Chicken Salpicao is a hearty chicken dish done in just a few steps and ingredients and yields great delicious results. No overcooking and chicken sucks up all the sauce and flavoring so easily you’ll be sure it’ll pack a punch with every bite! Give this Chicken Salpicao recipe a try and let the aromatic, slightly sweet, garlicky, and saucy oh so delicious dish just do all the talking. Perfect with more than just one bowl of rice and an iced cold drink to make the perfect lunch or dinner meal.
What is a Chicken Salpicao?
Chicken Salpicao is a dish with Portuguese and Spanish origins. The word ‘salpicar’ means ‘to fleck with’. The Portuguese version of the Salpicao includes sausages made of different blends of meat and is quite different with what we usually find here in the Philippines. Traditionally the Salpicao dish is made with beef cubes sautéed with garlic and olive oil. Mixed in with soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce fro an added intense flavor. The Chicken version of the Salpicao is as beloved as the beef version, a healthier option that uses a meat packed with protein but leaner. The chicken dish has fewer calories and fats and is sure to come out so tender it melts in your mouth within a few minutes compared to its red meat counterpart. This dish is eaten as a ‘pulutan’ or bar snack, appetizer, or commonly placed into lunch boxes or made into a quick dinner meal especially for someone in a rush for time.
How can you do this in less than 15 minutes?
Chicken Salpicao is an easy peasy recipe that can be done even by amateur cooks! It’s such a forgiving dish that you can make it simply or dress it up by adding more herbs and spices like oregano, chili flakes, sili, and so much more especially if you have some knacking for something spicy.
All you need to do is choose your choice of chicken cut, using breasts may be the healthiest choice, though this may dry easily, as long as you make sure that the meat is cooked properly within a small amount of time like, similar to this recipe that just needs a few minutes, then it’ll sure come out perfectly juicy and tender. These are cleaned and sliced to bite sized pieces and mixed in with soy sauce in replacement of salt, calamansi to remove any gamey or foul smells of the chicken. Set aside to prepare the pan at low heat, melting the butter and sautéing the garlic to help it get soft and aromatic for the chicken after. You can also replace this with oil to brown the garlic and fry them to make a nice fried garlic topping after the dish is done. After it’s browned take these out, use a new pan or the same pan, melt butter, some mushrooms, and add the chicken in, cooking only till it changes color as we don’t want to overcook this. Seasonings like oyster sauce, or other spices you like to add are mixed in, with spring onions to add more color, sauté these for a few minutes to help the flavors just come together. Place the dish on a sizzling plate or nice looking platter and decorate them with a green sili and more spring onions. Ready to be enjoyed and ravished by friends and family.
Have a go and try out this quick to do recipe, and make your go to lunch or dinner recipe especially when you’re in a rush for time but still wants that punch of flavor.
Chicken SalpicaoCourse: Appetizers, MainCuisine: Filipino
The perfect buttery garlic and chicken combo ulam
½ kilo chicken breasts
1 tablespoon soy sauce
5 pieces calamansi juice
4 tablespoons butter
5 cloves garlic (sliced)
1 cup mushrooms
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
3 stalks spring onions (chopped)
1 teaspoon sugar
1 green chili
- Clean and chop the chicken breasts to bite-sized pieces.
- Place them in a bowl and mix in soy sauce, and calamansi juice. Set aside.
- In a pan at low heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter, sauté the garlic for 3 minutes. Brown the garlic and set aside.
- In another pan, melt 2 tablespoons butter and sauté the mushrooms. Add the marinated chicken and cook for 5 minutes or until it changes in color.
- Add the oyster sauce and stir. Add 2 stalks or chopped spring onions, sugar, and the cooked cloves. Mix well.
- Place it on a platter, top with a green chili with a sprinkle a stalk of spring onions.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
This Filipino stir-fry dish made with a flavorful mix of garlic, butter and spices to be sautéed with the chicken till tender and juice, adding additional sauce and flavorings. Best served solo with a can of ice cold beer on hand enjoyed with your group of friends or family, with a fresh batch of steaming white rice, or freshly made fried garlic rice as a packed lunch or easy healthy dinner you can easily do in a less than 15 minutes. This butter, garlic, mushroom chicken savory combo is surely worth a try!
Chicken Salpicao recipe (tagalog)
- ½ kilo dibdib ng manok
- 1 kutsarang soy sauce
- 5 piraso kalamansi juice
- 4 kutsatang mantikilya
- 5 butil ng bawang (hiniwa)
- 1 tasa kabute
- 1 kutsarang oyster sauce
- 3 tangkay dahon ng sibuyas (tinadtad)
- 1 kutsaritang asukal
- 1 berdeng sili
- Linisin at hiwain ang dibdib ng manok ng maliliit na piraso.
- Ilagay ang mga hinati sa mangkok at haluan ng soy sauce, kalamansi at itabi.
- Sa kawali na may mababang init, tunawin ang 2 kutsarang mantikilya, isama ang bawang at lutuin ng 3 minuto o hanggang magkayumanggi. Itabi.
- Sa panibagong kawali, tunawin ang 2 kutsarang mantikilya at lutuin ang kabute. Isama ang manok at lutuin ng 5 na minuto o hanggang magiba ng kulay.
- Idagdag ang oyster sauce at haluin. Wisikan ng 2 tangkay ng dahon ng sibuyas, asukal, at mga linutong bawang. Haluin.
- Ilugar sa plato, dekorasyonan ng sili at mga dahon ng sibuyas.
- Ihanda habang mainit at ienjoy!