Having some sad mood lately? Wanna have something sweet but not dessert-y sweet? Have some sweet and savoury sauce for your favorite chicken wings! If you wanna make papak, this is the best dish to treat yourself. One bite and your smile is already on its way! Yum!
SWEET BBQ CHICKEN WINGS
If you would travel the world, you’ll notice that the “barbecue” flavor differs from place to place. And to be honest, the barbecue flavor I love the most is the Pinoy version.
To be real, there are no rules on what a barbecue flavor must be. In other countries, their version of the barbecue sauce is made from a concoction of vinegar, tomato paste, mayonnaise, mustard and sugar. The Pinoy version of the barbecue is the one made with a mixture of soy sauce, banana ketchup and sugar (sometimes with oyster sauce). What I truly love about our version is it’s sweet, simple and walang kuskos-balungos.
The bbq sauce is actually called bbq sauce because it is the sauce basted on the barbecue when grilling. We love this sauce so much that we tried to incorparate it to non-grilled foods, like this chicken wings recipe.
I make sweet bbq chicken wings especially during my k-drama nights, especially the ones with a sad story. Sweet bbq wings helps me deal with the emotions so I wont be “too sad” HAHA. Ever since, sweet bbq chicken wings has been my stress reliever, most likely due to its sweetness which can uplift a sad mood.
If you are also experiencing some sad moods lately, I highly recommend you to make yourself some sweet bbq chicken wings! Instead on devouring on some chocolates, the sweetness from this chicken bbq wings is already a wholesome and fulfilling treat.
HOW TO MAKE SWEET BBQ CHICKEN WINGS
If you have tried other coated chicken wings recipe in the past, this recipe would surely be easy peasy for you.
This dish has two components– the chicken wings and the sweet bbq sauce.
Let’s start with the chicken wings! Our goal is to make the chicken as crispy as possible since it will be coated for later. If the wings you have bought are big, cut them into smaller servings by cutting from the joint to separate the wingette and the drummette. The next step would be seasoning them with the basics. Garlic and paprika powder are totally optional, but they add an extra flavor to the chicken.
The cornstarch, flour and water mixture would be the all in one batter for the chicken. You can actually add it later but I added them now so that they will stick better into the chicken.
The last preparation for the chicken is to deep fry them until golden brown and crispy. Make sure to transfer them to a strainer after to drip the excess oil for them to remain crispy.
The next component would be the sweet bbq sauce. All you needed to do is to put all the sauce ingredients in the pan, heat them and mix until they come together. Do a taste test and add more sugar if you like it sweeter. Toss the crispy chicken on the sauce until well coated. Or, you can serve them separately and have the sweet bbq sauce as a dip.
I love enjoying my wings with fries or with rice. Yum!
Sweet BBQ Chicken WingsCourse: Uncategorized
- For the chicken:
500 grams chicken wings
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon paprika powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
3 tablespoons cornstarch
¼ cup cold water
- For the sweet bbq sauce:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
¼ cup tomato ketchup
½ tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Prepare the chicken wings and cut them into wingette and drummette. Transfer them to a large bowl. Season with salt, pepper, paprika powder and garlic powder.
- Next, add the flour, cornstarch and ¼ cup of cold water. Allow them to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat a lot of oil in a pan and then deep fry the chicken wings using medium heat. Flip to cook the other side. Fry them until crispy and golden brown. Set aside.
- Melt some butter in a pan using low heat. Add the ketchup, soy sauce, oyster sauce and brown sugar. Stir gently until well combined. Let it cook until it becomes thick.
- Add the crispy chicken wings back to the pan. Toss them gently until well coated with the sweet bbq sauce.
- Serve the sweet bbq chicken wings immediately for the full crisp and savoury experience. Yum!
Sweet BBQ Chicken Wings Recipe (TAGALOG)
Para sa chicken wings:
- 500 grams pakpak ng manok
- ½ kutsarita ng asin
- ½ kutsarita ng paminta
- ½ kutsarita ng paprika powder
- 1 kutsarita ng garlic powder
- 2 kutsara ng harina
- 3 kutsara ng cornstarch
- ¼ tasa ng malamig na tubig
Para sa sweet bbq sauce:
- 2 kutsara ng unsalted butter
- ¼ tasa ng tomato ketchup
- ½ kutsara ng toyo
- 1 kutsara ng oyster sauce
- 1 kutsara ng asukal na pula
- Ihanda ang mga pakpak ng manok at hatiin ito sa joint. Hiwain ang wingette at drummette. Ilipat ang mga ito sa malaking bowl. Budburan ng asin, paminta, paprika powder a garlic powder.
- Sunod na ilagay ang harina, cornstarch at malamig na tubig. Imarinate ang mga ito ng 30 minutes.
- Magpainit ng maraming mantika at ideep fry ang mga chicken wings gamit ang katamtamang apoy. Baliktarin ang mga ito at iprito hanggang maging crispy at golden brown. Isantabi.
- Tunawin ang butter sa isa pang kawali gamit ang mahinang apoy. Ilagay ang ketchup, toyo, oyster sauce at asukal na pula. Haluin ng mabuti. Lutuin ito hanggang maging malapot.
- Ibalik ang mga manok sa kawali. Haluin ito para malagyan ng sweet barbecue sauce ang bawat piraso.
- Ihain ang sweet bbq chicken wings at kainin agad hanggat crispy. Enjoy!