Corn dogs are made by dipping hot dogs in scrumptious batter made by corn meals and frying it. But here we used all purpose flour, sugar, dry yeast, salt, cinnamon powder, ketchup and cooking oil to make it quick and easy and also for those who do not have corn meal. This Quick and Easy Corndogs is basically a hotdog covered with a thick batter like dough and breadcrumbs fried to a beautiful golden brown and is ready to be eaten for on the go, as an afternoon snack, movie night, and just anywhere. This quick and easy corndog dish just needs a few ingredients and even fewer steps to make to create this happy dish. Why not have a go and try it out yourself?
A short history on the Corndog
The corndog was invented in 1927, by Stanley S. Jerkens who patented the corndog. Though many also believe that Neil Fletcher was the person who created this treat in a 1942 Texas State Fair. With many more debating whom the first inventor might be. While many see the corndog as part of the American cuisine, hotdogs and sausages came from Germany and were brought in to America by German immigrants. This dish then got incorporated in American culture and was credited to the US for its creation. It slowly went its way around the world and became a popular street snack, frozen and found in groceries that you would just need to pop in the microwave after thawing or even refrying or baking to heat it up. It got to be so popular that there’s even a National Corndog day celebrated every first Saturday of March that coincides with the NCAA Men’s Division Basketball championship. In national hotdog day you can also find people eating tater tots aside from the hotdog and a cold can of American beer.
Why try these Quick and Easy Corndogs?
What’s more satisfying than a crispy bite of a corndogs that oozing with cheese and a juicy hotdog? This deep-fried and ready to go snack is representative of summer time where kids and a teens alike buy corndogs from street vendors, and recently has been in on the trend again as Korean corndogs are getting popular, with it’s crisp and sweet outer shell and an aesthetically pleasing cheesy center that’s been shared all throughout different social media. This delectable snack is like the upgraded version of pigs in a blanket or a pretzel dog but with a more sinfully delightful texture. It even has a lot of variations like the ‘corn brat’ which is the corndog but with a bratwurst instead of a hotdog, ‘corn puppies’ or ‘mini corn dogs, and even a breakfast version which uses pancake mix instead of the usual cornmeal or dough like batter.
For this corndog recipe, all you need is a dough mix made of flour, sugar, dry yeast, and water that’s then covered to give to rise and give you that nice bready texture when its cooked. While waiting, slice the hotdogs in half and cheese cubes with the same width of the hotdog make it look even when coated. Pierce the hotdog and cheese using a chopstick or a barbeque stick. Coat these in the dough and start rolling to fully coat the skewered cheese and hotdog. The dough should be thick and sticky enough to cover this. After, place this in a bed of breadcrumbs and coat these evenly. Fry this in a pan with hot oil, till all the sides are nicely golden in color. This then cooled and sprinkled with a sugar and cinnamon mix, a drizzle of Siracha or ketchup. and finally, it’s ready to be enjoyed!
Give your kids or yourself some crispy, cheesy, delicious goodness to snack on in the afternoon. Try out this recipe and enjoy it with a slather of spicy sauce and a nice cold glass of ice tea!
Quick and Easy CorndogsCourse: SnacksCuisine: American
A quick and chunky afternoon snack kids will love!
3 cooked hotdogs
1 ½ cup all purpose flour
5 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon dry yeast
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- In a shallow pan, mix all purpose flour, sugar, dry yeast, and salt. Add water and mix well till there are no dry flours left.
- Cover the pan in plastic wrap, proof for 45 minutes or till the dough has doubled in size.
- Slice the steamed hotdogs in half. Slice the cheese into cubes with the same width of the hotdog. Assemble by pierce the hotdog and cheese with a chopstick.
- After the dough has risen, dip the skewered hotdogs in and start turning the skewer in one direction till this is evenly coated with the dough. Then roll this in breadcrumbs, make sure all the sides are fully coated.
- Place the corndog in a pan with hot oil and fry each side for 5 minutes or until golden brown in color. Take the corndog out to cool for a few minutes.
- Mix the cinnamon and sugar to make the sweet coating. Place the corndog in and coat evenly.
- Enjoy with some siracha or ketchup.
Quick and Easy Corndogs (tagalog)
- 3 luting hotdogs
- 1 ½ tasa harina
- 5 kutsarang asukal
- 1 kutsaritang lebadura
- ½ kutsaritang asin
- 1 tasa tubig
- 1 kutsaritang cinnamon powder
- Sa mababaw na trey, haluin ang harina, asukal, lebadura, at asin. Lagyan ng tubig at haluin hangagang wlang natitirang tuyong harina.
- Takpan ang tray ng plastic wrap and iwanin ng 45 na minuto o hanggang dumoble ito ng laki.
- Hiwain ang mga hotdog sa kalahati. Hiwain ang mga keso sa cube na may kasing laki na lapad. Para ayusin, isaksak ang hotdog at keso sa chopstick.
- Paglumaki na ang masa, isawsaw ang hotdigs at iikot ikot hanggang matakpan ng masa ang hotdog at keso. Pagkatapos irolyo ito sa breadcrumbs. Siguraduhing natatakpan ang bawat gilid.
- Ilagay ang mga corndog sa kawali na may mainit na mantika at lutuin ang bawat gilid ng 5 minuto o hanggang mag kayumanggi ang kulay. Tanggalin at palamigin ng ilang minuto.
- Haluin ang cinnamon at asukal para gawin ang matamis na panlabas. Ilagay ang corndog dito at ipahid ng maayos.
- Ienjoy na may kasamang siracha at ketchup.