White buko salad is very popular and tasty salad in Philippines is made with shredded young coconut, clear gelatin powder, young coconut water, sugar, all purpose cream, condensed milk, nata de coco and kaong. This creamy white dessert gives off the pure love vibe, and is best served during the winter season, especially if your theme is White Christmas. The creamy coconut enhances this dessert more, making it one of the best desserts for the holidays.
WHAT IS A SALAD?
A salad is a general term for a dish which is a mixture of 3 or more ingredients which are combined harmoniously. It may be made using any type of food like fruits, vegetables, starches and even meat. Dressings or creams are usually drizzled and mixed with the salad to kind of glue them together into one whole dish.
The recipe featured in this article is a type of dessert salad.
WHITE BUKO SALAD
You might be familiar with the colorful fruit salad, but are you ready for the white salad? You might be surpirsed how creamy and dreamy the white buko salad can be.
Fruit salad is the most common dessert we serve especially during holidays. With this one incident where we forgot to get a can of fruit cocktail from the grocery, the white buko salad recipe was born.
I was conscious at first whether the people would like it since it was literally plain white in color. What if the kids won’t get interest to it? This worry changed when I started seeing people getting some white salad on their plates. One visitor also had second servings! It was a #kiligmoment for me!
For the white buko salad, you can literally add any ingredient you like as long as it is white. I used buko, kaong, nata de coco, macapuno and white jelly for this recipe. If you can think of more white ingredient, you can add it to make the overall flavor better too. I recommend to add some sago for a variety of shapes and textures. You can also add vanilla ice cream on top. Yum!
HOW TO COOK WHITE BUKO SALAD
Preparations for the white buko salad is as easy as any other desserts you know. You just simply need to prepare each vital ingredient and then combine them into a luscious and creamy dessert.
Desserts made mostly with jellies are the best and the easiest. For this recipe, start by making a jelly, but using buko juice instead of plain water (you can still use water). If you can find a jelly which is buko flavored, then it is much better. Let the jelly cool and become firm and then cut them to their desired shapes (half cubes, half strings).
The rest of the ingredients for the white buko salad are already ready to use. Simply combine the jellies we made in a large bowl together with the rest of the ingredients until they come together. Make sure to chill them before serving!
You can also transform this recipe into a sweet and refreshing drink by thinning the mixture out using a little extra water and then adding ice. Yum!
White Buko SaladCourse: Desserts
3 cups buko strings (young coconut)
1 sachet (25 g) gelatin powder (clear and unflavored)
5 cups buko juice (or water)
1/4 cup sugar (to taste)
1 cup nata de coco
1 cup kaong
2 cups all purpose cream (or 2 packs nestle cream)
1 cup condensed milk
- In a pan, add the buko juice (or plain water), sugar, and gelatin powder. Stir well until fully dissolved. Heat the mixture until boiling.
- Transfer the gelatin mixture to a tray or container. Let it cool and set.
- Once firm, cut half of the gelatin into cubes. Grate the other half into jelly strings using a coconut grater. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the shredded buko strings, kaong, nata de coco, jelly strings and jelly cubes. Stir gently until well combined. Add the all purpose cream, condensed milk. Mix until well-combined.
- Let it chill for at least 3 hours before serving.
- Transfer the white buko salad to a serving bowl and eat while chilled. Enjoy!
White Buko Salad Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 3 tasa ng kinayod na buko (young coconut)
- 1 sachet (25 g) gelatin powder (clear at unflavored)
- 5 tasa ng buko juice (o tubig)
- 1/4 tasa ng asukal
- 1 tasa ng nata de coco
- 1 tasa ng kaong
- 2 tasa ng all purpose cream (o 2 packs ng nestle cream)
- 1 tasa ng condensed milk
- Ilagay sa pot ang buko juice (o tubig), asukal at gelatin powder. Haluin ng mabuti hanggang matunaw ang powder. Pakuluan ang mixture.
- Kapag kumulo na, ilipat ang gelatin mixture sa tray o sa container. Hayaan itong lumamig at tumigas.
- Kapag matigas na, hatiin ang kalahati ng jelly sa cubes. I-grate naman ang kalahati sa strips gamit ang coconut grater. Isantabi.
- Sa isang malaking bowl, paghaluin ang buko strips, kaong, nata de coco, jelly strings at jelly cubes. Haluin ng mabuti. Sunod na ilagay ang all purpose cream at condensed milk. Haluin ng mabuti.
- Palamigin ang white buko salad ng 3 hours bago I-serve.
- Ilipat ang white buko salad sa serving bowl at kainin habang malamig. Enjoy!