Gourmet pasta for 9?! Yep you read that right! If you wanna spoil your family with some high class, restaurant style pasta, this recipe is for you! The lasagna roll up is a special pasta dish using lasagna noodles filled with cream cheese mixture and the classic meaty red sauce topped with gooey mozzarella cheese. No need to portion since all you needed to do is to get your own roll up and then eat them up!
LASAGNA ROLL UPS
Lasagna roll ups is one of the gourmet pasta dishes you need to try. It is super yummy, cheesy and meaty. For our family, we have another reason why we love this savoury pasta dish.
Pasta has always been our staple next to rice. With a very fulfilling feature and a subtle taste, the pasta is a blank canvass for the flavors we want to try. We love trying different pasta sauces like seafood marinara, pesto, aglia oglio, and many more. We usually use the usual spaghetti pasta noodle for our experiments.
So far, all of our pasta experiments are so great that everyone in the house loved them. But since we are many in the house, the last one to get their part of the pasta is the “lugi” one. That person has been left with a lesser portion than the others. We kind of tried to portion them beforehand but that strategy does not work all the time.
I have seen this lasagna roll up recipe for quite a time in Facebook. With our pasta dilemma, having an “already portioned” pasta will help save us time to think of a solution on portioning.
Since we are 9 in the house, I always aim to make 2 baking dishes of this lasagna roll ups so each of us can have 2 servings. With the two servings, all of us are really full!
If you are also having portioning dilemmas, or simply wanna know how to make some lasagna roll ups, simply read and follow the easy recipe below. Happy cooking!
HOW TO MAKE LASAGNA ROLL UPS
This pasta recipe requires more time and effort than your usual spaghetti pasta. It’s more fun to do when you have someone with you and use this as a bonding time!
Start by boiling your lasagna noodles. Just like your regular pasta, cook them according to packaging instructions. Most lasagna noodles packs contain 10 – 20 noodles. In this recipe, we only need 9 (or more, depending on the baking dish you’ll use).
For this recipe, we are going to prepare three types of sauces– the red sauce, the white sauce and the cream cheese mixture.
Let’s start with the red sauce. This sauce is similar to your spaghetti sauce, but is meatier and chunkier. Simply saute the aromatics, ground beef and then add the tomato sauce. When simmered well, set aside.
The white sauce is a milk-based and a cheesy one. Start by melting the butter before adding the milk and other seasonings. Lastly, add the cheese and cook until it melts. Make sure to use low heat to prevent the milk from scorching.
For the cream cheese mixture, simply combine the cream cheese, parsley and cheddar cheese. You can add more herbs and spices if you like.
The slightly tedious part of this recipe is rolling them noodles up. First, spread the cream cheese mixture and then the red sauce. Be careful on putting too much since it will be hard to roll them up. The filling must be generous enough but is also just right not to burst when rolled.
Make a layer of the red sauce in the baking dish before arranging the rolled lasagna. Add another layer of the red sauce, then the white sauce. Lastly, top the dish with grated mozzarella cheese. Bake the dish just until the cheese melts.
Top the lasagna roll ups with some parsley right before serving. Enjoy!
9 lasagna noodles
3/4 kilo ground beef
1 kilo tomato sauce
1 white onion (minced)
3 cloves of garlic
225 grams cream cheese
1/4 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
Pepper to taste
Salt to taste
1 cup of mozzarella cheese
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 tablespoons of butter
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- Pour some water in a pot. Add the lasagna noodles. Cook the noodles according to packaging instructions or until al dente. When cooked, drain the lasagna and set aside.
- For the red sauce, heat enough oil in a pan. Add the onions and garlic and saute for a few minutes. Add the ground beef and saute until no longer pink in color. Add the tomato sauce. Season with black pepper and mix well. Allow the mixture to simmer for at least 10 minutes or until the sauce slightly thickens. When thick, turn the heat off.
