Do you know that there is one food that is believed to give you longer life? Confirm it yourself by trying this pancit recipe! Pancit bihon is a classic Filipino dish made with rice noodles topped with meat and different veggies. It’s literally a burst of flavor in one bite!
Pancit is almost a staple to every Filipino celebration. There are different variants of pancit and one of the most popular one is the pancit bihon. Pancit bihon is known for its thin white rice noodles that becomes glassy or translucent when cooked. It is also called pancit guisado since the toppings that goes with the noodles are sautéed or “ginisa” in tagalog, hence the term “guisado”. This dish goes well on its own but a lot of people eat this with a slices of bread, kind of making it a sandwich. Some people eat it with rice too!
Pancit bihon is believed to be associated with longer and prosperous life mainly because the noodles are long. Eat a wonderful dish and have longer life, why not try this dish now? This is it, pancit!
HOW TO COOK PANCIT BIHON
To start with the pancit bihon, start with preparing the toppings. The toppings will be composed of stir-fried meat and veggies. Heat a little oil in a pan and sear the pork belly. There will be a lot of bubbles when searing the pork and that is normal. Add the garlic and onions and saute. The next ingredient to be added is the chicken liver. This will give the pancit bihon amazing bits of creamy goodness due to its unique texture. For some umami taste, pour a spoon of oyster sauce and some soy sauce. For the next steps, you will add the other vegetables one by one while sautéing. You could actually use the vegetables of your choice but the ones included in this recipe are the most recommended and promising ones. The chopped cabbage is added in last since it cooks rapidly. Once the toppings are done, transfer them to a container and drain the sauce.
Now for the pancit bihon noodles, start with boiling 4 to 5 cups of water in a pot. Before we boil the noodles, let us first give the broth a wonderful taste that will sip in the noodles. Add a piece of shrimp broth cube in the water and stir until it dissolve. You may want to crumble the broth cube into small pieces before putting in the water to dissolve faster. When the water boils, add some soy sauce and oyster sauce. Umami taste for both toppings and noodles? Jackpot! Taste the saltiness of the broth and adjust using fish sauce. Reserve some of the broth. This will be added in case the noodles are not fully cooked later.
Add the bihon noodles and let it soften before separating the strands. Using kitchen tongs will make this step easier. Let the bihon cook until all the flavorful broth has been absorbed. Do a taste test to check if the noodles are fully cooked and add the reserved broth if not. Add the toppings to the noodles and toss gently. You may want to add some freshly chopped kinchay for a fresh taste. Transfer your cooked pancit bihon in a serving dish and drench with some calamansi before digging in!
Pancit BihonCourse: Noodle Recipes
250 grams Bihon (rice noodles)
1 medium onion (chopped)
4 cloves garlic (minced)
1/2 cup pork belly (sliced thinly)
1/2 cup chicken liver
3-4 cups chopped cabbage
1 small carrot (strips)
1/2 cup snowpeas (or green beans)
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 medium bellpepper
4 tablespoon oyster sauce
3 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 piece shrimp broth cube
1/2 tablespoon sugar (optional)
2 tablespoon chopped kinchay
oil for searing
- Heat some oil in a pan and add the pork belly. Sear until slightly browned. Add onions and garlic then saute. Add the chicken liver and season with black pepper. Saute until the liver is cooked. Add the soy sauce and 1-3 tablespoons of oyster sauce. Stir until well combined.
- Add the carrots, snow peas, bell pepper, and stir fry for a few minutes. Add the cabbage and stir fry until the cabbage has slightly softened.
- Transfer the meat and veggies to a container and drain the sauce as much as possible.
- On the same pan, add 4 to 5 cups of water. Add the shrimp broth cube and stir until the broth cube is dissolved. Let the water boil. Add the soy sauce and oyster sauce. Test for saltiness and adjust using fish sauce. You may also add some sugar. Reserve some of the broth.
- Cook the pancit bihon in the broth. When the noodles has softened, separate the strands. Cook until the broth has dried up. Do a taste test to check if the noodles are fully cooked. If not, add some of the reserved broth to fully cook the noodles.
- Add the stir fried meat and veggies and stir until well-combined. Add the freshly chopped kinchay. Toss the pancit gently. Transfer to a serving dish.
- Drench some calamansi juice before eating. Enjoy!
Pancit Bihon Recipe (Tagalog)
- 250 grams Bihon (rice noodles)
- 1 sibuyas (hiniwa)
- 4 butil ng bawang (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 1/2 tasang pork belly (hiniwa ng maninipis)
- 1/2 tasang atay ng manok
- 3-4 tasang repolyo (hiniwa)
- 1 maliit na carrot (hiniwa ng maliliit na haba)
- 1/2 tasang sitsaro (o green beans)
- 1 kutsaritang durog na paminta
- 1 bell pepper
- 4 na kutsarang oyster sauce
- 3 kutsarang toyo
- 1 kutsarang patis
- 1 piraso ng shrimp broth cube
- 1/2 kutsarang puting asukal (optional)
- 2 kutsarang kinchay (hiniwa)
- Magpainit ng mantika sa kawali. Ilagay ang hiniwang pork belly at iprito hanggang maging light brown. Sunod na ilagay ang sibuyas at bawang at igisa kasama ang pork belly. Sunod na idagdag ang atay ng manok. Igisa ito hanggang sa maluto. Ilagay ang toyo at 1 hanggang 3 kutsara ng oyster sauce at haluin ng mabuti.
- Sunod na ilagay ang carrots, sitsaro at bell pepper. I-stir fry ang mga ito ng ilang minuto. Ilagay ang mga hiniwang repolyo at haluin ng mabuti. Iluto ito hanggang sa lumambot at maluto ang repolyo. Ilipat ang nilutong karne at gulay sa isang lalagyan at i-drain ang sauce neto.
- Sa parehas na kawali, maglagay ng 4 hanggang 5 na tasa ng tubig. Ilagay ang shrimp broth cube at haluin hanggang sa matunaw. Hayaang kumulo ang tubig. Ilagay ang toyo at oyster sauce at haluin ang broth. Tikman para malaman kung tama na ang alat. Iadjust ang alat gamit ang patis. Magtabi ng kaunting broth.
- Ilagay ang bihon noodles. Kapag malambot na ito, paghiwahiwalayin ang strands para mas mabilis itong maluto. Iluto ang pancit hanggang sa matuyo na ang broth. Tikman kung luto na ang bihon noodles. Kung hindi pa, ilagay ang itinabing broth hanggang sa maluto ang bihon.
- Ilagay sa noodles ang gulay at karne at haluin mabuti. Ilagay ang hiniwang kinchay at haluin ulit.
- Ilipat ang pancit bihon sa serving dish.
- Lagyan ng pinigang calamansi ang bihon bago kainin. Enjoy!