Steamed pompano is made by steaming the fresh pompano fish with ginger, spring onion, salt and pepper and pouring a savoury sauce made with ginger, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, chili flakes, and spring onions which will truly enliven the classic tenderness of the fish.. Steamed Pompano is one of the tastiest steamed fish we can have. This yummy kitchen steamed pompano recipe will show you how to cook steamed Pompano very easy and simple way. If you ever wonder how to make a steamed fish look and taste extravagant? Let the ginger soy sauce do the magic for you! This fish dish will surely make you go extra rice!
WHAT IS POMPANO?
As the quote says, “there are many fish in the sea”, and pompano is one of them. Pompano is one of the most famous fishes you can usually see at the market. What makes it a crowd’s favorite is that this fish is in the medium variety, meaning, it medium in size, just right for one serving. This fish is characterized with its large, circular but flat body. The flesh of this fish has a delicate complex of flavors including sweet, salty, strong, and fresh taste.
Pompano can be used in a variety of dishes like, fried, steamed, pinangat and baked. Among the dishes, steamed pompano in ginger soy sauce is one of the most famous and most requested one.
STEAMED POMPANO WITH SOY SAUCE
I’ve been hearing about the ginger soy sauce in steamed fish for quite a time now. So as soon as I got some pompano from the market, it’s already the sign to cook one. From its looks, I know that this is another dish we got from the Chinese cuisine. I really love Chinese cuisine and is really looking forward for this one.
I usually fry my fish. But what I love about the steamed pompano is there is no talsik mantika action since the fish will be steamed and not fried. This dish is also perfect for those who wants to reduce their oil usage for the heart health.
What are you waiting for? Let’s try the steamed pompano and the ginger soy sauce today! Happy cooking!
HOW TO MAKE STEAMED POMPANO WITH GINGER SOY SAUCE
The steamed pompano recipe with ginger soy sauce is very easy to make.
Start by scoring the body of the pompano just to make sure that the steam will sip in the fish to cook it through. The fish is quite big so scoring is important. Let’s keep the fish mild and simply rub them with salt and pepper just to extract the natural flavors of the fish. Add some ginger and spring onions on its top.
Instead of plainly putting the fish inside the steamer, put it on a plate so that you can save the fish juices for later. The steaming time depends on how large the fish is. It is always better to check its doneness from time to time.
The last thing to prepare for this dish is the ginger soy sauce. This sauce is simply made by combining soy sauce, water and rice wine vinegar. You can also add some sugar if you like a hint of sweetness. For the ginger part of the sauce, we are going to infuse the flavors in some oil by sauteing ginger, spring onions and some chili flakes.
When the fish is done, pour the ginger soy sauce over the fish, making sure that some of the sauce sip into the scores on the body of the fish. I also added some sesame oil for a nutty flavor (optional).
I really like my steamed pompano with ginger soy sauce with some hot steaming rice. One fish is good for one person only so just do it in batches if you want to share some with your family. Yum!
Steamed PompanoCourse: Fish Recipes
1 piece pompano
1 thumb ginger (sliced)
Bunch of onion spring (sliced)
3 tablespoons of soy sauce
2 tablespoons of water
1 tablespoon chinese rice wine
2 tablespoons of oil
Chili flakes to taste
- Prepare and wash the fish. Score the body horizontally and vertically using a knife. Rub both sides with salt and pepper.
- Add the chopped ginger and spring onions on top of the fish.
- Heat some water. Steam the pompano. Cover the pan and cook the pompano using low heat for around 20 minutes until the fish is fully cooked. Add more water if needed.
- After 20 minutes, remove the fish from the steamer. Drain the liquids.
- Heat some oil in a pan. Add the chili flakes, ginger and the remaining spring onions. Cook and stir fry for 30 seconds. Turn the heat off.
- In a small bowl, add the soy sauce, water, and rice wine vinegar. Stir and mix well.
- Transfer the steamed pompano to a serving plate. Top it with the stir fried spring onions and ginger. Pour some of the soy sauce mixture and some sesame oil. Serve this with some hot steaming rice. Yum!
STEAMED POMPANO WITH GINGER SOY SAUCE RECIPE (TAGALOG)
- 1 piraso ng pompano
- 1 thumb luya (hiniwa)
- bugkos ng spring onions (hiniwa)
- 3 kutsara ng toyo
- 2 kutsara ng tubig
- 1 kutsara ng chinese rice wine
- 2 kutsara ng mantika
- Chili flakes
- Ihanda at hugasan ang isda. Lagyan ng hiwa pataas at pahiga ang katawan nito. Budburan ng asin at paminta ang parehong sides nito.
- Ilagay ang hiniwang luya at spring onions sa ibabaw ng isda.
- Magpakulo ng tubig para sa steamer at I-steam ang pompano. Takpan ang steamer at lutuin ito gamit ang mahinang apoy ng 20 minuto hanggang maluto ang isda. Magdagdag ng tubig kung kailangan.
- Pagkatapos ng 20 minuto, alisin ang isda sa steamer at alisin ang sabaw.
- Magpainit ng mantika. Ilagay ang chili flakes, luya at ang natitirang spring onions. Lutuin ito ng 30 seconds saka patayin ang apoy.
- Sa maliit na bowl, paghaluin ang toyo, tubig at rice wine vinegar.
- Ilipat ang steamed pompano sa serving plate. Lagyan ito ng stir fried spring onions at ginger. Ibuhos ang ginawang sauce at lagyan ng konting sesame oil. Ihain ito kasama ng mainit na kanin. Yum!