Kamote cheese rolls are sweet roll made with mashed sweet potato, all pupose flour, powdered milk and sugar with a cheese filling inside! The roll is dipped in a egg sauce, then coated with bread crumps and fried in oil. Follow our recipe to make this classic cheese rolls with a healthier upgrade. Try some kamote cheese rolls (sweet potato rolls) today!
KAMOTE CHEESE ROLLS
Kamote or sweet potato is a type of starchy root vegetable commonly found at the market. If you have seen a vegetable with a brown skin and a white inside, that’s probably sweet potatoes. Compared to regular potatoes, it is naturally sweet and is very smooth and cream-like when boiled and mashed. This is why sweet potatoes are considered a versatile root vegetable often used in many desserts and pastries.
Cheese rolls are one of my most-ordered ones from our local bakery. You won’t be needing any additional as the bread has already a cheese filling! Also, the bread has been rolled in sugar which satisfies my sweet tooth. I started baking may own cheese rolls when my favorite bakery stopped selling homemade breads.
Kamote cheese rolls is my way to upgrade the classic cheese rolls. The sweetness of the sweet potato dough perfectly balances the sharp taste of the cheddar cheese inside. Aside from being yummy, the nutritional benefits of kamote can also be enjoyed. These cheese rolls can be a healthier substitute especially to people who are so addicted to sweets. Since it is made from a starchy vegetable, it will make them full and satisfied without consuming too much.
Aside from personal consumption, this snack is so bentable! I tried selling some for the kids outside and they loved it! They didn’t even notice the taste change when I used kamote-based dough. You can use this hack if you want to add some vegetable in your food, especially when hiding it from your kids!
If you wanna make some for your snack or for your business, continue reading the recipe below! Happy cooking!
HOW TO MAKE KAMOTE CHEESE ROLLS
For this recipe, we are going to use sweet potatoes with yellow flesh instead of the ones with white or purple flesh. If you have tried making any cheese rolls or cheese balls in the past, you’re more likely familiar with the steps on making kamote cheese rolls.
The sweet potato will be the dominant and most important ingredient in this dish. Either steam or boil your sweet potato to cook them. Remember that the smaller your slices, the faster they will cook. In this recipe, I boiled the sweet potatoes until fork-tender. When soft, mash your sweet potatoes until smooth. Using a fork or potato masher will make this step easier. Add the rest of the ingredients until you form a dough. Prepare your arms for some arm work as you will be needing to knead the dough just to make it extra smooth and stretchy.
When your dough is ready, add in the surprise—the cheese! Grab a dough and shape it into a log form and then add the cheese strip. It is up to you how thick you want your cheese to be. As a cheese lover, the cheesier the better! I used eden cheese for my kamote cheese rolls. If you have a budget, you can try to use eden and a quick melt cheese for some ooeey gooey action!
The next steps will only involve dipping each of the kamote rolls in coatings to have that crispy crust. Fry the rolls until golden brown. The kamote cheese rolls are now ready to serve. Some versions I see put their kamote rolls on stick and then a sweet caramel sauce is drizzled. You can do that or simply serve the kamote rolls with the dip on the side.
You can also use this recipe as a guide if you want to make kamote cheese balls. Instead of shaping them into a log, simply roll them into balls. Happy cooking!
Kamote Cheese RollsCourse: Easy Meals, Snacks
½ kilo sweet potato
1 cup all purpose flour
½ cup sugar
½ cup powdered milk
cheddar cheese strips
1 egg (for coating)
1 cup bread crumbs (for coating)
oil (for deep frying)
- Place the sweet potato in a pot with enough water to cover them. Cover the pan and let it boil until soft.
- Poke with fork to test if it is cooked and soft enough.
- Drain the water and transfer the boiled sweet potatoes in a large bowl.
- Mash the sweet potatoes using a fork until smooth. Add the sugar, powdered milk and all purpose flour. Mix until well-combined. Knead for a few minutes until you form a smooth and sticky dough.
- Scoop some dough and form it into a log. Flatten the dough and add a cheese strip in the middle. Close the dough and roll it into a log again.
- Prepare your coatings—crack an egg on a plate and whisk; add some bread crumbs to a shallow plate.
- Dip the kamote roll in egg and then coat with bread crumbs. Do these steps with the rest of the ingredients.
- Heat a lot of oil in a pan. Deep-fry the kamote rolls using medium heat until golden brown. Flip to cook the other side.
- Transfer the fried kamote rolls in a strainer or paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Place the fried kamote rolls in a serving plate and serve with your favorite sweet dip! Enjoy!
Kamote Cheese Rolls (TAGALOG)
- ½ kilo kamote
- 1 tasa ng all purpose flour
- ½ tasa ng asukal
- ½ tasa ng powdered milk
- cheddar cheese strips
- 1 itlog (para sa coating)
- 1 tasa ng bread crumbs (para sa coating)
- mantika (para sa deep frying)
- Ilagay ang mga kamote sa kalderong may tubig. Takpan ang kaldero at pakuluan ang mga kamote hanggang lumambot.
- Tusukin ng tinidor ang kamote para ma-check kung malambot na.
- Alisin ang tubig at ilipat ang mga kamote sa isang malaking bowl.
- Durugin ang mga kamote gamit ang tinidor hanggang maging smooth. Ilagay ang asukal, powdered milk at harina. Haluin ng mabuti. Masahin ito ng ilang minuto hanggang magkaron ng smooth at malagkit na dough.
- Kumuha ng dough at i-roll ito ng pahaba. I-flatten ito at lagyan ng cheese strip sa gitna. Saraduhan ang dough at i-roll ulit ng pahaba.
- Ihanda ang coatings—magbati ng itlog sa isang pinggan; ilagay ang breadcrumbs sa isang pinggan.
- I-dip ang kamote roll sa itlog at icoat ng bread crumbs. Gawin ang mga steps na ito sa iba pang ingredients.
- Magpainit ng maraming mantika. I-deep fry ang kamote rolls gamit ang katamtamang apoy hanggang maging golden brown. Baliktarin para maluto ang kabilang side.
- Ilipat ang fried kamote rolls sa strainer o paper towel para tumulo ang sobrang mantika.
- Ilipat ang mga fried kamote rolls sa isang serving plate at ihain kasama ng iyong favorite sweet dip! Enjoy!