Corn Jelly Dessert is is very sweet and scrumptious dessert popular in Philippines. It is made by mixing drained corn kernels, coloured jell7 made with gulamen powder and sugar, tapioca pearls, cheese cubes, sugar with all purpose milk, condensed milk. Enjoy your favourite creamy jelly salad with some yellow bits of love! The creamy corn combination will surely put you put of control! Serve this chilled after a heavy meal to cleanse your palate. Try one today!
WHAT IS A CORN?
Corn will be the defining ingredient for this jelly dessert. We all know corn as the yellow vegetable usually sold on a cob by kuya in a karton or the one sold in kernels with added cheese powder and butter. Which do you like better? (For me, it’s a tie!)
Corn. Corn. Corn. How well do we really know our beloved corn?
Economically speaking, corn is a vegetable. You always see them in the vegetable section in the groceries and in the market. But did you know that nutritionally speaking, corns are considered as carbohydrates? Yes! They can be a replacement for rice. Whether the yellow japanese corn or the white “Pinoy” corn, I bet both of them make you full after just eating one! That is one of the powers of the carbohydrates.
Did you know that the corn kernels are actually the seeds? Yup! We are eating seeds! But don’t worry, these seeds won’t grow in your tummy. Knowing these, people made experiments on the corn, which led to the discovery of popcorns! The popcorn is another chewy snack which best comes in different flavors.
Kuya in a karton selling freshly boiled corn are not always available. But luckily, canned corns have been available for quite a time now. These ready to use corn are very much convenient to use. These corns are preserved, so even with a long shelf life, the flavor and sweetness remains the same.
In this article, I am sharing you another way on how to enjoy canned corn kernels.
CORN JELLY DESSERT
If you’re an avid reader of the Yummy Kitchen blogs, you already have an idea on how much I love jelly salads. Creamy jelly salads are always the best palate cleansers especially after a heavy oily meal. I have been putting different twists with my jelly salad ever since — adding some buko, buko and pandan, turning into cathedral cakes, milo jelly cakes, adding fruits like mangoes, and many many more.
Corn kernels is a must have in my fruit salad. It is sweet, and yellow in color and best suits a creamy dessert. Actually, I was eating mais con yielo when I decided to make some corn jelly dessert. For this dessert, the corn deserves to have the spotlight on it.
I have a lot more ideas for creamy jelly salads which I will be sharing with you in the future. With too many ideas, I might just have a base creamy jelly salad and put a lot of add ons on its side! Yum!
HOW TO COOK CORN JELLY DESSERT
Corn jelly salad might be one of the best creamy salads I have tasted. The corn really adds unique flavor and sweetness to the dish. The color also excites my niece since she loves yellow! (I hope your kids love yellow too!)
In making jelly based desserts, the jellies are of course prepared first since they will take some time to become firm. Grab your jellies and cook them according to packaging. In this recipe, I opt to buy an unflavored white one so that I’ll just cook the jelly once and then just color them at the end. #Efficient But if you have no food coloring at home, you can just buy a colored jelly powder and prepare them separately.
In this recipe, I chose the colors red and green since I will be preparing this dessert for the Christmas season. Hohoho! You can use any colors you like. The more colors, the better! (Oh, I think I’ll try some rainbow colored jellies soon!)
Slice the colored jellies into cubes and then put them in a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients (I used cheese cubes, tapioca pearls and corn kernels in this recipe) and then combine them with the milk until all ingredients come together.
Chill this creamy and wonderful dessert first before serving. Or if you want it now, you can add some ice to it to easily chill it up. Enjoy!
Corn Jelly DessertCourse: Uncategorized
1 can (425 g) whole corn kernels
1 sachet (25 g) unflavored gulaman powder
5 cups of water
¾ cup sugar
2 cups all purpose cream
1 can (300 ml) condensed milk
1 ½ cup cooked tapioca pearls
½ cup cheese cubes (optional)
Red and green food colors
- Pour the water in a pot. Add the sugar and the white unflavored gulaman powder. Stir until completely dissolved.
- Heat the mixture until boiling. Stir gently.
- Transfer the jelly mixture to a tray or container. Divide into two parts. Add a few drops of green and red food coloring to each container. Mix. (You can also use colored jelly powder.) Let them cool and become firm.
- Once the colored jellies are firm, cut them into cubes. Then, transfer all the jellies to a large bowl.
- Next, add the drained corn kernels, cooked tapioca pearls and cheese cubes. Toss them up gently until well mixed.
- Pour the all purpose cream and condensed milk. Mix gently until well combined.
- Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and then chill for 4 hours before serving.
- Serve the corn jelly dessert chilled. Have fun!
Corn Jelly Dessert Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 1 lata (425 g) ng whole corn kernels
- 1 sachet (25 g) ng unflavored gulaman powder
- 5 tasa ng tubig
- ¾ tasa ng asukal
- 2 tasa ng all purpose cream
- 1 lata (300 ml) ng condensed milk
- 1 ½ tasa ng sago (luto)
- ½ tasa ng cheese cubes (optional)
- red at green food colors
- Sa isang pot, ilagay ang tubig, asukal at ang white jelly powder. Haluin ito hanggang matunaw.
- Pakuluan ang mixture. Haluin ng dahan dahan.
- Ilipat ang jelly mixture sa tray o lalagyan. Hatiin ito sa dalawa. Maglagay ng konting patak ng green at red food coloring sa bawat container. Haluin. (Pwede ring gumamit nalang ng may kulay na jelly powder). Palamigin ang mga ito hanggang tumigas.
- Kapag matigas na, hatiin ang mga ito sa cubes. Ilipat ang mga ito sa malaking bowl pagkatapos.
- Sunod na ilagay ang corn kernels, sago at cheese cubes (optional). Haluin ang mga ito ng dahan dahan.
- Ilagay ang all purpose cream at condensed milk. Haluin ng mabuti.
- Balutan ng plastic wrap ang bowl at palamigin ng 4 hours.
- Ihain ang malamig at creamy corn jelly dessert. Enjoy!