No time to fry your chicken? Fry it whole! The fried whole chicken is just as amazing as your regular fried chicken, but with less time and effort of course. The crispy and crunchy skin will make you want to eat the whole chicken yourself. Try and make one today!
WHOLE FRIED CHICKEN
Fried chicken is no doubt, everyone’s comfort food. We know that a piece of chicken is never enough. So let’s fry a whole one!
Whole fried chicken is best served when everyone in the family want fried chicken. (Also works if I want a whole fried chicken for myself). Instead of coating a piece of chicken into the breading one by one, frying a whole chicken is super convenient especially if you have less time. Less time, eeffort, and most of all, less oil splattering (which we hate so much).
Moreover, the display of a whole fried chicken at a dinner table really looks so appetizing to they eyes. I often make homemade gravy when I fry a whole chicken. It is best paired with some french fries or mashed potatoes or simply with hot steaming rice.
HOW TO MAKE WHOLE FRIED CHICKEN
There is only one thing you need to do to enjoy this dish– fry it whole. But of course before frying, we put flavor into the chicken so it will be finger-lickin!
Make sure that the chicken is thawed beforehand. Wash the chicken and lay it on a tray. Make a long cut on the breast area of the chicken. It should look like a butterfly when laid flat. Crack some joints to make it flatter.
Season the chicken with a nice blend of spices and seasonings. You can use spice mixes but the ones listed here are already enough. Let it marinate well before we fry it.
Before cooking, crack and egg and put some cornstarch on the chicken. In this recipe, I used crispy fry #NotPaid. I added a cup of flour to reduce its saltiness.
To make things easier, I poured half of the breading and flour mixture in a tray before laying the chicken in there. Some of the breading already sticked to that bottom side of the chicken. For the top part, I manually sprinkled the breading until all parts are covered. Gently raise the wing part since it’s a bit folded and sprinkle some breading on it. Shake of excess breading.
The last thing to do is deep-frying. First fry the chicken using medium heat just until the skin is light brown. Let it rest to a strainer for around 15 minutes before double frying.
Make sure to make some slits in the bony parts of the chicken (thighs, wings, legs). Since the chicken is not boiled, the parts near the joints are more prone to undercooking. The slits will help the oil reach the bones and prevent bloody chicken.
Turn the heat on high and deep fry the chicken again for around 10 to 12 minutes. When the skin is golden brown and crispy, then it’s done! Transfer it to a serving platter and enjoy with some fries or rice. Also make some homemade gravy! Yum!
Whole Fried ChickenCourse: Chicken Recipes
1 kilo whole chicken
1/4 cup fish sauce
3 tablespoons calamansi juice (or lemon/lime juice)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon paprika powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 medium egg
2 packs (62 g) chicken breading mix
1 cup all purpose flour
Oil (for frying)
- Prepare and wash your chicken. Lay it on a flat tray. Cut the breast part open. Crack some of the joints to flatten it.
- Pour the fish sauce, calamansi juice, salt, ground black pepper, paprika powder and garlic powder (Divide the seasonings for both sides). Rub and massage the chicken for a few minutes to coat it well. Marinate the chicken for at least 1 hour or put it in the fridge if overnight.
- After marinating, crack an egg and put the cornstarch over the chicken. Rub the chicken to coat it well.
- Prepare the 2 packs of the breading mix into a bowl. Add the all purpose flour and mix well. Transfer the breading mixture to a tray.Coat both sides of the chicken with the breading mixture. Shake of excess breading.
- Heat a lot of oil in a pan using medium heat. Deep fry the chicken for 20 to 25 minutes on both sides. Flip to cook the other side. Transfer the fried chicken to a strainer to drain excess oil. Let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Strain the residues from the pan.
- Before double frying, make some slits in the thigh and wing part to cook it through the bones. Double fry the chicken for 10 to 12 minutes using medium high heat.
- Transfer the whole fried chicken to a serving platter. Serve with your favorite french fries or with hot steaming rice. Enjoy!
Whole Fried Chicken Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 1 kilo buong manok
- 1/4 tasa ng patis
- 3 kutsara ng calamansi juice (o lemon/lime juice)
- 1/2 kutsarita ng asin
- 1/2 kutsarita ng paminta
- 1 kutsarita ng paprika powder
- 1 kutsara ng garlic powder
- 1/4 tasa ng cornstarch
- 1 itlog
- 2 pakete (62 g) ng chicken breading mix
- 1 tasa ng harina
- mantika (pang-prito)
- Hugasan at ihanda ang manok. Ilagay ito sa isang tray. Hiwain ang pabandang pitso nito gamit ang gunting. Medyo basagin ang ibang joints para mas maging flat ang manok.
- Ilagay ang patis, calamansi juice, asin, paminta, paprika poweder at garlic powder sa manok (Hatiin ang mga ito para sa dalawang sides). I-rub ito sa manok ng maayos. I-marinate ang manok ng 1 oras o magdamag sa ref.
- Pagka-marinate, lagyan ng itlog at cornstarch ang manok. I-rub ito ng maayos.
- Ilagay sa isang bowl ang mga breading mix at ihalo ang harina. Lagyan ng breading mixture ang tray ng manok. I-coat ng breading ang parehong side ng manok.
- Magpainit ng maraming mantika gamit ang katamtamang apoy. I-deep fry ang manok ng 20 – 25 minuto sa bawat side. Huwag kalimutang baliktarin para maluto ang kabilang side. Ilipat ang pritong manok sa strainer para tumulo ang sobrang mantika. Hayaan lang ito ng 15 minuto.
- Alisin ang mga natira sa mantika.
- Bago I-double fry, tusuk-tusukin ang bandang hita at pakpak ng manok para pumasok ang mantika mamaya. Iprito ulit ang manok gamit ang katamtamang mataas na apoy ng 10 -12 minuto.
- Ilipat ang buong pritong manok sa serving platter. Samahan ng iyong favorite french fries o mainit na kanin. Enjoy!