- For the white sauce, melt some butter in a pan. Add the flour and stir well until there are no lumps. Add the milk, nutmeg powder, salt and pepper. Stir until well mixed. Let this simmer until the sauce thickens. Add grated cheese and mix until the sauce is smooth and thick. When smooth, turn the heat off.
- For the cream cheese mixture, place the cream cheese in a bowl. Add the chopped parsley and grated cheddar cheese. Mix until well combined. Add the beaten egg and then mix well.
- Lay the cooked lasagna noodles in a clean flat surface. Spread some of the cream cheese mixture on the lasagna from top to bottom. Next, spread the red meat sauce. Roll the lasagna noodles gently. Do these steps with the rest of the lasagna noodles. Then, set aside.
- In a baking dish, spread some of the red meat sauce at the bottom. Carefully arrange the lasagna roll ups. Add a layer of the red sauce on top of the roll ups. Then, add a layer of the white sauce. Lastly, top the dish with grated mozzarella cheese.
- Preheat the oven at 180 C. Bake the lasagna roll ups for around 15 minutes or until the mozzarella cheese on top has melted.
- Take out the lasagna roll ups from the oven and garnish with some fresh parsley. Grab a slice and enjoy!
Lasagna Roll-ups Recipe (TAGALOG)
- 9 piraso ng lasagna noodles
- 3/4 kilo ng giniling na baka
- 1 kilo ng tomato sauce
- 1 puting sibuyas (hiniwa ng maliliit)
- 3 butil ng bawang (hiniwa)
- Parsley (hiniwa)
- 1 itlog
- 225 grams ng cream cheese
- 1/4 tasa ng cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 tasa ng mozzarella cheese
- 3 kutsara ng harina
- 2 kutsara ng butter
- 1/2 kutsarita ng nutmeg (optional)
- Maglagay ng maraming tubig sa isang pot. Ilagay ang lasagna noodles. Sundin ang packaging instructions o lutuin ito hanggang maging al dente. Kapag luto na, alisin ang noodles sa tubig at isantabi.
- Para sa red sauce, magpainit ng mantika sa kawali. Ilagay ang sibuyas at bawang at igisa ng ilang minuto. Sunod na ilagay ang giniling na baka at gisahin hanggang hindi na pink ang kulay neto. Ilagay ang tomato sauce at timplahan ng asin at paminta. Hayaan lang itong maluto ng 10 minuto o hanggang lumapot ang sauce. Patayin ang apoy.
- Para sa white sauce, tunawin ang butter sa isa pang kawali. Ilagay ang harina at haluin hanggang wala nang buo buo. Sunod na ilagay ang gatas, nutmeg powder (optional), asin at paminta. Haluin ito ng mabuti. Hayaan itong maluto hanggang lumapot ang sauce. Ilagay ang grated cheese at haluin hanggang matunaw ang cheese. Kapag smooth at malapot na ang sauce, patayin ang apoy.
- Para sa cream cheese mixture, ilagay ang cream cheese sa isang bowl. Ilagay ang hiniwang parsley at grated na cheddar cheese. Haluin ito ng mabuti. Huling ilagay ang binating itlog at haluin.
- Ilatag ang mga lasagna noodles sa malinis na flat surface. Lagyan ito ng cream cheese mixture at ispread pababa. Sunod na ilagay ang red meat sauce. Dahan dahang I-roll ang lasagna noodles para hindi matapon ang laman. Gawin ang mga steps na ito sa iba pang lasagna noodles. Isantabi.
- Lagyan ng konting red sauce ang baking dish. Dahan dahang iayos ang mga lasagna roll ups. Maglagay ng isa pang layer ng red sauce saka lagyan ng white sauce. Lagyan ang ibabaw nito ng madaming grated mozzarella cheese na pang toppings.
- I-pre heat ang oven sa 180 C. I-bake ang lasagna roll ups ng 15 minuto o hanggang matunaw ang mozzarella cheese sa ibabaw.
- Alisin ang lasagna roll ups mula sa oven at budburan ng konting parsley. Kumuha ng isang piraso at enjoy!