Sweet Spicy Eggplant is a Filipino eggplant dish made with eggplant, onion, garlic, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, banana ketchup, pepper, Siling labuyo and oil for frying. This simple and delicious fried eggplant pieces coated with sweet and oozing spicy sauce that you can’t resist! You can serve it with rice or use as a side dish.
SWEET AND SPICY EGGPLANT
Sweet and spicy is one of the most famous chicken and fish flavors. But what would it taste like if we use eggplant instead of those? The sweet and spicy sauce is generally one of the crowd’s favorite which you can use to almost any food you can imagine. Sweet and spicy eggplant is a Chinese-inspired dish made with eggplant and a special sauce. The eggplant is a bit bland, which makes it a good partner for sauces. You can use this dish to your kids especially if they do not eat vegetables too much. They will surely love this! This dish is relatively healthier as it uses eggplant with a lower calorie content instead of the meat sources. You can add this to your low-carb meal plans. Try this sweet and spicy eggplant recipe to find out!
HOW TO COOK SWEET AND SPICY EGGPLANT
Cooking this sweet and spicy dish is as simple as it looks like. The two main parts of this recipe which we will be working out is the eggplant and the sauce. Start with preparing the eggplant. You can use either the white or violet variant of the eggplant but the violet one was recommended. Cut the stalks and remove wilted parts of the eggplant. Then, cut it into small pieces, enough for one bite. After you cut, soak them directly in water while you cut the other pieces to prevent it from darkening. The next step is to fry the eggplant until both sides are cooked. Do not overcook the eggplant since it will be super soft and soggy. Drain the excess oil using a strainer.
For the sauce, you are basically gonna saute the onion and garlic and then add the remaining ingredients until all the flavors mix together. This gets more excited when you add the siling labuyo. Always taste the sauce so you can adjust the spicyness level. Add the fried eggplant into the pan and coat them with the sauce. Serve this dish with some hot rice and your kids would definitely love it!
Sweet Spicy EggplantCourse: Vegetable Recipes
½ kilo eggplant
1 medium-sized onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 ½ tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoon banana ketchup
¼ teaspoon black pepper
Oil for frying
- Prepare the eggplant by removing the stalk and slice it midway. Cut into bite-size serving pieces. Soak the eggplant pieces in water to prevent darkening. Repeat these steps with the rest of the eggplant.
- Shallow-fry the eggplant pieces with the skin facing down. When the skin is starting to brown, flip to cook the other side. Transfer the eggplant pieces to a strainer or paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Reduce the oil from the pan. Saute the onion and garlic for a few minutes until light brown and fragrant. Add the soy sauce, oyster sauce, brown sugar, banana ketchup and black pepper. Stir the ingredients until well-combined. Cook for a few minutes until the sauce is reduced and thicker.
- Add the siling labuyo. The amount depends on your preferred spicyness level. Stir to infuse the spicy flavor into the sauce.
- Add the fried eggplant pieces into the pan. Stir until all the eggplant pieces are well-coated with the sauce.
- Transfer the sweet and spicy eggplant into a serving dish. Serve with hot rice. Enjoy!
Sweet and Spicy Eggplant Recipe (TAGALOG)
- ½ kilo talong (violet)
- 1 sibuyas, hiniwa
- 3 butil ng bawang, hiniwa
- 1 kutsarang toyo
- 1 kutsarang oyster sauce
- 1 ½ kutsarang asukal na pula
- 2 kutsarang banana ketchup
- ¼ kutsaritang durog na paminta
- Siling labuyo
- Alisin ang tangkay ng talong at hiwain ito sa maliliit na piraso. Ibabad ang mga ito sa tubig para hindi mangitim. Gawin ang mga ito sa lahat ng talong.
- Iprito ang mga piraso ng talong. Ang balat ng talong ang nakalapat sa kawali. Kapag nagbbrown na ang balat, baliktarin ang mga talong para maluto ang kabilang side nito. Ilipat ang mga talong sa isang strainer o paper towel para tumulo ang sobrang mantika.
- Bawasan ang mantika sa kawali. Igisa ang sibuyas at bawang hanggang maging golden brown. Ilagay ang toyo, oyster sauce, asukal na pula, banana ketchup at paminta. Haluin ang mga sangkap ng mabuti. Lutuin ang sauce ng ilang minuto hanggang maging malapot.
- Ilagay ang hiniwang siling labuyo. Ang dami ng sili ay depende sa kung gaano kaanghang ang gusto mo. Haluin para umanghang ang sauce.
- Ilagay ang mga pinritong talong sa kawali. Haluin hanggang mabalutan ng sauce ang bawat piraso ng talong.
- Ilagay ang sweet and spicy eggplant sa isang pinggan at samahan ng mainit na kanin. Enjoy!