Pork menudo is a Filipino pork stew made by stewing pork pieces, pork liver, potatoes, bell peppers, hotdogs, carrots, in a sauce made by tomato sauce, onion, garlic, bay leaves, pork cube, gratedd cheese, sugar, raisins, pepper and salt. This Pork menudo recipe will guide you to cook one of the best pork menudo you ever had. Pork menudo is best eaten with steamed rice! Try and make some today!
Pork menudo is one among the Pinoy classic ulams. When it comes to fiestas and celebrations, pork menudo is always present. Since the pandemic started and the gatherings are very very limited, pork menudo had also become a usual ulam for your family night.
What I love about pork menudo is that aside from the ingredients written below, you can literally add any ingredient you like. Pork menudo is like the salad among the meat dishes!! It contains a lot of flavors, colors and textures. Even the kids will surely love this!
HOW TO COOK PORK MENUDO
The steps in making a pork menudo are very simple and straightforward. Once the ingredients are prepared, the steps would be super easy. Lets start cooking to see the final look!
To start, stir fry the pork, pork liver, potatoes, carrots and hotdogs separately until all of them are light brown. (Don’t forget to marinate the pork liver and the pork kasim). When all the ingredients are ready, we are going to cook them until they all come together to one flavorful dish. When all the veggies and hotdogs are stir fried, set them aside.
Start the dish base by sauteing the aromatics and then followed by the pork kasim. Add the tomato paste (you can also use 1 cup of tomato sauce. Pour some water and the pork broth cube. After some simmering time, add the veggies and then cook again until they are tender. Do the fork test to check the tenderness.
The last set of ingredients are totally optional. You can add green and red bell peppers and raisins (oh no). Once the dish really came together. Allow them to cook for a few minutes first before transferring to a serving dish. Enjoy!
Pork MenudoCourse: Pork Recipes
1 kilo pork kasim (cut into smaller pieces)
250 grams pork liver (cut into small chunks)
3 tablespoons tomato paste (or 1 cup tomato sauce)
1 medium onion (chopped)
5 cloves of garlic (minced)
4 pieces hotdogs
2 small potatoes (diced)
1 medium carrot (diced)
3 – 5 pieces dried bay leaves
1 piece pork broth cube
1/2 cup red and green bell peppers
1 cup water (adjust as needed)
1/4 cup raisins (optional)
1/3 cup grated cheese (optional)
1 tablespoon sugar (to taste) (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the pork kasim into medium chunks and transfer it to a bowl. Add the soy sauce and calamansi juice and then mix well. Let it marinate for 30 minutes.
- Cut the pork liver into serving pieces and put them in a bowl. Add the soy sauce and calamansi juice and then mix well. Let it marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat some oil in a pan. Add the potatoes and stir fry until light brown. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add the carrots and stir fry until light brown. Set aside.
- Add the hotdogs and stir fry unti light brown. Set aside.
- Add the marinated pork liver (separate the marinade) and then sear using high heat until light brown. Set aside.
- Saute the garlic and onions for a few minutes until light brown. Add the marinated pork and saute until it changes color. Add the tomato paste and stir until well blended.
- Add the pork broth cube and water. Stir gently. Cover the pan and let it simmer for 30 – 35 minutes until the pork is tender.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, hotdogs, pork liver, and dried bay leaves. Stir gently until well combined. Cover the pan and let it simmer for 5 – 8 minutes until the veggies are fully cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper. Do a taste test and balance the taste using sugar. Add some grated cheese if you like.
- Add red and green bell peppers and raisins (optional). Let it cook for a few more minutes until the sauce becomes thicker.
- Transfer the pork menudo to a serving plate. Enjoy this with hot steaming rice! Yum!
Pork Menudo Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 1 kilo pork kasim (hiwain sa maliliit na piras)
- 250 grams atay ng baboy (hiniwa ng chunks)
- 3 kutsara ng tomato paste (o 1 tasa ng tomato sauce)
- 1 sibuyas (hiniwa)
- 5 butil ng bawang (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 4 piraso ng hotdogs
- 2 maliit na patatas (hiniwa ng cubes)
- 1 carrot (hiniwa ng cubes)
- 3 – 5 piraso ng dahon ng laurel
- 1 pork broth cube
- 1/2 tasa ng red and green bell peppers
- 1 tasa ng tubig
- 1/4 tasa ng raisins (optional)
- 1/3 tasa ng grated cheese (optional)
- 1 kutsara ng asukal (to taste) (optional)
- Asin at paminta
- Hiwain ang karne at ilipat sa isang bowl. Lagyan ito ng toyo at calamansi saka haluin. Imarinate ito ng 30 minutes.
- Hiwain ang atay ng baboy at ilipat sa isang bowl. Lagyan ito ng toyo at calamansi saka haluin. Imarinate ito ng 30 minutes.
- Magpainit ng mantika. Iprito ang mga patatas hanggang maging light brown. Isantabi.
- Sa parehas na kawali, iprito ang mga carrots hanggang maging light brown. Isantabi.
- Iprito ang mga carrots hanggang maging light brown. Isantabi.
- Ilagay ang atay ng baboy (alisin ang marinade) at iprito gamit ang malakas na apoy hanggang maging brown. Isantabi.
- Igisa ang sibuyas at bawang ng ilang minuto hanggang maging light brown. Sunod na ilagay ang baboy at igisa hanggang mag iba ng kulay. Ilagay ang tomato paste at haluin ng mabuti.
- Ilagay ang pork broth cube at lagyan ng tubig. Haluin. Takpan ang kawali at hayaan itong maluto ng 30 – 35 minuto hanggang lumambot ang baboy.
- Ilagay ang patatas, carrots, hotdogs, atay ng baboy at dahon ng laurel. Haluin ng mabuti. Takpan ang kawali at hayaan itong maluto ng 5 – 8 minuto hanggang maluto ang mga veggies.
- Budburan ng asin at paminta. Tikman at iadjust ang lasa gamit ang asukal. Maglagay ng grated cheese (optional).
- Huling ilagay ang red at green bell peppers at raisins (optional). Hayaan itong maluto ng ilang minuto hanggang maging malapot ang sabaw.
- Ilipat ang pork menudo sa serving plate. Ihain ito kasama ng mainit na kanin. Enjoy!