This guilt-free sizzling tofu is a plant-based version of your favorite pork sisig which is healthier and chunkier. Say bye to meat and more to veggies! Enjoy sisig without any worry! Best eaten as a snack or as a pulutan. Make some today!
WHAT IS A TOFU?
My love for soy beans started during the days I bought taho from my favorite manong. My mom really liked showing me the before and after of food products which made me surprised on how small white beans can become the jelly-like taho I am eating.I am in complete shock knowing that the soy sauce I am using as a condiment is also made from soy beans!
With all the food products you can make using soy beans, the best form for me is the tofu. Tofu is a white sponge-like food which is made by pressing the curds and pressing them into a block. It is rich in protein and has a subtle nutty flavor. Since it was slightly bland, tofu is cooked with flavorful sauces or dipped in special soy sauce and vinegar dip, making it more fun to eat.
Aside from being enjoyed on its own, tofu is also used as a volume enhancer or “pamparami” in meat dishes. But now, tofu is celebrated in a lot of dishes and is considered a good plant-based alternative to meat. More protein, more nutritious!
SIZZLING TOFU RECIPE
As a health conscious person, I keep myself updated with the latest trends on food substitution. My favorite tofu ranks top on the most used meat substitution. I got excited on learning new dishes I can make with tofu. I started with the most basic dishes like adobo and fried tofu.
It was my mom’s birthday and she love’s pork sisig so much. To keep her heart healthy, we started to eat less oily foods just as to prevent cardiovascular diseases. So instead of serving sizzling pork sisig, why not make use of the healthy tofu, right?
Making the tofu sisig is easy for me as there have been many recipes online. The mayonnaise and soy sauce combination makes the tofu sisig flavorful and more fun than pork sisig. And it’s cholesterol-free!
HOW TO MAKE SIZZLING TOFU
Making sizzling tofu is 100x easier than regular sizzling plates. (It’s true!)
Cut the tofu into cubes and pat them dry using paper towel to prevent oil splashing. Make sure that the oil is hot before frying them unless they would stick in the pan. Do not overfry to prevent them from getting too hard and dry. Now, we’ll give the tofu a nice sauce for flavor.
Saute the aromatics and the tofu. Add the rest of the ingredients until it turned to a fine sauce. Gently toss the pan until every tofu is coated. Lastly, mix the butter (without heat) and let it melt. Add the mayo and toss.
Heat the sizzling plate and transfer your tofu sisig. Grab your beer and it’s inuman time!
Sizzling TofuCourse: Filipino Recipes, Vegetable Recipes
500 grams tofu (cut into cubes)
1 medium onion (minced)
3 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 green bell pepper (minced)
1 red bell pepper (minced)
2 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons liquid seasoning
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 to 2 pieces green chilies
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoon butter (or margarine)
oil for frying
- Prepare the tofu and then cut them into cubes.
- Heat some oil in a pan. Fry the tofu cubes until light brown and crispy. Transfer them to a strainer or paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Heat some oil in another pan. Saute the onions, garlic, green and red bell peppers, green chilies.
- Add the fried tofu back to the pan and saute for a few minutes. Add the soy sauce, liquid seasoning and oyster sauce. Toss gently for a few minutes until each tofu is coated with the sauce.
- Turn the heat off. Add the butter and mix until the butter has melted. Add the mayonnaise and mix until each tofu is well-coated. Set aside.
- Heat a sizzling plate. Scoop some tofu into the sizzling plate. Garnish with more chopped red and green chilies.
- Serve the tofu while sizzling. Pair with some rice or eat as a pulutan. Enjoy!
Sizzling Tofu Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 500 grams tokwa (hatiin ng cubes)
- 1 sibuyas (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 3 butil ng bawang (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 1 green bell pepper (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 1 red bell pepper (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 2 kutsara ng toyo
- 2 kutsara ng liquid seasoning
- 1 kutsara ng oyster sauce
- 1 – 2 siling pansigang
- 1/2 tasa ng mayonnaise
- 2 kutsara ng butter (o margarine)
- mantika (pangprito)
- PAANO LUTUIN:
- Ihanda ang tofu at hiwain sa cubes.
- Magpainit ng mantika. Iprito ang mga tokwa hanggang maging light brown at crispy. Ilipat ang mga ito sa strainer o paper towel para tumulo ang sobrang mantika.
- Magpainit ng mantika sa isa pang kawali. Igisa ang sibuyas, bawang, green at red bell peppers at siling pansigang.
- Ilagay ang mga pinritong tokwa sa kawali at igisa. Sunod na ilagay ang toyo, liquid seasoning at oyster sauce. Haluin ng dahan-dahan hanggang malagyan ng sauce ang tofu.
- Patayin ang apoy. Ilagay ang butter at haluin hanggang matunaw. Ilagay ang mayonnaise at haluin ng mabuti. Isantabi.
- Painitin ang sizzling plate at ilagay ang tofu sisig. Budburan ng hiniwang sili sa ibabaw.
- Ihain ang sizzling tofu habang mainit pa. Samahan ng kanin o kainin bilang pulutan. Enjoy!