Don’t let your peanuts bore the sweet tooth out of you and turn them into a sweet and crunchy peanut roll! These small rolls of love are filled with a mix of crushed peanuts and brown sugar goodness! Also called turrones de mani, this treat is truly addicting!
Good snacks really do help you survive the day. The utik-utik is the perfect haven for all merienda lovers. It is where you can find most of the snacks you never thought existed. Most of the utik-utik snacks are called “kutkutin” or bite-sized finger food snacks who usually come in large jars and tubs.
One of my favorite utik-utik snack is the peanut rolls. Some people call these turrones de mani or simply turrones. This name is justified with the turon-like feature of the peanut rolls in a small package. And instead of the classic banana turon, the peanut rolls are filled with sweet and crunchy peanut filling which closely resembles panucha or peanut brittle.
Since the beginning of quarantine, my favorite utik-utik shop closes and I truly miss my utik-utik snacks. There are some shops which offers it online but my intense peanut cravings simply cannot wait for it. I started making some for my own. My niece loved it too! Which is why I make large batches now. Very merienda-ready! If you wanna learn how to make peanut rolls, read and follow the quick and super easy recipe below.
Other version of the turrones de mani is the turrones de casoy which uses cashew nuts instead of regular nuts. You can try that too!
HOW TO MAKE PEANUT ROLLS
If you see a lumpia wrapper on an ingredients list, you may probably know how what you’re about to make. Unlike the other lumpia fillings which includes a long list of ingredients, this sweet rolls are composed of just two—the peanuts and brown sugar.
To make the filling, simply crush your roasted peanuts using a mortar and pestle. A blender or food processor will make the job easier and faster. Just remember to pulse them very shortly since what we want to achieve are nut crumbs. Not unless you wanna make some peanut butter! Combine your nut crumbs with brown sugar and mix it well. That’s it! The simple filling is done. Now, if you’re thinking on why is the filling a kind of dry, it is good to know that the brown sugar will melt later and will coat the peanuts. The peanut rolls will still end up crunchy since the brown sugar will harden as it cools down.
It’s wrapping time! Since I like to really a lot of crunch from the sweet peanut filling inside, I cut my lumpia wrapper into halves. And just like making other lumpia, roll and wrap the peanut rolls. Just give it an extra tight roll to make the filling very siksik.
The last thing to do is to fry them until golden brown. Serve your peanut rolls with some caramel sauce and enjoy! As one with a sweet tooth, I really like it dipped in some caramel sauce. Yummy! Just a quick note for diabetics. This treat is super sweet so please enjoy the peanut rolls calmly.
Peanut RollsCourse: Snacks
2 cups roasted peanuts
¾ cup brown sugar
oil (for frying)
caramel dipping sauce (optional)
- Grind the roasted peanuts into crumbs. Transfer them into a bowl.
- Add the brown sugar and mix well.
- Cut a lumpia wrapper in half (optional). Scoop some sugar and peanut mixture into the wrapper. Roll and wrap tightly. Fold the sides inward to secure the filling. Brush the ends with water to seal. Repeat these steps with the rest of the ingredients.
- Fry the peanut rolls until golden brown. Transfer them to a strainer or paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Serve the peanut rolls with the caramel dipping sauce and enjoy!
Peanut Rolls Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 2 tasa ng tustadong mani
- ¾ tasa ng asukal na pula
- lumpia wrappers
- mantika (pag-prito)
- caramel dipping sauce (optional)
- Durugin ang tustadong mani sa maliliit na crumbs at ilipat sa isang bowl.
- Ilagay ang asukal na pula at haluin ng mabuti.
- Hatiin ang lumpia wrapper sa dalawa (optional). Kumuha ng mixture at ilagay sa wrapper. I-roll ito ng mahigpit. I-fold paloob ang mga gilid para ma-secure ang filling. I-brush ng tubig ang dulo para ma-seal ang wrapper. Gawin ang mga steps na ito sa iba pang ingredients.
- Iprito ang peanut rolls hanggang maging golden brown. Ilipat ang mga ito sa isang strainer o paper towel para tumulo ang sobrang mantika.
- Iserve ang peanut rolls kasama ang caramel dipping sauce. Enjoy!