Kamote Balls are Filipino sweet potato balls made with sweet potato, condensed milk, all purpose flour, corn-starch, baking powder and salt. Sweet potatoes are boiled and mashed and made a dough with other ingredients and fried. This sweet and delicious treat may be enjoyed as an appetizer or an afternoon snack. Kids will surely love this!
SWEET POTATO BALLS aka KAMOTE BALLS
Kamote balls is an amazing snack made using low cost and readily available ingredients. It is also very easy to prepare with just simple steps. It has been eaten as a sweet dessert for years but is not a popular dessert in the Philippines nowadays due to ready-to-eat foods. As we introduce this food to the new generation especially the children, they would love it. Kamote balls can be a healthier substitute especially to people who are so addicted to sweets. Since it is made from a starchy vegetable, it will make them full and satisfied without consuming too much.
HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO BALLS
Kamote or sweet potato is a type of starchy root vegetable. The skin of a sweet potato is brown but the insides are yellow or white. It has a naturally sweet taste and is often used in a wide variety of desserts. The boiled version of the sweet potato has a similar texture with boiled regular potatoes. In making dessert balls, kamote or sweet potato is the best to use. For this recipe, we are going to use sweet potatoes with yellow flesh instead of the ones with white or purple flesh.
In making the sweet potato balls, start by preparing the sweet potatoes. Boil or steam the sweet potato pieces and allow them to soften. Do not forget to do the fork test to check the softness of the sweet potatoes. Mash the sweet potato pieces using a fork. For a smoother and softer texture, let the boiled sweet potatoes pass through a strainer. After this step, all you got to do is to mix the other ingredients with the mashed potatoes until you form a dough. If the mixture is too dry, try adding drops of water. But be very careful on adding water because the dough must not be too wet. Knead the dough until all the ingredients are fully-blended and the dough is smooth and soft.
It’s frying time! Form small balls from the dough and drop these little sweet bombs on hot oil until golden brown. Transfer the cooked sweet potato balls in a strainer or on a tissue paper to drain the excess oil. Let it cool for a bit before serving.
You can enjoy these sweet kamote balls plain or use different sauces! You can also create different dips and coatings for your sweet potato balls. Some of the best recommendations for coating would be roasted sesame seeds, cinnamon sugar, chocolate sauce and white chocolate sauce with candy sprinkles. If you want a fancier sweet potato balls, you can add some fillings. It could be chocolate, caramel, fruit jams and literally anything you like. Put a stick on the sweet potato balls and now they are lollipops!
Sweet Potato BallsCourse: Snacks
1/2 kilo sweet potatoes (kamote)
1/2 cup condensed milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
- Wash and peel the sweet potatoes. Chop into small pieces. Soak in water to prevent darkening. Steam or boil until soft. Use fork test to see if the pieces are soft enough. Mash the sweet potatoes using a fork or wire whisk.
- Transfer the mashed sweet potatoes in a large mixing bowl. Add the condensed milk and salt. Mix well using a spatula.
- Add the all-purpose flour and cornstarch. Gently mix the ingredients well until you form a soft dough. Add the baking powder. Knead the dough until the baking powder is distributed within the dough.
- Form small balls from the sweet potato dough using your hands.
- Fry in batches under low-medium heat. Fry until golden brown. Transfer to a strainer or on a tissue paper to drain excess oil.
- Serve in a serving plate and enjoy it plain or with a dip or sauce.