Salted Egg Shrimp is a Filipino dish made with shrimp, salt, pepper, corn starch, butter, garlic, sili, sugar, egg yolks and garnished with green onions. Try this savoury delectable Salted Egg Shrimp Recipe , perfect for a quick dinner, or a nice Sunday lunch.
Where was Salted Egg from?
Salted egg yolks are known to be a Chinese delicacy. Popularly seen at festivals or celebrations. The golden yolk represents the moon, which makes it a main ingredient in the Mid-Autumn Moon festival, commonly seen in the center of moon cakes. The salted egg yolk has been used in many different cuisines and has been a returning fad for many years especially in the Asian food scene.
How easy is it to make?
Salted egg shrimp starts with a coating of cornstarch; salt and pepper over the shrimp, fried till each side of the shrimp has changed in color, taken out to cool, using the same pan to make a creamy sweet and spicy sauce using butter, garlic, sugar and sili, mixing till this turns into a foamy yolky goodness, add the shrimps back and toss till these are fully covered with the sweet and spicy sauce that settles into a golden crust over the shrimps. Top with some green onions or sili for more color before serving, Impress you family and friends with this foolproof quick and easy seafood treat!
Salted Egg ShrimpCourse: Seafood
500G shrimp (peeled & deveined)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup cornstarch
3-4 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon salted butter
3 cloves garlic (minced)
1/2 to 1 teaspoon sili
1 teaspoon brown sugar
4 pieces salted egg yolks
green onions for garnish
- Mix together cornstarch, salt, and pepper. Pour this over the shrimp. Mix till these are all fully coated.
- In a pan, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil, fry the shrimps only till the sides have changed in color. Do not cook fully. Take these out of the pan.
- In the same pan, add 1 to 2 tablespoons oil, melt 1 tablespoon butter, add 3 cloves minced garlic, sili, and brown sugar. Mix well and add egg yolks, mixing till it turns foamy.
- Drop in the shrimps and toss till these are fully coated. These are ready when there are almost no liquids left. The shrimps will be fully cooked by this time.
- Serve and top with green onions for garnish.
- The shrimp ‘sauce’ will dry as it cools down.
- Lessen the oil or remove the butter to have a crispier shrimp.
- Add more sili for a spicier take.
Salted Egg Shrimp Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 500G ng hipon (natangalan ng balat at inalisan ng ugat)
- 1 kutsaritang asin
- 1 kutsaritang paminta
- ½ tasa gawgaw
- 3-4 kutsarang mantika
- 1 kutsarang mantikilya
- 3 butil ng bawang (tinadtad)
- ½ to 1 kutsaritang sili
- 1 kutsaritang kulay-kepe na asukal
- 4 piraso na dilaw ng maalat na itlog
- green onions pang dekorasyon
- Haluin ang gawgaw, asin at paminta. Ilagay to sa mga hipon at haluin
hangang ito’y natakpan ng mabuti.
- Sa kawali, lagyan ng 1 o 2 kutsarang mantika, iprito ang mga hipon hangang
magiba ang kulay niya sa gilid. Hindi kailangan lutong luto sa yugto na ito.
Tanggalin sa kawali.
- Sa parehas na kawali, lagyan muli ng 1 o 2 kutsarangmantika, tunawin ang 1
kutsarang mantikilya, dagdagan ng 3 butin nag tinadtad na bawang, sili, at
kulay kepe na asukal. Haluin at isama ang dilaw ng maalat ng itlog, haluin
hanggang maging mabula.
- Ilagay ang mga hipon at hauin ito hangang matakpan ng mga sauce, luto na
ito kung wala na masyadong sauce na natitira. Lutong luto na din ang mga
hipon sa oras na to.
- Ihanda at dekorasyonan ng green onions.