Chocolate Dream Cake is a scrumptious dessert, made with Chocolate cake bars, cocoa powder, sugar, milk, butter, corn starch, chopped chocolate and cocoa powder (for dusting). Chocolate Dream cakes are made of layers of chocolate goodness. From the moist chocolate cake layer to the hard chocolate shell layer, Chocolate dream cake is the ultimate dessert to try.
CHOCOLATE DREAM CAKE
One of the most notable features of a chocolate dream cake is its multiple layers of sweets and goodness. Some of the first ones that came out on its first year were made of up to 5 layers.
CHOCOLATE BASE: Dream cakes always start with the base. Moist chocolate cakes are the usual base to use for dream cakes. It is moist, soft and often fluffy which makes it the best base for this cake.
CHOCOLATE PUDDING: The next layer is the chocolate pudding. It is often made of cocoa powder, milk, sugar and butter. The glossy, smooth chocolate mixture creates a liquidly, moist layer for the dream cake. After this layer, dream cake must be chilled for a few minutes to set.
CHOCOLATE HARD SHELL: You’ll know it is dream cake when you have to break the top open to start enjoying it. This layer is made of pure chocolate that has been melted and spread over the top of the pudding layer.
COCOA POWDER: To finish the dream cake layers, a layer of unsweetened cocoa powder is dusted on the top of the dream cake. This is another key feature of every dream cake. The bitter taste of the cocoa powder complements well with the taste of chocolate and pudding.
HOW TO MAKE A NO-BAKE DREAM CAKE
If the only thing you have at home is a stove and pot, you can still make a dream cake. You can use a readily available cake bars to create a cake base.
In this recipe, instead of baking chocolate moist cake, I used store-bought cake bars. You can use either Fudgee Barr or Lava Cake (or the like). To create a cake base, just remove the wax paper on the bottom of each cake bars and arrange them in a container or tin can dish.
I used 6 inches by 2 inches round aluminum pan in this recipe, the ones the come with clear plastic lid. To fit in the round sides, I cut some of the cake bars and fit it in (like arranging a puzzle). That way, there will be no gaps.
As for the pudding layer, I used unsweetened cocoa powder, sugar and milk. To thicken it up, I added a little bit of cornstarch. Then to give it a glossy finish, I added butter.
For the hard layer, I melted the chopped chocolates using double-boiler method. Basically, you will melt the chocolate by putting it in a heat-proof bowl then place it on the top of the pot (with boiling water on it). The heat coming from the boiling water will melt the chocolate without directly touching it.
How to Make Chocolate Dream Cake
This chocolate dream cake recipe will guide you to how to make hot chocolate cake from scratch. Dream cake is very popular in Philippines and very tasty and delicious. This recipe for chocolate dream cake contains ingredients for chocolate dream cake also. Just enjoy your day with this chocolate dream cake
No-Bake Chocolate Dream CakeCourse: CakeCuisine: Filipino
Chocolate Cake bars (fudgee barr or lava cake)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup milk (evaporated or fresh milk)
1 tbsp. butter or margarine
2 teaspoon cornstarch or all-purpose flour
1/2 cup to 1 cup chopped chocolates
More cocoa powder for dusting
- FOR THE CAKE BASE: Remove the wax paper from each chocolate cake bar.
- Arrange the chocolate cake bars in a desired container or tub. Cut some of it into small pieces to fit the entire layer. This will be our cake base. Set aside.
- FOR THE PUDDING LAYER: In a pot, sift the cocoa powder, sugar and cornstarch. Sift to remove lumps. Mix well. Then, add the milk. Mix well until the powder is completely dissolved.
- Cook the mixture in low heat until thick. Stir continuously to avoid burning it. Use a silicone spatula to scrape the sides and bottom.
- Once the mixture becomes thickened, add the butter. Stir until smooth and shiny.
- Once cooked, remove from heat and pour the pudding mixture directly to the arranged cake base. Spread until all sides are covered with the chocolate mixture. Let it cool and chill for 30 minutes.
- FOR THE HARD CHOCOLATE LAYER: melt chopped chocolate or chocolate chips with either double boiler or microwave. For microwave, heat it for 1 minute. Stir until completely melted. Microwave for another 20 seconds if still not melted. For double boiler, put the chocolates in heat-proof bowl and place on the top of pot with boiling water. Stir until completely melted.
- Once the chocolates are melted, pour over the cake with chocolate pudding. This will be your hard layer. Spread all over the top to make sure the layer is completely covered with chocolate. Chill for 2 hours or until the top layer is firm.
- After chilling, dust the top with unsweetened cocoa powder. Break it open and enjoy!