Steamed Cassava cake is a dessert made of fresh grated cassava, coconut milk, eggs and condensed milk to sweeten it up and steamed to cook it instead of traditional way of baking, then topped with custard topping made of coconut cream and egg yolks. Some may also have jackfruit or macapuno (coconut preserves) as topping. This steamed cassava cake recipe will show you ingredients list and step by step procedure. Simple follow it and you will get a scrumptious steamed cassava cake.
Steamed Cassava Cake
Steamed Cassava cake is a little bit different from traditional ones. Instead of baking, we use steamer to cook the cassava cake. The toppings differ as well in this version. I wanted to mimic the look of those traditional baked Cassava cake that’s why I used caramelized sugar at the bottom of the baking pan (llanera). This way, when you overturn or flip the baking pan, the bottom with caramel will be the top when serving.
Since we completely skip the custard topping, the taste would be a little different. But no less, this steamed cassava cake would still be a delight. The sweetness of the caramel (with a hint of bitterness, just very slight) together with the moist, fudgy cassava made this dessert so scrumptious and mouthwatering.
How to Cook No-bake Cassava Cake
Cooking cassava cake is pretty simple especially if you are using pre-grated cassava. All you need to do is to combine all the ingredients, bake in a preheated oven, once firmed, add the custard topping, broil and you’re done! But some of you are asking for no-bake or no oven versions.
In no oven cassava cake, there would be additional steps like caramelizing sugar to make the bottom almost similar to baked one. Start by preparing the cassava. If you are using frozen grated cassava, just thaw it and squeeze some of the liquid and ready to go. If you are using fresh ones, start by grating it using fine grater (for smooth texture). After grating, squeeze some of the liquid. Then, add the other ingredients and mix well.
As for the caramel, you can either cook it directly in the llanera or baking pan OR cook in pan and just pour on each llanera. Let it cool completely before adding the cassava mixture. It will harden as it cools down but it’s okay. The steaming process will melt it and somehow blend to the cassava mixture.
For Cassava Cake with Costing, read down below.
Steamed Cassava CakeCourse: DessertCuisine: Filipino
1 kilo Cassava (kamoteng kahoy)
1 can condensed milk (390g)
1 small can evaporated milk (140ml)
2 large eggs
4 tablespoon margarine or butter
8 tablespoon sugar (for the caramel)
- Caramelizing sugar. Put 2 tablespoon sugar in each llanera. Cook in low heat until it starts to dissolve and caramelizes. Use tong to swirl the sugar around to cook evenly and avoid burning. Cook until the sugar turns amber color. Set aside and let it cool completely.
- Grate the fresh cassava. Use fine grater for smoother texture. After grating, squeeze some of the excess juice of the cassava (DO NOT squeeze too hard, just enough to remove excess juice).
- In a mixing bowl, combine the grated cassava, eggs, evaporated milk, condensed milk and melted margarine. Mix until well-combined.
- Pour some of the mixture in llaneras with caramelized sugar. Put around ¾ content to prevent overflowing as you steam.
- Arrange the llaneras in the steamer. Make sure the water in the steamer is already boiling. Steam for 45 to 60 minutes using medium heat.
- Once cooked, remove from steamer. Let it cool a little before unmolding.
- Best served with grated cheese on the top. Enjoy!
Watch how to Cook Cassava Cake without Oven
- In this recipe, you can use frozen grated cassava. Just thaw it before using. If the frozen cassava has juice on it, make sure to squeeze some of it before mixing with the other ingredients.
- For those who are wondering if cassava flour can be used in this recipe, the answer is NO. It has different texture compared to fresh cassava and it is not appropriate for this recipe.
- For those who have oven and want to bake this, use bain-marie or water bath method. Bake at 180C for 40 to 50 minutes. Cover the baking pan or llaneras with aluminum foil.
- Be careful not to overcooked the caramel. Burnt sugar taste bitter and give darker color to the caramel.
- I made 4 large llaneras in this recipe. If you want more, just multiply the ingredients depending of how many yields you want.
For Cassava Cake with Costing, read down below.
Steamed Cassava Cake for Business with Costing
YIELD: 4 LARGE LLANERAS
- 1 kilo Cassava (kamoteng kahoy) = 50.00
- 1 can condensed milk = 31.00
- 1 small can evaporated milk = 12.00
- 2 large eggs (8 each) = 16.00
- 4 tablespoon margarine = 10.00
- Sugar (8 tbsp)(for caramel) = 8.00
- Tubs (500 ml) 5.00 each x 4 = 20.00
TOTAL: 147 PHP
Plus other expenses (gas, tranpos, etc) 20.00 = 167php
167php ÷ 4 = 41.75
SRP: 41.75 + 40% to 50% expected tubo = 63.00 PHP
NOTES TO CONSIDER
- Ang mga prices ng ingredients ay pwedeng magkaiba iba depende kung gaano karami ang binili, sa brand ng item at kung saan binili. Ang mga prices na nakaindicate sa taas ay ang actual na presyo ng mga ingredients na ginagamit ko sa recipe na ito.
- Dine sa amin, may nagbebenta ng 70 to 80php for LARGE 50 to 65 for MEDIUM.. Depende na po sa inyo ang presyo or depende din sa packaging. Mas maramihan na luto, mas makakamura sa cost.
Cassava cake is one of the best cassava recipe and is made by using grated cassava. If you are looking for how to cook cassava then this is the one of the cassava recipes for you. If you are looking for how to make cassava cake then this recipe will guide you step by step to make coconut cassava cake with cassava cake ingredients and procedures