Make homemade crinkles and bring back your childhood with this chocolate crinkles recipe! Satisfy your chocolate cravings with this sweet, fudgy and moist crinkles! Truly a favorite!
Whenever we pass by some bakeries, chocolate crinkles are the first thing I look for. Different bakeries have different versions of crinkles but no chocolate crinkle had ever failed me. Crinkles have a special place in my heart. This pastry reminds me of my childhood playmates whom I mostly share my crinkles with. Whenever they visit me, my mom would always run to the bakery to buy some. It is not just my favorite, but it is everybody’s favorite.
The word crinkle means “small creases or wrinkles”. This may be the reason how crinkles got its name. Crinkles are like small cookies that had just cracked. You can easily see these cracks since they are coated with sweet powder. These are the best features of the crinkles which makes them easily recognizable when placed with a lot of other pasty products.
The classic crinkles we know are the chocolate ones. Now, crinkles are becoming more and more trendy. New flavors like red velvet, ube, and strawberry were the most famous. Most of them come in fancy boxes unlike the classic ones which are being sold at bakeries.
If you’re craving for crinkles and got nowhere to buy, Yummy Kitchen got your back! Here is a recipe of the classic chocolate crinkles which will bring you back to your childhood.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE CRINKLES
Making a chocolate crinkle is just like making a cookie. Start by making a batter. Simply mix all ingredients. It will be a little lumpy from the start but once you added the eggs, it will gradually become a smooth and thick batter. Chill the batter before making it into balls. This will help the ingredients in the batter set, resulting to a moist and chewy crinkles.
Make the crinkle batter into balls. Unlike cookies which are directly baked after this step, the crinkle balls are rolled in a powder mixture made with combining powdered sugar and cornstarch. After coating, it’s baking time! Make sure to allot spaces in between the crinkles balls. They will expand during the baking process. The actual making of the crinkles will only take you a few minutes. What made it seem long are the chilling and baking time.
In this blog, we will present two ways on how to bake the chocolate crinkles. If oven is available, bake the crinkles for 12 to 15 minutes using 170C. If oven is not available, don’t worry! You can use a deep pan at home to imitate the hot environment of the oven. Preheat your pan, place a wire rack and put your baking dish. In this way, the chocolate crinkles will be cooked indirectly with the heat from the stove. If the pan-baking is used, cook the crinkles for a much longer period, 15 to 18 minutes using very low heat.
I have tried using both methods in making some chocolate crinkles. When I used the pan-baking method, the powdered sugar melts during the cooking process. I coated them again with some powder before serving. What I also noticed is that crinkles made using the oven were much more fudgy, moist and chewy compared to the ones made using the pan-baking method.
Whatever method you use, both results taste the same. Both crinkles made me tear up a little as I reminisce my childhood. Make sure to enjoy the chocolate crinkles with some hot milk! Share some with your friends and family.
Chocolate CrinklesCourse: Uncategorized
1/2 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon coffee powder
1/4 cup oil or melted butter
2 medium eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
- For the crinkle mixture, add the cocoa powder, sugar, coffee powder and oil in a large bowl. Mix well until fully-combined. Add the eggs one by one and then mix until well-incorporated. Add the vanilla extract and mix until smooth. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well until fully-combined.
- Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and chill for 4 hours.
- In a shallow plate, add the powdered sugar and cornstarch. Mix well.
- Scoop around a tablespoon of the chilled crinkle mixture and roll into a ball using your hands. Coat the ball with the powdered sugar and cornstarch mixture. Transfer the coated crinkle balls in a baking tray lined with baking paper and then press a little. Repeat these steps with the rest of the ingredients. Place the crinkles 2 2 inches apart.
- If using an oven, bake the crinkles for 12 to 15 minutes using 170C.
- If using the pan-baking method, cover the pre-heated pan for 5 minutes using very low heat. Place a wire rack and put the baking tray with the crinkles. Cover the pan and let it cook for 15 to 18 minutes using very low heat.
- Do the toothpick test to check if it’s done.
- Serve the crinkles and enjoy it with some hot milk!
Watch how to Cook Chewy chocolate Crinkles
Chewy Chocolate Crinkles Recipe (Tagalog)
- 1/2 tasa ng cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 3/4 tasa ng asukal
- 1/2 kutsarita ng coffee powder
- 1/4 tasa ng mantika o tinunaw na butter
- 2 piraso ng itlog
- 1 kutsarita ng vanilla extract
- 1 tasa ng harina
- 1 kutsarita ng baking powder
- 1/4 kutsarita ng asin
- 1/2 tasa ng powdered sugar
- 1 kutsara ng cornstarch
- Para sa crinkle mixture, pagsamasamahin ang cocoa powder, asukal, coffee powder at mantika sa isang bowl at haluin ito ng mabuti. Ilagay ang mgs itlog at haluin. Ilagay ang vanilla extract at haluin hanggang maging smooth ang mixture. I-sift ang harina, baking powder at asin. Haluin ang lahat ng ingredients ng mabuti.
- Takpan ang bowl gamit ang plastic wrap at ilagay ito sa ref ng 4 oras.
- Sa isang mababang pinggan, ilagay ang powdered sugar at cornstarch. Haluin ng mabuti.
- Kumuha ng isang kutsarang crinkle mixture at iroll ito sa isang ball gamit ang mga kamay. Pagulungin sa ginawang powder mixture ang crinkle ball. Ilipat ang mga crinkle balls sa isang baking tray na may baking paper. I-press ito ng bahagya. Gawin ang mga steps na ito sa iba pang ingredients. Maglagay ng 2-inch space sa pagitan ng mga crinkle balls.
- Kung gagamit ng oven, i-bake ang crinkles ng 12 hanggang 15 minuto gamit ang 170C.
- Kung ang gagamitin ay ang pan-baking method, takpan ang pinainit na kaldero ng 5 minuto gamit ang pinakamababang apoy. Maglagay ng wire rack sa loob at doon ipatong ang baking tray na may crinkle balls. Takpan ang kaldero at hayaan itong maluto ng 15 hanggang 18 minuto gamit ang pinakamababang apoy.
- Gawin ang toothpick test para macheck kung luto na ang loob ng crinkles.
- Iserve ang crinkles at i-enjoy kasama ang mainit na gatas!