Pineapple chicken afritada is a Filipino Chicken dish made by simmering chicken pieces, carrot chunks, pinapple chunks, potato chunks in a sauce made with soya sauce, tomato sauce, bell pepper, onion, garlic, bay leaf, green peace, fish sauce and pepper. It is a tomato-based dish best serve during different celebrations or even just on your family dinner night. It is best served with rice and be eaten during major meals. The different colors, flavors and textures in this dish definitely makes it a mouth-watering one.
PINEAPPLE CHICKEN AFRITADA
Afritada is another Filipino dish which was influence by the Spanish cuisine. The afritada came from the word “fritada” which means fried. It is a braised dish commonly with pork, chicken or beef and is enhanced with the flavors from different vegetables like carrots, potatoes and bell peppers. The modern afritada uses a lot more variety of ingredients including hotdogs, green peas and sometimes ham cubes to expand the dish.
Afritada is commonly confused with other tomato-based dishes like menudo, pochero and caldereta. What’s unique with afritada is that it usually uses bone-in chicken pieces and does not include chicken liver. This recipe levels up the classic afritada we know by adding another layer of flavor from the pineapple chunks. This now sweet and sour dish will surely capture your appetite and will leave you wanting for more. For the best experience, pineapple chicken afritada is served with rice.
HOW TO MAKE PINEAPPLE CHICKEN AFRITADA
In making pineapple chicken afritada, prepare the vegetables by stir-frying the carrots and potatoes separately and then set aside. In the same pan, sauté the onion, garlic and chicken and let the chicken cook. The chicken is done cooking when there is no blood anymore. During this time, add the water and the magic ingredient—the pineapple juice. Add the seasonings and let it simmer. Mix the ingredients well and wait for the sauce to thicken. Add the green peas and return the stir-fried vegetables in the pan. Allow the chicken afritada to simmer and then add the pineapple chunks and the bell peppers. Continue simmering until all components in the pan are cooked well. The pineapple chicken afritada is now ready for serving.
Pineapple Chicken AfritadaCourse: Chicken Recipes
1 small carrot, chunks
1/2 kilo chicken
227g pineapple chunks
1 medium-sized potato, chunks
1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 medium-sized onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 pcs bay leaf
1/4 cup soy sauce
70g green peas
250g tomato sauce
1 tablespoon tomato paste
fish sauce to taste
pepper to taste
- Heat some oil in a pan. Stir fry each of the vegetables separately until slightly-cooked and then set aside.
- Sauté the onions and garlic. Add the chicken pieces and cook until slightly brown. When there is no blood from the chicken, add 1/2 cup water. Add the pineapple juice, soy sauce and bay leaves. After a few minutes of simmering, add the tomato sauce and tomato paste.
- Reduce the fire and let it simmer for 30 minutes with the pan cover lid on. Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste. Continue simmering for another 5 minutes. When the sauce thickens, add the green peas.
- Return the stir-fried carrots and potatoes in the pan. Season with fish sauce and black pepper. Simmer for another 2 minutes. Add the pineapple chunks and the red and green bell peppers. Stir gently. Simmer for another 1 minute.
- Turn off the heat and transfer the pineapple chicken afritada in a serving dish. Serve and enjoy.