Ginataang manok with papaya is made by frying chicken with ginger, onion, garlic, pepper and fish sauce and simmering this fried chicken with papaya slices in a sauce made by coconut milk, green chilies and coconut cream. Ginataang manok or chicken cooked in coconut milk is a delicacy in festivals and family gathering.
GINATAANG MANOK WITH PAPAYA
Ginataang Manok with Papaya is one of my favourite among creamy dishes. The term “ginataan” is derived from the word “gata” which is the tagalog translation for coconut milk—the magic ingredient which makes ginataan dishes very creamy and wonderful! The creaminess of the gata cannot be compared with any other culinary milk. It has this thick consistency and refreshing flavour. It is a very versatile ingredient which can be used in stews, curries and even on desserts! This blog will show you how gata can create magic with chicken and unripe papaya.
HOW TO COOK GINATAANG MANOK WITH PAPAYA
Cooking this ginataang manok with papaya is very easy and will only take you a few minutes to prepare. Ginataang manok with papaya ingredients includes coconut milk or coconut cream. To start, saute the aromatics and the chicken. Season with fish sauce and pepper and cook until the chicken is light brown. Next, add the thin coconut milk and let the chicken boil on it. The thin coconut milk is the liquid from the second squeeze of the coconut milk. Let it simmer and then add the papaya slices. The papaya is cooked once it softens. Add the thick coconut milk. This is the creamier liquid from the first squeeze which is called the “kakang gata”. Do a taste test and season it with salt.
If you have a lesser time for preparation, you can actually opt to use store-bought ginataan mix. It is a powdered form of the gata which is also pre-seasoned for convenience. It is still recommended to use fresh ingredients for a healthier dish, if possible. Add the sling pang-sigang or the long green chilli. You do not need to chop it, just put it on the pan whole. Let the dish simmer for a few minutes until all the flavours come together. Transfer in a serving dish and serve with hot steaming rice. Enjoy! Ginataang manok with papaya calories are the unit of energy that we get from the food. Its very much needed for our good health.
Ginataang Manok with PapayaCourse: Chicken Recipes
1 kilo chicken (cut into serving pieces)
½ kilo green papaya (sliced into long thick strips)
2 cups thin coconut milk
1 cup thick coconut milk
1 medium-sized onion (chopped)
4 cloves of garlic (minced)
2 thumb-sized ginger (chopped)
½ teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons fish sauce
3 to 5 long green chilies
Salt to taste
Oil for sauteing
- Heat some oil in a wok. Add the ginger, onions and garlic and saute until light brown. Add the chicken pieces. Saute the chicken until the flesh turns white. Season with fish sauce and black pepper. Saute until the fish smell from the fish sauce disappears and the chicken flesh turns light brown.
- Add the thin coconut milk and let the chicken pieces submerge on it. Simmer for 10 minutes under medium heat.
- Add the green papaya slices and stir. Continue simmering for another 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low heat and add the thick coconut milk. Season with salt.
- Add the long green chilies and stir. Continue cooking around 10 minutes under low heat until the sauce becomes thicker.
- Transfer the ginataang manok with papaya to a serving dish and serve with hot rice. Enjoy!
Ginataang Manok with Papaya Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 1 kilo manok (hiniwa)
- ½ kilo hilaw na papaya (hiniwa ng malalaki)
- 2 tasang pangalawang piga ng gata
- 1 tasang kakang gata
- 1 sibuyas (hiniwa)
- 4 butil ng bawang (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 2 luya (hiniwa)
- ½ kutsaritang paminta
- 2 kutsarang patis
- 3-5 piraso ng siling pang sigang
- Magpainit ng kawali at lagyan ito ng mantika. Igisa ang luya, sibuyas at bawang hanggang maging golden brown. Ilagay ang mga piraso ng manok at igisa hanggang maging kulay puti ang laman nito. Lagyan ng patis at paminta. Igisa hanggang sa mawala ang malansang amoy at magkulay light brown ang mga piraso ng manok.
- Ilagay ang pangalawang piga ng gata. Hayaan itong kumulo kasama ang mga piraso ng manok sa loob ng 10 minuto gamit ang katamtamang apoy.
- Ihalo ang mga hiniwang hilaw na papaya. Hayaan itong maluto ng 10 minuto.
- Babaan ang apoy at ilagay ang kakang gata. Budburan ito ng asin at haluin.
- Ilagay ang mga siling pang sigang. Hayaan itong maluto ng 10 minuto hanggang lumapot ang sabaw.
- Ilipat ang ginataang manok na may papaya sa isang lalagyan. Kainin ito kasama ng mainit ng kanin. Enjoy!