Make your own sweet and sour fish at the comfort of your homes! Sweet and sour fish is made up of soft pieces of fish fillets coated with the famous glossy orange sauce flavored with ginger, pineapple juice, vinegar and ketchup. Best served with a lot of hot steaming rice!
Suggested Recipe for you
SWEET AND SOUR HISTORY
The sweet and sour sauce has been one of our favorite sauces. This sauce is so flexible and can be used to coat not just fish, but also chicken and pork. But did you know that the original sweet and sour sauce was a bit different with the one we have now?
It was known that this sauce originated in China–which is why you usually see them in Chinese restaurant menus. The original sweet and sour sauce were actually just made with rice vinegar and sugar and was used as a condiment or dipping sauce, instead of a coating sauce. Aside from this, the color of this sauce was yellow, instead of orange.
This rice vinegar and sugar sauce evolved through the years and sour fruits such as pineapples and pears were added. Soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce were also added throughout its development. The sweet and sour sauce of today were much fresher in taste, with a predominating pineapple flavor.
SWEET AND SOUR FISH FILLET
To be honest, my first experience with the sweet and sour fish fillet was from one of the top fastfood chains in the our country. It is when I’m an adult when I actually learned how to make it at home.
Whenever I go to birthday celebrations which uses food catering services, I immediately know that there’s gonna be sweet and sour fish fillet. (And yep, they have it!) Since then, I thought that making sweet and sour fish fillets require intense kitchen skills and that they could only make it in bulk. Looking for recipes online, the sauce was really easy to make. It’s only the fish fillet which is a bit pricey. Before making this recipe, I have tried making the sweet and sour sauce with tilapia. But since I got a giant fillet of cream dory on sale, I made a sweet and sour recipe which feels like it came from a 5-star Chinese restaurant.
If you wanna know a quick and simple way of how to make sweet and sour fish fillet, give this recipe a try!
HOW TO MAKE SWEET AND SOUR FISH FILLET
Sweet and sour fish is actually easier than you imagine. In this recipe, I used a large piece of cream dory which I got on sale. Cream dory is actually a bit pricey. If you have other white-fleshed fish like tilapia. I cut the cream dory in serving sizes, similar to how Chowking serves it [Not sponsored].
We need to coat and fry the fish first before making the sauce so they will not break apart during the whole cooking process. A simple flour + cornstarch and beaten eggs coating will do. Fish cooks quick, deep fry the coated fish fillets just until the crust becomes golden brown. Just like the drill will all fried foods, transfer them to a strainer or paper towel to drain excess oil.
Now, we are going to make the sweet and sour sauce. The sauce will define the whole dish so I recommend you to do a taste test once in a while just to keep the flavors balance. Start by sauteing the aromatics, bell peppers (use both red and green) and pineapple tidbits. Add the rest of the ingredients one by one and stir until you form a nice and glossy orange sauce. Combine the fried fish and the sauce. The sweet and sour fish fillets are basically done. Serve it with a lot of hot steaming rice. Enjoy!
Sweet and Sour Fish FilletCourse: Fish Recipes
2 pieces fish fillet (sliced into serving pieces)
1 onion (chopped)
1 clove of garlic (sliced)
1 thumb-sized ginger (thinly sliced)
2 pieces bell pepper (sliced)
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon vinegar
3 tablespoons cornstarch (made into slurry)
1 egg (beaten)
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
sugar to taste
pepper to taste
salt to taste
1/2 cup water
- Slice the fish into serving pieces and then transfer to a bowl. Sprinkle some salt and pepper. Mix well. Add the cornstarch and the flour. Mix well. Lastly, add the beaten egg and the mix well.
- Heat some oil for frying. Place the fish pieces one at a time. Do not overcrowd the pan. Fry the fish pieces until golden brown. Flip to cook the other side. Transfer them to a strainer or paper towel to drain excess oil. Set aside.
- Heat some oil in another pan. Add the onions, ginger, garlic, bell peppers and pineapple tidbits. Stir-fry them for a few minutes and then add the pineapple juice, ketchup and sugar. Pour some water then the vinegar and the slurry. Let it simmer until the sauce thickens to your desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
- Turn the heat off and put the fried fish back to the pan. Toss gently until each piece is well coated with the sweet and sour sauce.
- Transfer the sweet and sour fish fillet to a serving plate. Serve with a lot of hot steaming rice. Enjoy!
Sweet and Sour Fish Fillet Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 2 piraso ng cream dory (hiniwa sa serving pieces)
- 1 sibuyas (hiniwa)
- 1 butil ng bawang (hiniwa)
- 1 thumb-sized luya (hiniwa ng maninipis)
- 2 piraso ng bell peppers (hiniwa)
- pineapple tidbits
- 1/4 tasa ng pineapple juice
- 1/4 tasa ng ketchup
- 1 kutsara ng suka
- 3 kutsara ng cornstarch (ginawang slurry)
- 1 itlog (binati)
- 3 kutsara ng harina
- 1/2 tasa ng tubig
- Hiwain ang cream dory sa serving pieces at ilipat sa isang bowl. Budburan ng asin at paminta at haluin. IIagay ang cornstarch at ang harina. Haluin ng mabuti. Ilagay ang binating itlog at haluin ng mabuti.
- Magpainit ng mantikang pangprito. Ilagay isa isa ang mga isda. Iprito ang mga ito hanggang maging golden brown. Baliktarin para maluto ang kabilang side. Ilipat ang mga naprito na sa isang strainer o paper towel para tumulo ang sobrang mantika. Isantabi.
- Magpainit ng mantika sa isa pang kawali. Ilagay ang sibuyas, luya, bawang, bell peppers at ang pineapple tidbits. I-stir fry ang mga ito ng ilang minuto saka ilagay ang pineapple juice, ketchup at asukal. Huling ilagay ang tubig, suka at ang slurry. Hayaan itong maluto hanggang lumapot ang sauce. Budburan ng asin at paminta.
- Patayin ang apoy at ibalik sa kawali ang mga isda. Haluin ng dahan-dahan para malagyan ng sweet and sour sauce.
- Ilipat ang sweet and sour fish fillet sa serving plate. Ihain kasama ang mainit na kanin. Enjoy!