Chicken coke adobo is an upated version of popular Filipino chicken adobo, where coke is added to it along with vinegar, soy sauce, pepper, marble potatoes, garlic, onion, pepper corn and bayleaves while cooking. It is best eaten during lunch or dinner with a lot of hot steaming rice.
CHICKEN COKE ADOBO
Who here likes chicken adobo with nagmamantikang sauce? If we are gonna make a fan base for chicken adobo lovers, I would to volunteer as the president.
Chicken adobo might be considered the national dish of the Philippines. It is one of the widely known dishes since it involves very simple ingredients and very easy preparation. This dish is called adobo since it uses the inadobo style of cooking wherein meat is cooked in a mixture of vinegar and soy sauce until soft and tender. For those who like their adobo with a hint of sweetness, some flavor ehancers which are commonly used in adobo are pineapple juice, pineapple tidbits and sugar. Adobo made with these ingredients all taste good! But haven’t you thought of using coke, yes, the softdrinks, to sweeten your adobo? Try this chicken coke adobo recipe and prepare to be amazed with the caramel sweetness brought by the cola in your adobo.
HOW TO COOK CHICKEN COKE ADOBO
Cooking chicken coke adobo share the similar steps on making the classic chicken adobo. The only difference is the sweetener used in this recipe will be the coke or the coca-cola. The cola has a distinct caramel sweetness which can give a unique layer of flavor for the chicken adobo. Who would have thought that cola goes well with chicken?
Prepare your chicken pieces. There are no rules in choosing a meat cut but the thigh and leg parts were the best to use in chicken adobo since they are much more tender and juicy compared to other parts. To ensure that our chicken would be flavorful, we are going to marinate it in a mixture of vinegar, soy sauce and cracked black pepper. This umami marinade will also be our sauce base for later. Marinate the meat for at least an hour or overnight for a more flavorful chicken. You can actually skip the marinating part if you are in a rush. Chicken easily absorbs flavors.
While waiting, prepare your potatoes by frying them until light brown and then set them aside. If you have cooked chicken adobo before, the following steps would be familiar to you. Sear the chicken and then set them aside. Searing will also add chicken flavor to the dish. Transfer the chicken from the pan and sauté the aromatics. Make sure that you crush the garlic for garlicky goodness! Return the seared chicken back to the pan and sauté with the aromatics. Add the sauce base, the reserved marinade. Just add more peppercorns and bay leaves for a more powerful flavor. Add some water and a 200-mL bottle of coke. The magic starts as the chicken adobo simmers. The sweetness from the cola will slowly sip in the chicken and will enhance the sauce. After simmering, add the fried potatoes. Coat them with the nice and sweet sauce and you’re basically done. Do a last set of simmering and you can now transfer the chicken coke adobo in a serving dish. Make sure to prepare a whole lot of rice! Enjoy!
Chicken Coke AdoboCourse: Chicken Recipes
1 kilo chicken (thigh and leg part)
½ cup vinegar
½ cup soy sauce
½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
marble potatoes (optional)
7 cloves of garlic, minced
1 medium-sized onion, chopped
1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
3 to 5 pieces dried bay leaves
- Prepare and wash the chicken pieces. Place the chicken pieces in a deep dish or bowl. Add the vinegar, soy sauce and cracked black pepper. Stir well to fully coat the chicken with the marinade. Marinate for at least an hour.
- Heat some oil in a pan. Pan-fry some marble potatoes for a few minutes until light brown. Set aside.
- Separate the chicken from the marinade. Reserve the marinade.
- In the same pan, sear the chicken using high heat. Flip to sear the other side. Transfer the seared chicken pieces to a container.
- In the same pan, sauté some garlic and onions until aromatic. Add the seared chicken back to the pan and then add the reserved marinade, some peppercorns and dried bay leaves. Cover the pan and let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Pour the coke into the chicken. Add some water. Simmer the chicken adobo for 20 minutes using low heat.
- Add the fried potato marbles and submerge them into the sauce.
- Simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes or until the sauce is reduced.
- Transfer to a serving plate and enjoy with hot rice!
Chicken Coke Adobo TAGALOG
- 1 kilo ng manok (hita)
- ½ tasa ng suka
- ½ tasa ng toyo
- ½ kutsaritang durog na paminta
- marble potatoes (optional)
- 7 butil ng bawang (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 1 sibuyas (hiniwa)
- 1 kutsaritang buong paminta
- 3 hanggang 5 piraso ng bay leaves
- 200mL coca-cola
- Linisin ang mga piraso ng chicken at ilagay ang mga ito sa isang malalim na bowl. Ilagay ang suka, toyo at paminta. Haluin ang mga ito ng mabuti hanggang malagyan ng marinade ang bawat piraso ng manok. I-marinate ito ng 1 oras.
- Magpainit ng mantika sa kawali. Iprito ang mga marble potatoes ng ilang minuto hanggang maging light brown. Ilipat ang mga ito sa lalagyan.
- Ihiwalay ang manok sa marinade. Isangtabi ang marinade.
- Sa parehas na kawali, i-sear ang manok gamit ang mataas na apoy. Baliktarin para maluto ang kabilang side. Ilipat ang mga ito sa lalagyan.
- Sa parehas na kawali, igisa ang bawang at sibuyas hanggang maging light brown. Ilagay ang seared chicken at ang isinangtabing marinade. Maglagay rin ng paminta at bay leaves. Takpan ang kawali at hayaan itong kumulo ng 5 minuto.
- Ilagay ang coke at tubig. Hayaan itong maluto ng 20 minuto gamit ang mababang apoy.
- Ilagay ang pinritong potato marbles at haluin ito hanggang malagyan ng sauce.
- Hayaan itong maluto ng 5 hanggang 10 minuto o hanggang maiga ang sauce.
- Ilipat ang Chicken Coke Adobo sa isang serving plate at ihain kasama ang mainit na kanin!