Fruity graham float is a creamy layered frozen cake made with graham crackers, fruit cocktail, all pupose creame, condensed milk and evaporated milk. Sweetened whipped cream, soft graham crackers and fruit cocktail bitsare arranged in alternating layers and chilled in a freezer and served chilled.
THE FRUIT COCKTAIL STORY
Since fruit cocktail will be the highlighted ingredient in this dish, let us learn a little bit of its story.
Fruit cocktail is simply a mix of different fruits served together. Come to think of this: have you seen a fruit cocktail which is not in can? It’s very rare, right? Something about the canning process contributes to the origin of the fruit cocktail.
Fun Fact: Sugar is the main preservative used in a fruit cocktail. That is the main reason why fruits in fruit cocktail are super sweet.
Before fruit cocktail exists, there was only “fruit salad”– a combined fruit chops which usually served with a main meal. But why was it called “fruit cocktail” now? Booze such as sherry or sweet wine was added into the fruit mixture in the past.
The market revolutionized during the 20th century, introducing the canning process. Del Monte was the first company to use this storage technique with fruits. For Canned fruit cocktail was developed with the idea that the odds and ends of damaged fruits should not be wasted. (Good thing present day fruit cocktails were not made with damaged fruits!)
FRUITY GRAHAM FLOAT
Fruity graham float is another variant of our favorite graham cakes. Graham floats are one of the best desserts to experiment with. There are a lot of available ingredients which perfectly matches the cream and the graham crackers. When you want something fruity for a dessert, making a fruity graham float is a great choice. Using fresh fruits like mangoes are always the best but canned fruits will always come in handy.
Fruit salad is one of the topmost Filipino desserts. Fruity graham dessert is like fruit salad and graham cake fused together. So if you want to eat them at the same time, enjoy them together in a single bite with this fruity graham float recipe. Give this recipe a try and let me know how it went!
HOW TO MAKE FRUITY GRAHAM FLOAT
If you have prepared any type of graham cakes in the past, the following steps would be familiar to you.
The goal of the fruity graham float is to make alternating layers of cream and crackers, with tiny bits of fruit inside. Drain the syrup from the fruit cocktail. You can make fruit juice out of it or use it in other dishes. Just like making ice cream, whip your chilled cream until it doubles and becomes smooth and then add the chilled condensed milk to sweeten.
A hack not everyone knows in making graham floats is softening the graham crackers. Before you start layering, dip the graham crackers one by one quickly in liquid milk. When the float sets, your graham cracker will become as soft as a cake. Make alternating layers of the graham crackers, cream mixture, and fruit cocktail until you fill the pan. You can decorate the top however you like. I added more fruit cocktail and some crushed graham crackers (optional).
P.S. I recommend you to save the cherries and put them on top!
The last step to do is to wait for it to set by freezing it at least 2 hours. It can be stored in the ref for up to 1 week. Happy eating!
Fruity Graham FloatCourse: Desserts
1 can fruit cocktail
2 packs graham crackers
500mL all purpose cream or whipping cream (chilled overnight)
300mL condensed milk (chilled overnight)
1/2 cup evaporated milk (or fresh milk)
- Drain the fruit cocktail and set the fruits aside.
- Place your chilled all purpose cream in a bowl and whip using high speed until smooth and it doubled its volume. Add the chilled condensed milk and whip until well-combined.
- Pour the evaporated milk in a rectangular container. Dip the graham crackers in the milk for a few seconds to soften. Arrange the graham crackers in your square pan. Add a layer of the cream mixture. Spread evenly using a spatula. Add some fruits. Repeat these steps until you fill the pan.
- Add the rest of the fruits on the topmost layer. Sprinkle some crushed graham crackers (optional).
- Freeze the fruity graham float for at least 2 hours to set. Keep it in the chiller until ready to serve.
- Slice some fruity graham float and enjoy!
Fruity Graham Float Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 1 lata ng fruit cocktail
- 2 pakete ng graham crackers
- 500mL all purpose cream o whipping cream (pinalamig magdamag)
- 300mL condensed milk (pinalamig magdamag)
- 1/2 tasa ng evaporated milk (o fresh milk)
- Salain ang fruit cocktail at isantabi ang fruits.
- Ilagay ang pinalamig na all purpose cream sa isang bowl at i-whip gamit ang pinakamabilis na speed hanggang maging smooth at dumoble ang dami. Sunod na ilagay ang pinalamig na condensed milk at i-whip ulit para humalo ng mabuti.
- Ilagay ang evaporated milk sa rectangular na lalagyan. Isawsaw ang graham crackers ng mabilis sa gatas para lumambot. Iayos ang graham crackers sa iyong square pan. Maglagay ng isang layer ng cream mixture at ikalat ito ng maayos gamit ang spatula. Maglagay ng mga fruits galing sa fruit cocktail. Ulitin ang mga layers na ito hanggang mapuno mo na ang pan.
- Ilagay ang mga natitirang fruits sa ibabaw. Maglagay rin ng konting dinurog na graham crackers (optional lamang).
- Ilagay sa freezer ang fruity graham float ng 2 oras para tumigas ang cream. Ilagay muna ito sa chiller at kunin lamang kapag ise-serve na.
- Kumuha ng isang slice ng fruity graham flout at enjoy!