cook until the sauce is reduced.
- Transfer the minatamis ng saging at kamote in a serving plate. You can eat is as it is or use as a toppings for shaved ice and milk. Enjoy!
Paano Magluto ng Minatamis na Kamote at Saging
- 10 piraso ng saging (hatiin sa tatlong piraso)
- 5 piraso ng kamote (binalatan at hiniwa)
- 1 tasa ng lutong sago o ½ tasa ng hilaw na sago
- 1 ½ tasa ng asukal na pula
- 2 hanggang 3 tasa ng tubig
- 1 kutsarita ng vanilla extract (optional)
- Para sa pagluluto ng sago, magpainit ng tubig at ilagay ang sago. Hayaan itong kumulo ng 15 minuto gamit ang katamtamang apoy. Haluin ito paminsan-minsan para hindi magdikit-dikit.
- Pagkatapos ng 15 minuto, maglagay ng malamig na tubig sa kaldero para maluto ang gitnang bahagi ng mga sago. I-drain ang sago at ibabad sa malamig na tubig bago gamitin.
- Ihanda ang saging at kamote. Balatan at hiwain ito sa serving pieces.
- Magpakulo ng tubig sa isang kawali. Ilagay ang asukal na pula at haluin ito hanggang matunaw. Kung ang ginamit mo ay hilaw na saging, ilagay ang saging sa kawali at hayaan itong maluto ng 5 hanggang 8 minuto bago idagdag ang kamote. Kung ang ginamit mo ay hinog na saging, sabay na ilagay ang saging at kamote sa kawali. Takpan ang kawali at hayaan itong maluto hanggang maging malambot ang kamote.
- Ilagay ang sago, konting asin at vanilla extract. Haluin ito ng mabuti. Hayaan itong maluto hanggang lumapot ang sauce.
- Ilipat ang minatamis na saging at kamote sa isang serving plate. Pwede mo na itong kainin o gawing toppings ng shaved yelo with gatas. Enjoy!