No bake revel bars are a sweet decadent chocolate-y dessert that’s just an indulgent snack for the afternoon that you can do in a few minutes. It’s so easy to do even kids can also help make these it at home! Try this recipe out and enjoy the chocolate-y goodness anytime of the day at the comfort of your own home.
What are Revel bars?
Revel bars are usually a type of chewy dessert with a crunch; revel bars are mostly composed of oats, chocolate, nuts, and condensed milk. Sometimes it’s a bar made from 2 layers of crunchy rich and buttery oatmeal filled with a velvety sweet dark chocolate that’s chilled to form and enjoyed anytime of the day even as a midnight snack, paired with a hot beverage like tea and coffee, or a cold glass of milk.
In this cookie like brownie hybrid recipe balances the sweetness and richness of the gooey fudgy layer made of chocolate and peanut butter melted and mixed together creating a sweet and decadent filling in the middle with the simple cookie layer you can just easily do on your stovetop by cooking the instant oats, butter, and sugar together for a few minutes till the oats have been coated with the sugar butter mixture and has turned into a gorgeous honey color to be set aside, molded into a parchment lined pan by dividing the oat mixture into the first and 3rd layer with the 2ndlayer being the chocolate peanut butter filling, topped with a drizzle of chocolate and leftover oats if you have them. This tasty treat just needs to be chilled in the fridge till it’s hard enough to sliced into pieces and ready to be enjoyed with families or kept all to yourself!
Revel bars history
Before Revel bars turned into the crisp chocolate snack we all know today, they were actually closer to the texture of brownies back in the day. Revel bars were called this as ‘Revel’ meant ‘enjoying one’s self in a lively and noisy way, especially with drinking and dancing.’ This combination of oatmeal, cookies, and melted chocolate were said to be made by bakers who started becoming lively after eating the sweet treat, or maybe they started being lively after they created a sweet treat that they were proud of.
As some stories go, Revel bars used to be made by using boxed cake or brownie mixes. In the Philippines it didn’t get popular till the late 80’s or 90’s, usually seen as a party or holiday food, thus the ‘revel’ name was coined because it suited the celebration vibe of being lively and loud. These little squares can now be found at many bakeries or groceries for instant gratification or at home to make a customized Revel bar with your favorite chocolate, making it at home can also ensure that you can create a gluten free revel bar to suit your diet. Overall this dessert is a beloved treat chosen by many for its quick and easy mix of readily available ingredients you can make for a quick sweet fix.
Add this to your to do list for the weekend, and try out this sweet chocolate filled treat you can co in less than 10 minutes!
No bake Revel barsCourse: Snacks
A sweet quick fix for the afternoon
3 cups instant oatmeal
1 cup unsalted butter
½ cup brown sugar
1 cup dark chocolate (chopped)
1 cup peanut butter
- In a pan at medium heat, melt the butter and add the sugar, mix well. Add the oats and mix till all the oats are covered with the butter. Mixing this for 4 -5 minutes. Take it off the heat.
- In another bowl, place the chocolate and peanut butter. Melt in the microwave for 30 seconds. Mix well and set aside.
- Line a pan with parchment paper.
- Add a layer of oat mix, making sure to press it down to compress it. Add half of the chocolate and spread evenly. Add another layer of oat mix and drizzle some chocolate on top. Sprinkle the leftover oats.
- Cover and chill in the fridge for 2 hours or overnight.
- Take this out of the pan and slice into squares before serving.
No bake Revel bars recipe (tagalog)
- 3 tasa instant oatmeal
- 1 tasa mantikilya na walang asin
- ½ tasa kayumangging asukal
- 1 tasa dark chocolate (tadtad)
- 1 tasa peanut butter
- Sa kawali na may katamtamang init, tunawin ang mantikilya, haluin ang asukal hangang matunaw, dagdagan ng oats and haluin hangang matakpan ito ng mantikilya. Haluin ng 4 o 5 na minuto. Tangalin sa init.
- Sa isang mangkok haluin ang tsokolate at peanut butter. Initin sa microwave ng 30 segundo, haluin ng mabuti at itabi.
- Linyahan ng parchment paper ang pan.
- Ilugar ang kalahati ng oats, siguraduhin na pindutin ito ng pababa para macompress. Lagyan ng kalahati ng tsokolate at pantayin ang pagkalat. Ilugar ang natitirang oats sa itaas ng tsokolate, dekorasyonan ng natitirang tsokolate at oats sa taas nito.
- Takpan at palamigin sa fridge ng 2 oras o magdamag.
- Tangalin ito sa pat at hatiin ng parisukat bago ihanda.